IGNORED

Broken pins in 400 data socket.

Mulbin

Hi all,

I've had a missing pin for ages in the data port at the side of my Atari 400 (where the disk drive or cassette plugs in) and it still worked...but now another has dropped off through wear and it no longer functions!

Is there;

A. An off the shelf replacement for these sockets.

B. A tutorial in making and soldering new pins.

I really don't want to spend the next year looking for a donor computer!

The pins I'm reasonably sure are likely some sort of stainless steel, which in itself can be somewhat resistant to being soldered.

In every application I've seen (computer, perpipheral) they go through a 90 degree angle behind the plug then are attached to the motherboard.

A possible fix I can think of (assuming the break took place somewhere after the bend could be to find some donor pins and trim to size then just solder onto the stub that remains.

Then maybe reinforce the whole thing with a bit of hot-snot silicone glue.

The pins are .040 with .025 square tails, designed to withstand 25lb of axial force.

If you can find a supplier of a pair of pins that will work (there are two lengths before the bend) there would be 3D printed sockets available by the end of the week! Here's the relevant snippet from the SIO specs

704483367_Screenshot2019-09-25at08_59_08.thumb.jpg.4edbc308b35f1629749a0131fda49b3b.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/25/2019 at 10:02 AM, Mr Robot said:

The pins are .040 with .025 square tails, designed to withstand 25lb of axial force.

If you can find a supplier of a pair of pins that will work (there are two lengths before the bend) there would be 3D printed sockets available by the end of the week! Here's the relevant snippet from the SIO specs

704483367_Screenshot2019-09-25at08_59_08.thumb.jpg.4edbc308b35f1629749a0131fda49b3b.jpg

I’ve designed a socket, but cannot find pins, so haven’t posted it. Do you have an idea on where to get pins?

5 hours ago, Almost Rice said:

My off the shelf replacement was paper clip.  cut into shape of 90 degree bend and put it back in place and solder the in just the pin that broke.  Fast and I didnt need to get a replacement SIO port.

A paper clip will NOT stand up to the many plug / unplug cycles. This is a TERRIBLE idea.

We must find proper solutions.

:)

On 9/27/2019 at 11:14 PM, Kyle22 said:

A paper clip will NOT stand up to the many plug / unplug cycles. This is a TERRIBLE idea.

We must find proper solutions.

:)

As horrible as it seems, a large type paperclip does make useable pins.  I never put one in a male jack before, merely headed wires with bits of paperclip to plug into a female sio cable without having to cannibalize the cable to get what I wanted.  I think it is probably ok in the mid-run, but a fix like that in the actual 400's socket isn't the best bet.  I'd replace the sio connector with one from something less crucial, swap the  two.  I'm kinda curious how you got the pin to stay in the socket firmly.  Did you clip out the old broken pin and run it through and solder it down to the remaining pin inside the machine?  Remove the pin from the socket entirely and replace it with a paperclip?  I'd wipe the clip down with some wd40 to keep it from rusting....

Jeff

Edited by Technoid Mutant

Plugging in straight, by hand, individually is VERY different from a pin in an SIO connector mounted on a board. There must be a 90 degree bend, and there is where you lose all the strength. If you use a paperclip as a pin it will most likely get pushed back into the SIO connector and the 90 degree angle will be reduced by bending.