IGNORED

who likes the disc controllers and who does not?

vprette

do you like the Intellivision disc controller?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. do you like the Intellivision disc controller?

• Yes, wonderful!
    • No way, awful!
    • Useful only for some kind of games

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Spoiler

The cradle method the manuals suggested never felt secure or comfortable during important battles. Instead,

I hold an Intellivision controller sideways with my left thumb pressing the d-pad, and right hand holding over the top, ready to fire side buttons, or push numbers.

Spoiloid! Oops... misclick. Question to anyone: How do you hold an Intellivision controllers ? My answer is above.

I feel its far from awful, but not wonderful either. I vote (some games its okay), and others not. Space Armada just HURTS, but Tron games, maze games and that seem to work great with the d-pad and the controller design seemed to influence the future for sure. Most consoles of its area used a stick with just 1 red fire button. 

The Intellivision controller could have used softer side buttons and more durable disc, (in some consoles) the disc gets flattend over time. If a few quirks weren't holding it back, I'd give it the wonderful too.  

I do like the controllers though, it works with the type of games made for the system.

To clarify. There's no conflict between disc and side action buttons.  You can use them both simultaneously.

The location of the side buttons aren't bad.  You can hold it comfortably with your first two fingers on the top and bottom side buttons.

Edit:

Haven't heard of the disc flattening.  There's just a simple spring underneath that could be adjusted.  If you abuse it you could wear out the flex circuit.  Otherwise the controllers are fairly durable.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Just now, mr_me said:

To clarify. There's no conflict between disc and side action buttons.  You can use them both simultaneously.

The location of the side buttons aren't bad.  You can hold it comfortably with your first two fingers on the top and bottom side buttons.

i meant to say when using the keypad to shoot... location and distance apat aren't to good either... lol

• 1 month later...
I gave it a chance. I rode my bike out to get it brand new, for $30 in early 1980s money. It's easily in my top ten of worst gaming purchases ever.

The disc is fine. Vectron is not. 

As someone who bought Vectron as a kid (and devoted a lot of time to figuring it out), and as the unofficial world record holder for the game, I’m one of maybe 10 people who completely disagree with you...

ce1f7ffabf3d7131ca896f417159811b.jpg

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Played Vectron a lot and always really enjoyed it - I'm with @nurmix on that. It's a game that illustrates the best and worst of the controller, IMO:

• When in good condition, the disc provides great fine control, and you need that in Vectron to get the firing angles right
  • Vectron makes use of the bottom left/right buttons as Asteroids in an arcade cabinet would, two buttons forming a "rotate-left / rotate right" mechansim - and that arrangement on the Intellivision controller illustrates that the gaming industry of the day had not put a great deal of consideration into ergonomics of controllers

Be honest: are *any* of the controllers on the original systems comfortable for long gaming sessions? IMO ColecoVision's stock controllers were the worst. Even the one-button joystick or paddle on Atari would give me cramps after a couple of ours bacn in the olden days.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, intvsteve said:

Played Vectron a lot and always really enjoyed it - I'm with @nurmix on that. It's a game that illustrates the best and worst of the controller, IMO:

• When in good condition, the disc provides great fine control, and you need that in Vectron to get the firing angles right
  • Vectron makes use of the bottom left/right buttons as Asteroids in an arcade cabinet would, two buttons forming a "rotate-left / rotate right" mechansim - and that arrangement on the Intellivision controller illustrates that the gaming industry of the day had not put a great deal of consideration into ergonomics of controllers

Be honest: are *any* of the controllers on the original systems comfortable for long gaming sessions? IMO ColecoVision's stock controllers were the worst. Even the one-button joystick or paddle on Atari would give me cramps after a couple of ours bacn in the olden days.

Agreed, @intvsteve... control in Vectron is clunky as hell.. switching back and forth between lower side buttons, hitting the keypad to turn freestyle mode ON/OFF throughout each round (essential to do well in the game).  Sometimes it's tough getting the firing angle just right.  And the game requires split second timing and accuracy.  The enemies are relentless and can wipe you out in seconds.  One minute you're doing great, the next you've just lost 3 guys and you're done (I'm looking at YOU, yellow nasties!).

You're on your toes the entire time (except during the color display after completing a round).  I totally get why people don't like it.  But as you learn it and get comfortable with the game, and it starts to 'click', it is quite satisfying.  It can also be extremely frustrating when things don't go well - even for someone like me or Steve who are good at the game.

I know most of you have already heard the Vectron episode of the podcast, but for those who haven't, have a listen:
http://intellivisionaries.com/episode-31-vectron/

Edited by nurmix

5 hours ago, intvsteve said:

Vectron controls would be fine if the top side buttons were used for left and both bottom buttons for right.  Mattel marketed the controller as having four side buttons, two for left handed players and two for right handed players.  Lots of intellivision cartridges have the third action button on the keypad in order to mirror the side buttons.  e.g. armour battle, sea battle, space hawk, atlantis, hover force, defender, tron solar sailer.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2