IGNORED

New Game Released - Moonbase Alpha 2019 - by David J. Smith

ti99iuc

Months ago i published in my website's database, lot of Intrigue Software games.
Lately wrote me the original developer of Beneath the stars David J. Smith and after kindly words he wrote:
"Once I saw Beneath the Stars on your web site, I downloaded it and checked out the emulators - in particular the Classic99. Reading the code brought back memories for sure, as I had never fully seen the source code in printed form. I did not have a printer back in 1984 - too expensive (as were all the TI-99 peripherals, disk drive, ROM cartridges etc..) and I was only able to "LIST" the code on my 14" portable TV screen back in 1984. To be able to review the code in "notepad" was amazing. After playing the game the first time in 34 years, I immediately saw what needed to be improved and bugs fixed. Your web site was most definitely an inspiration! :)

Now i have completely updated Beneath the stars making the game much, much faster, easier to play and enhanced in many ways! The name is "Moonbase Alpha 2019) and can run in TI-BASIC but i also compiled in TI EXTENDED BASIC using ISABELLA.

If you are old enough (like me ?), then you will recall Gerry and Sylvia Andersons Space 1999 in the 1970's, where the moon broke away from the Earth's Gravity and Drifted off into space. Moonbase Alpha was the name of the Base Station and the Inspiration for the original title of the game.

If you would like to know more or publish "Moonbase Alpha 2019" on your website, please contact me."

Well, I think you can all imagine how happy this message made me. 
Of course, now the game is online and downloadable.
Is also present a Cartridge version for FlashGrom99/FlasRom99 or burn a real cart.
(an official label is included in the .zip file of the cart version).

so, hope you will Enjoy the game! 

mbasealpha_logo.thumb.jpg.cff57fd733a9dc9b6254ff4082d30699.jpg

Moonbase Alpha 2019 page + download

(scroll down the page to find all files to Downloads)

254288618_LabelMockUPonCartridge.thumb.jpg.601a260d8fbd27ebb8cea7f5b0d0bd6c.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

I used to stay up late every Friday night to watch Space 1999 and the first series to include Moonbase Alpha: UFO. In the first series it was one of several defensive points to protect Earth from some hostile aliens--and then it got blasted off into space along with the moon at the start of Space 1999. It was definitely an interesting science fiction series (or two).

• Like 3

I am still a big fan of Space:1999, particularly of the first season, after which they tried to become more "colorful". Although the script may have had its weaknesses, carefully saying, it was a pleasure for me to see its details, the Eagle starting sequence being one of the best of its time. While Star Trek with its Warp speed and Beaming was somewhat harder to believe, Space:1999 had a stronger notion of "hard sci-fi". The atmosphere was really spooky at times (remember the Blue Light, when the guy walked along the passage and the lights dimmed away behind him?). Unfortunately, the most disturbing episodes were not shown of German TV (Alpha child, Dragon's domain); I watched them back in those days on a modded TV of my dad on AFN, but only in B/W. 

Also, the series was aired in Germany on Sunday evenings at 19:00. This was too early for some violent scenes, so they were just cut. The episodes were about 50 min long, which did not fit well into a 45 min or 60 min slot; accordingly, at least 5 min were left out in every episode. If they did not fnd enough scenes of (mild) violence, they cut away some more "scientific" parts: Prof. Bergman explained how the force field was supposed to protect the base from being squashed in the Black Sun transition (we would now call it a wormhole), namely by the compression of the field lines, which is quite ok in fact. However, nothing of that was shown, which made everything a bit silly or vague and took away one of the unique points of the film.

Interestingly, the commander's name "Koenig" strongly reminds of the German "König" (remember that every umlaut can be replaced by the unmarked vowel plus an e in German). I never got that association directly since they pronounced it "konig" in the German dub, which is in fact so far away from the "König" that an average German ear does not immediately get the match. People who can speak German will agree.

Luckily, all missing episodes and scenes were added to the DVD box, and they of course added new dubbing for these parts, which sounds a bit weird when the voice suddenly changes. 

Speaking about all that, I really have to get that box from my shelf again.

What I am actually eagerly searching now is a plastic model of the Eagle transporter. When I was young, I glued together several of them, and they soon lost their feet because of the crash landings... I once found a seller of cast iron models, but either he changed his mind, or the offer was already over when I asked.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mizapf said:

Interestingly, the commander's name "Koenig" strongly reminds of the German "König" (remember that every umlaut can be replaced by the unmarked vowel plus an e in German). I never got that association directly since they pronounced it "konig" in the German dub, which is in fact so far away from the "König" that an average German ear does not immediately get the match. People who can speak German will agree.

Interesting to hear how they messed up the name in the German dub.

In the US we have at least six ways to pronounce Koenig. After Alexander Pope:

Keenig, Koenig, Kaynig, or Kearney,

Whatever it is, we'll never learny.

In Austin Texas, I drive every day on Koenig Avenue. However, we pronounce it "2222".

• Haha 2