IGNORED

When does a collection become a collection?

Keatah

As it says on the box, when does a collection become a collection? Or a hoard? At what point is one of those titles applied to your stash-o-stuff?

It's like that burgeoning present-day 20x20x10 room full of Apple II stuff. I'm still dragging around with me. At what point did it go from a basic rig with 2 drives, monitor, and some expansion cards to a collection? And at what point did it go from being a collection to a hoard? And why would it be called a collection anyways as opposed to a burden of excess(now)?

I would assume '3 or more' at a minimum to be a collection. (Otherwise you either have 'one' or 'a pair'.) A quick poke 'round the net says there is no consensus as to when it officially becomes a collection, although the majority agree there seems to be a need for a form of curation. Basically, you need to be buying with intent for the item's use, AND how it relates to the other items you already own. One antique dealer suggested you grouping of items should tell a 'story' as you guide someone through it. Just as a random example- if someone collects Atari, you would assume their games would touch on important milestones in the Atari 'story'- you'd need a copy of E.T., you'd need Pitfall, etc. If you own more than one 2600, they should be different models.

As for having a 'horde', I see two definitions there- either an uncurated collection (say, someone who buys everything Atari they find regardless of condition, provenance, or if they already own it), or a derogatory term for a collection from someone who doesn't appreciate the items therein.

• Like 2

I'd say the definition of a "collection", where it pertains to "collecting", is defined as a finite list of items. If you own all the items in this finite list, then you can say that this "collection" is complete. Of course, the number of items in the finite list can change, which means the collection goes from "complete" to "incomplete" until you acquire the missing item(s).

The contents of the list of items that defines a collection can be debatable if it's vague. For example, if I say "I have a complete collection of all Activision games on Atari 2600", another person may say "Does that include the rare Activision prototypes?". If the answer to that question is no, then I have to either update my definition of my collection as "a complete collection of all commercially-released Activision games on Atari 2600" and then rest on my laurels, or I can try to acquire those rare prototypes just for bragging rights, which implies that my "collection" is incomplete until I acquire the missing prototypes.

The bottom line is that, like beauty, a collection is in the eye of the beholder. As soon as you define the parameters of what constitutes a collection, then that collection comes into existence, whether it's currently complete or incomplete for the person/people involved.

Hoarding, as a concept, is linked to the perceived value given to the items inside a given collection. If you're the only one who sees your collection as having a great value, and everyone else tends to disagree with your assessment, then you can be labelled as a hoarder. But in this case, we're not talking about monetary value, but rather an arbitrary psychological value that someone gives to items, and if this value is very high, then the person will be incapable of parting with his items, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Hoarding over monetary value is a very different thing: You're not hoarding stuff because you care about it, but rather because of the money you expect to gain from selling it later, if you keep it in storage long enough. That's a totally different ball of wax.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HoshiChiri said:

I would assume '3 or more' at a minimum to be a collection. (Otherwise you either have 'one' or 'a pair'.) A quick poke 'round the net says there is no consensus as to when it officially becomes a collection, although the majority agree there seems to be a need for a form of curation. Basically, you need to be buying with intent for the item's use, AND how it relates to the other items you already own. One antique dealer suggested you grouping of items should tell a 'story' as you guide someone through it. Just as a random example- if someone collects Atari, you would assume their games would touch on important milestones in the Atari 'story'- you'd need a copy of E.T., you'd need Pitfall, etc. If you own more than one 2600, they should be different models.

As for having a 'horde', I see two definitions there- either an uncurated collection (say, someone who buys everything Atari they find regardless of condition, provenance, or if they already own it), or a derogatory term for a collection from someone who doesn't appreciate the items therein.

I couldn't agree with you more. Hoarding to me is slightly different however. For instance. I already own every model Atari 2600 from the Sears brand to the heavy sixer, light sixer, 4- switch, etc. but if I am out and about and I see a nice Atari in really good condition for a great price I will buy it. My thought process behind this the fact that I don't need another one, but down the road I could possibly use this one as a trade for something else I need, sell it, or replace it with one I have that is in less stellar condition. I also collect parts  because I repair Ataris too. So "hording" to me is the inability to let go of anything you collect.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HoshiChiri said:

the majority agree there seems to be a need for a form of curation [...] If you own more than one 2600, they should be different models.

I agree. A "collection" is going to have some theme or structure. So, an art collector may focus on painters from a particular region or time period, or just paintings of flowers. Gamers may focus on one system or genre. I would expect that a collection is organized in some fashion (even if it is not necessarily displayed somewhere). There is a clear system in place, and new acquisitions can be readily integrated into the collection.

A "horde", in contrast, is just an unorganized mass. The hoarder has no idea what his/her/its horde includes, there is no theme, and no plan to integrate new acquisitions -- just tossing them on top of the mound does not count. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jettgogaming said:

I couldn't agree with you more. Hoarding to me is slightly different however. For instance. I already own every model Atari 2600 from the Sears brand to the heavy sixer, light sixer, 4- switch, etc. but if I am out and about and I see a nice Atari in really good condition for a great price I will buy it. My thought process behind this the fact that I don't need another one, but down the road I could possibly use this one as a trade for something else I need, sell it, or replace it with one I have that is in less stellar condition. I also collect parts  because I repair Ataris too. So "hording" to me is the inability to let go of anything you collect.

The Atari bit was just an example- one could also collect specifically 3rd party Atari carts, or only prototypes, or whatever floats your boat. Similarly having multiple of the same system for a reason (like parts, or convention tourneys, or trading) is fine. The problem arises when things are being bought without consideration of any kind.

I do agree an inability to let go is a big concern for flipping to hoarding.

• Like 1

In my mind I have a short curated and thoughtful (!) list of important Apple II material. Highly manageable, aesthetically pleasing, always a conversation starter.. The rest feels like a sea of garbage that sways a-too and fro, rising and falling throughout the years as I throw ebay purchases into the pile and 6 months later excavate something of interest from 5ft under. A miniature non-decaying landfill right here in the house!

Edited by Keatah