IGNORED

1010 Belt Replacement

spookt

Hi Folks

Finally snagged a 1010 recorder which didn't cost the earth. As I expected the belts are pretty much gone. What remains is a rather nasty black sticky mess on the circuit board and around the drive gear. The unit is a Hong Kong model and I *think* judging by the drive gears needs the flat belt. I wonder if someone could just take a look a these pics and confirm it is indeed the flat belt variant? I've found a seller in the UK which appears to have stock of the belts, just want to grab the right ones. Also - is the tape counter belt a universal fit on Hong Kong models? And finally, any suggestions of what to use to remove the goop that was the original belt from the board and the drive gear (and my fingers ?)?

Z03uhElMSWqYuvRiHbHAqg.thumb.jpg.097e8527e2157d6ffcf4d78ac582a246.jpgrwQU9QxqQs6YLciAN5z0qA.thumb.jpg.6648d36a4dfdeb123b0b21dd36e2a957.jpgR9EzSuu6TXSG70re5VnLig.thumb.jpg.7513b19af26c07bf793b5a4eac66f037.jpg23800916_ABPcqhMTX2mWcmgiLm2Dg.thumb.jpg.fbe85c9ebe8ce43b4fe62510757624ca.jpg

19 hours ago, xrbrevin said:

Thanks for the heads up. Turns out the site I’d found on the web was that guy’s website. I’ve ordered a flat belt and a counter belt so hopefully it’ll be back up and running soon.

Replacement belts arrived yesterday and so after some messy time with cotton buds and IPA removing the sludge that was the old belts from the board and the drive gear, and a bath for the grubby case, this 1010 lives again. Just loaded up a couple of cassettes for nostalgia's sake - can't honestly say I'll be using it often but I love the XL styling and had a 1010 back in the day, so happy to have it in the collection. I can happily recommend Dataserve Retro as a UK source for belts. As xrbrevin pointed out above, they also sell via eBay.

64V8duoJSrWO4OPzqiSeIg.jpg

xb+XrmbVRAGxuGCjIe1epA.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, adam242 said:

A 600XL and 1010 tape drive.. my system 'back in the day'.. love it!

Thanks! That 600XL is actually mine from back in the day. My first Atari computer, received as a Christmas present along with a 1010, CX40 joystick and pole position cart. After the ZX81 I’d previously owned it blew me away! 

Edited by spookt

• 3 years later...

Does anyone have belt dimensions? I have HK version with flat belt. The top one is flat. The bottom small belt is square. I have measured the bottom one. It has FI around 65/66m - but it is to big right now for sure. 

The top one (big one) - I found information that I should buy 82mm / 3mm - can anyone confirm this?