IGNORED

Games That Are Hard To You But Easy To Others

I really like lots of video games, and have for many years, but I'm kind of amazed at the number of people who waste so much of their life "accomplishing" completion of a video game.

I enjoy SMB for an hour or two once in a while, but I've never even come close to finishing it. The tedium of practicing over and over those little jumps just seems so pointless to me...there are so many other rewarding activities in life.

• Like 1

I'll go large on this one.

I can't handle Tactical RPG/Strategy RPG style games almost universally, and can even struggle when using a guide.  So when it comes to things like Ogre Battle, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Nectaris, FF Tactics, and the rest they're gaming dumpster fires for me.  Like 99% of those types I can't play let alone enjoy.  I do currently still have Ogre Battle (SNES) and FE(phone game), and Nectaris(pce win9x port) but that's really about it.  I like them so much/enough I keep them around even if I can't get deep into the things.

I can not wrap my mind around the total lack of logic involved with those games coupled with the nasty roll of the dice style odds at play when unit vs unit on whatever terrains happen.  I can't stand not having direct control then losing because the computer just rolls a (fuck it, let's screw the player) stunt which seems all too often doing bonehead moves I'd never do if I had a menu/control (like a normal RPG/ARPG style game.)

One that immediately comes to mind for me is arcade Centipede.  I just absolutely SUCK at this game, no matter how many times I play it.  

I'm normally half decent at classic arcade games if I put some effort into them.  But Centipede is just an anomaly for me; can't put anything together on it, ever.  

There are many games I cannot get into because the controls are just too complex for my puny brain, which is "configured" for games of the  NES/Super-NES era.

One recent example that comes to mind is "Metroid - Samus Returns" on 3DS. The controls are manageable while exploring the various areas, but when a boss fight requires that you press just about every button on the 3DS at the same time just to aim missiles properly while jumping and dodging attacks... Gosh, my hands cramp up just thinking about it. And it amazes me that other players don't seem to have any problem with those controls, which cannot be configured, by the way. I stopped playing that game a few hours into it, and I'm in no hurry to pick it up again (although I know I will eventually). Thank you so much Nintendo for yet again ruining a Metroid game for me.  :roll: 

Any modern first person shooter.  I was good at Doom and the like when they first came out, but anything made within the last 20 years or so I just can't do.  I also have trouble with any arcade game that uses two sticks (one for shooting, one for movement), but I can at least play them.  This is ironic because my favorite arcade game is Cloak & Dagger which uses two sticks. :)

arcade Asteroids.. I can NEVER get a handle on it and the UFOs just shoot me up. It's very rare I can hit 10k for an extra ship. Other people seem to be able to score in the millions however :lol:

Moon Cresta is another one from back in the day. I could never keep my first ship intact to dock with the 2nd. Yet it seems everyone else around could easily keep all 3 ships together for the first run through of the waves. 

• Like 2

On 9/27/2019 at 11:21 AM, Pixelboy said:

There are many games I cannot get into because the controls are just too complex for my puny brain, which is "configured" for games of the  NES/Super-NES era.

Yeah, that's why I hate playing SNES games like Super Mario World because of the changed control scheme that wants you to use all four buttons...

I'm used to using B for running & A for jumping since that's how Super Mario Bros. and other Nintendo games were on the NES and Game Boy.  But having to hold Y on the left hand side and press B on the bottom to jump makes it hard for my to get pass the first couple levels.  plus to me pressing A is suppose to be jump but that's now something different.

No problem with Sega games though since their controllers have buttons lined up linearly.

Modern console games do use the same setup but the character is running towards the inside of the screen and I don't need to hold any face button to run fast...

On 9/28/2019 at 12:16 PM, MrMaddog said:

Yeah, that's why I hate playing SNES games like Super Mario World because of the changed control scheme that wants you to use all four buttons...

I'm used to using B for running & A for jumping since that's how Super Mario Bros. and other Nintendo games were on the NES and Game Boy.  But having to hold Y on the left hand side and press B on the bottom to jump makes it hard for my to get pass the first couple levels.  plus to me pressing A is suppose to be jump but that's now something different.

No problem with Sega games though since their controllers have buttons lined up linearly.

Modern console games do use the same setup but the character is running towards the inside of the screen and I don't need to hold any face button to run fast...

Sega is two sets of 3 in a row, the SNES is just 2 sets of 2, not sure how that's any worse?  I get what you're saying but if you're using your thumb, all you really have to do is keep the tip over Y and bulk of it over B all you have to do is drop you thumb straight and it naturally hits both at the same time.  Don't get me wrong i get hating on the stuff, because Metroid on 3DS was excessive on boss fights, just as it gets asinine when they force a wiimote waggle to spin or a touch this WiiU/DS panel to do a vital move while removing your hands from the rest as forced gimmicks are garbage.

On 9/27/2019 at 10:21 AM, Pixelboy said:

One recent example that comes to mind is "Metroid - Samus Returns" on 3DS. The controls are manageable while exploring the various areas, but when a boss fight requires that you press just about every button on the 3DS at the same time just to aim missiles properly while jumping and dodging attacks... Gosh, my hands cramp up just thinking about it. And it amazes me that other players don't seem to have any problem with those controls, which cannot be configured, by the way. I stopped playing that game a few hours into it, and I'm in no hurry to pick it up again (although I know I will eventually). Thank you so much Nintendo for yet again ruining a Metroid game for me.  :roll: 

Worse than Spider Guardian boss on the Gamecube version of Metroid Prime 2? I had to master multi-bomb jumping to beat it yet on the Wii version you can just jump when in morphball.

Games that I haven't spent countless hours mastering but they have. OTOH, I've spent countless hours on other games that maybe y'all haven't. 

On 9/26/2019 at 4:09 PM, Magmavision2000 said:

Super Mario Bros took me two years to beat, yet it seems like everyone can beat that game in under an hour.

That's because "everyone" also took their time to get there, but once they could pull it off, the first thing they do nowadays is put it on YouTube.

It took me more than a month to get to a point where I could beat it the first time, and then I could warp through and finish it in around 20 minutes. However, I can't do that any more. Just goes to show you that practice makes perfect, and if you don't use it you lose it. 

OTOH I can still 1CC Streets of Rage 2 on default settings, or on Hard with 5 lives at the start. That stuff is programmed into my brain something fierce. I've *finished* on Mania, but I had to use the cheat to start with 9 lives and used all my continues. Meanwhile I watched a guy on Twitch recently finish it with NO DEATHS. It was insane. He kept dying in stage 7 with the jetpack guy, but once he could do that reliably finishing the robot bosses happened on the first try and he made it all the way through to the end. 

Most games. I don't think I've ever been anything but "okay" at video games. As my hands and eyes decline, I slowly get less okay. :D

Seriously, if I set out of a mind to really beat something, and devote time to it, I generally can, but it's rare that I have the time (or desire, honestly) to do that. I just wanna have fun, and if that means a few rounds of Tetris 99 with the missus, obsessively reracing a track in Horizon Drive Turbo or getting smashed by Cuphead, I'm there for it. 

I'm particularly bad at stuff like 3D platformers and first person shooters, so I don't play a ton of those. The last first person shooter I played to completion was whenever Far Cry: Blood Dragon came out, which was several years ago, but still a really fun experience. I will probably get whatever that new Build engine game was called when it releases on consoles.... but I won't be very good at it.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I utterly hate games that mix genres. In both Final Fantasy VII and Breath of Fire IV, for example, there are required mini-games that require very specific timing and reflexes to get past to advance the story. I play RPGs because I am not good at games requiring fast reflexes. (I ultimately bought a Game Shark so I could skip that stage in FF7; I just stopped playing BOF4.)

I realise that most everyone else can get through those sequences easily, but, sadly, not me.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2019 at 12:10 PM, Eltigro said:

I usually only fall asleep when I'm grinding for levels... but yeah, there have been several that I've just stopped playing and never went back to.

for sure they're an acquired taste.  i dont mind grindy ones because they're mindless and i feel like i did something while watching tv at the same time ;)