IGNORED

Atari 5200 Power Adapter Repair?

INTVCruise

Hello everyone, I had a working one a little while ago that I literally just tested and it's dead. I used it about 3 times no problems, put it away and never touched it again and now for some reason it just wont work. I used a multimeter on it to see what was up and the voltage output is about 3-5V, if I leave it plugged in, the voltage seems to rise steadily but never enough. I currently have 3 power supplies that all do this, is there anything I can do to fix them, I can solder quite well just need to know what to do. Thank you!

3 hours ago, atari-dna said:

What’s the base look like? If you see two screws then there are two more hidden under rubber feet.

Yeap and most of the time due to the age of the rubber on those feet, they don't just pop off and end up ripping off instead...ugh...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, thanks for everybody's help, got so busy totally forgot about this. I have 3 non working adapters, all of them are the kind with two screws in the middle and the screws underneath the feet. All 3 of them are already opened, can someone please suggest where I can buy replacement parts to fix them, maybe post a link to the part, or a list of parts needed, I would appreciate it greatly! Thank you!

I actually just repaired 3 of my own this weekend. They all had blown or loose fuses. 2 of them I blew out the fuses on over the spring trying to take current measurements. The 3rd had attempted repair done on it in the past apparently because when I opened it up, I found a 250v 10a fuse electrically taped inside that wasn't making contact with the clipped leads from the old fuse that used to be there. Had no idea that had been done to this PSU since I bought it used as working like 20 years ago? Lucky the fuse didn't fall inside and cause some real issues.

I ended up clipping the old ones out and soldering on replacement 250v 5a standard buss fueses to the clipped leads. Good as new and I got back 3 I didn't have before.

Funny the OP has 3 dead also and I did once I started looking into my small stash of spare PSUs.

• 4 years later...