IGNORED

Raiders of the Lost Debugger

decle

Hey Guys,

I thought I might give RetroChallenge a shot this October. Not done it before, should be interesting.

Anyway, I think I'm going to take another look at World Championship Baseball.  This time to see what we can find out about Rick Koenig's Intellivision debugger.  As I find stuff, I'll blog about it here in a suitably RetroChallenge way.  Everything should kick off at the beginning of next week, so if you have time, why not follow along at home?

Cheers

decle

• Like 3

On 10/3/2019 at 6:15 PM, Lathe26 said:

Just caught up on the first 4 posts.  Nice work so far and very interesting.  I've had a interesting in looking at the debugger myself but that project was always too low on my list to get to in time.  I look forward to seeing more stuff.

Cheers,

Things have been moving on apace.  I think we now have a test driver that fires up the debugger and allows you to fiddle with its UI (instructions for the controls can be found towards the bottom of the latest blog post)

rkDebugTest2.thumb.png.ac72a00f9153bff529f3385e5a85702e.png

Rick seems to have done a cracking job in such a short period of time; I believe during an interview with the Intellvisionaries (episode 26) he suggested he wrote the debugger in 2-3 weeks between working on Motocross and Masters of the Universe.  The debugger has some cool features that aren't seen in the other Intellivision tools of the period (e.g. disassembling the current opcode) and one that isn't seen in JzIntv (trace to non-EXEC code).

There is still quite a bit of work to do understanding how the debugger is put together.  You can follow my progress here.

Edited by decle
  • Like 4

Very cool stuff, Decle!  I’m going to send the links of this thread and your blog to Rick Koenig.  Perhaps he’ll chime in with some recollections of his own - unless of course you’d prefer he didn’t as this is, afterall, supposed to be a retro challenge.

;-)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nurmix said:

Very cool stuff, Decle!  I’m going to send the links of this thread and your blog to Rick Koenig.  Perhaps he’ll chime in with some recollections of his own - unless of course you’d prefer he didn’t as this is, afterall, supposed to be a retro challenge.

;-)

you still do Intellivision stuff? ?

• Haha 1

On 10/9/2019 at 3:34 PM, nurmix said:

Episode 37 is in the editing stage now.  It will be out before PRGE, good sir!

Great, now I have to listen to cmart  in the rover, can I pay you to NOT finish? ?

22 hours ago, cmart604 said:

It had better be. I have a 5-6 hour drive ahead of me. ?

What? Are you going to drive well under the speed limit just so you can hear yourself longer? I think I'd rather listen to British Siri prattle on about motorways and roundabouts...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tarzilla said:

Great, now I have to listen to cmart  in the rover, can I pay you to NOT finish? ?

What? Are you going to drive well under the speed limit just so you can hear yourself longer? I think I'd rather listen to British Siri prattle on about motorways and roundabouts...

Lol! You know you love it. 

14 hours ago, Tarzilla said:

I can't be bribed to not finish it (well, I can.. but it would require a working Keyboard Component as payment).

Thanks for the British Siri suggestion.  I'll talk to her.

;-)

26 minutes ago, nurmix said:

I can't be bribed to not finish it (well, I can.. but it would require a working Keyboard Component as payment).

Thanks for the British Siri suggestion.  I'll talk to her.

;-)

Lol. He really likes the sound of her voice. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am still reading your WCB investigation blog with great interest.

Oddly, I noticed that the background image for Anatomy of a Crash Pt 2 changed from a Vitruvian Woman to the original Vitruvian Man (2nd one).  Did someone complain about the original image or was there another reason?