IGNORED

Atari 7800 SD Multi-cart announced by RetroHQ

Tidus79001

6 minutes ago, TwoShedsWilson said:

I'm not sure how to insert the twitter post, but basically he posted today that it is too much to do by himself and he's put it on hold to "re-think" his approach.

I'm curious as to why the 7800 is so hard to develop a flash cart for.  Is it the 2600 portion that makes it so hard?  Not being a hardware person at all, I'm curious.

3 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I'm curious as to why the 7800 is so hard to develop a flash cart for.  Is it the 2600 portion that makes it so hard?  Not being a hardware person at all, I'm curious.

From my very limited understanding, it has a lot to do with the cartridge bus, chip timing and voltage regulation.

5 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I wouldn't say it's any more difficult than its contemporaries, particularly the NES - but it's certainly less popular, which means less products.

He didn't say he was giving up, just pulling back to find ways to make it easier on himself. I think it was the combination of designing the cart and trying to sell it himself that overwhelmed him. He was also working on a Jaguar cart that is now on hold and all pre-orders cancelled.

6 minutes ago, TwoShedsWilson said:

He didn't say he was giving up, just pulling back to find ways to make it easier on himself. I think it was the combination of designing the cart and trying to sell it himself that overwhelmed him. He was also working on a Jaguar cart that is now on hold and all pre-orders cancelled.

Wow! The Jag cart had all it's pre-orders canceled too? I hope something else isn't troubling him outside of electronics causing this.

26 minutes ago, TwoShedsWilson said:

I'm not sure how to insert the twitter post, but basically he posted today that it is too much to do by himself and he's put it on hold to "re-think" his approach.

His post was not in reference to the 7800 SD cart specifically, but in trying to create and sell these devices as a side project/business. He's putting sales on hold until he can re-think how to handle the onslaught of customer requests.

From the Jag thread:

4 hours ago, SainT said:

I'd just like to clarify this is NOT the end of anything I've done, it's just time to regroup and reconsider how to actually handle this. I'm basically trying to juggle design, development, sales, support, manufacture, packaging, shipping, and much more besides. It's just not possible by myself, and regardless of what people seem to think, it's not some amazing money making scheme. Relatively I get FAR more money from the little contracting work I also do, and that is FAR less work and stress.

The bit I am good at is design and development of new devices. I want to be able to concentrate my time in that area and not physically making and shipping. I will sort something out, but I need a break... !

So everything is groovy, he just doesn't have the time to build all the hardware on his own and got seriously overwhelmed with the demand.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, swapd0 said:

I would like to know witch features will have.

Before SainT deleted his tweets, he had posted pics of the prototype boards. He said the cart would implement POKEY in an FPGA, have SRAM for game code and cart menu, flash cards to hold all the games. 

• Like 1

Having just purchased a harmony encore, I can say I'm really enjoying the ability to play my entire library as well as the ability to try demos on real hardware via one simple cart. The idea of doing the same on the 7800 is very exciting and i hope and encourage the creator of this to continue. You will have a big fan base and customers here if you succeed 

• Like 4

On 1/19/2020 at 8:48 AM, AtariLeaf said:

Having just purchased a harmony encore, I can say I'm really enjoying the ability to play my entire library as well as the ability to try demos on real hardware via one simple cart. The idea of doing the same on the 7800 is very exciting and i hope and encourage the creator of this to continue. You will have a big fan base and customers here if you succeed 

Yep.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...