IGNORED

Atari 7800 SD Multi-cart announced by RetroHQ

Tidus79001

7 minutes ago, Inky said:

Is my eyesight bad, or has every mention of this been scrubbed from his Twitter feed?

Hmm. You're right. I just looked earlier this week, and I swear he had recently posted a picture of an unpopulated proto board inserted into a 7800. Now I don't see anything other that a post of him asking about buying a PAL 7800 or something. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

maybe he populated a board with the respective chips and then tried it on a real 7800 and realized how majorly F-ed the 7800 is to design for?

I would not be surprised. If it was straightforward and easy, those XM prototype from years ago would be production boards in everyone’s machines by now, and Fred’s Concerto would be in all our collections now too. ? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I would not be surprised. If it was straightforward and easy, those XM prototype from years ago would be production boards in everyone’s machines by now, and Fred’s Concerto would be in all our collections now too. ? 

Let's be honest here there is a hell of a lot more to the XM not being out than that. 

30 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Hehe, my device won't have those issues, maybe I'll finish it.  I need to get rid of $5K of inventory.

While I'm privy to more than most in this regard and know how well your device is working compared

to other peoples attempts at the same, I can also safely say that the $5k worth of parts you are referring

too includes next to nothing that would end up in that device. 

32 minutes ago, Shawn said:

While I'm privy to more than most in this regard and know how well your device is working compared

to other peoples attempts at the same, I can also safely say that the $5k worth of parts you are referring

too includes next to nothing that would end up in that device. 

100 pokeys would be $1000 or so. Or will this be BYOP or some kind of pseudo-POKEY?

12 minutes ago, Swami said:

100 pokeys would be $1000 or so. Or will this be BYOP or some kind of pseudo-POKEY?

I didn't put my pile of POKEY's into account (I have several tubes of them), not even the circuit boards, I did something stupid and invested in a large amount of 512K NVRAM chips, because I thought the MCP devkit would be more of a success.  Win some, lose some, if it doesn't work out, I'll use them for something else.  I don't make this shit, to make money, but I also don't like losing money in the process, that's all. :)

Look up what they cost, they are DALLAS DS512Y-120, I have about 120+ of them.

Hopefully Saint will come through with his design. ?

9 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Yes, the POKEY is on the cart and is even backwards compatible with earlier MCP boards, if a couple of firmware upgrades are applied. :)

Color me corrected. I didn't recall seeing the POKEY on the box board. I forgot that it's in the cart not the box. Or maybe it's in the box now too and I'm just forgetting that as well.

1 hour ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Nah. He followed up his tweets by explaining that it had to do with branding, and not using the SD brand name in his product promotion. It's all good, still being worked on.

Thank you for that update information. Great news to hear.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Nah. He followed up his tweets by explaining that it had to do with branding, and not using the SD brand name in his product promotion. It's all good, still being worked on.

Huh? So you are saying he sent a tweet (or some other form of communication) that said he deleted the 7800 flash cart tweets due to rebranding SD to GD and that he is still working on it?

Can you provide proof of this claim? Because that would seem incredibly odd. Then by that logic is he going back and deleting all JagSD and LynxSD tweets as well in favor of new GD tweets?

Edited by nick3092

1 hour ago, nick3092 said:

Huh? So you are saying he sent a tweet (or some other form of communication) that said he deleted the 7800 flash cart tweets due to rebranding SD to GD and that he is still working on it?

Can you provide proof of this claim? Because that would seem incredibly odd. Then by that logic is he going back and deleting all JagSD and LynxSD tweets as well in favor of new GD tweets?

I'm thinking he either got a C&D letter from somewhere, or a warning email about appropriating the brand.

Also - that Twitter handle, LOL:

Hmm. Oh, I see now. Someone asked him about it in the comment section of a month old tweet about him rebranding. And sounds like he is just being overly cautious.

Clearly I'm not fluent in twitter enough to find such things on my own. I wouldn't have thought to look under an old tweet for something like that. But glad to hear he didn't abandon it.

20 hours ago, Shawn said:

Color me corrected. I didn't recall seeing the POKEY on the box board. I forgot that it's in the cart not the box. Or maybe it's in the box now too and I'm just forgetting that as well.

No, it is still on the cart and the whole idea was to be able to use older MCP devcarts and interface boards (they just lose the USB connector and a new cable plugs into a magic box, which is powered by a couple of processors, all the hardware design is solid, but programming is a slowdown for me).  I have to program on PS4 and XB1 all day and multiple health issues have prevented me from working on the code for months. 

Oh, Atari, if you are listening, I am on my second prototype and have code running on 4 different kind of processors, I even created a custom I2C chip. :P

Now back to Saint, I am done derailing this thread. :)

• Like 3