Jump to content
Tidus79001

Atari 7800 SD Multi-cart announced by RetroHQ

Recommended Posts

I'm not sure how to insert the twitter post, but basically he posted today that it is too much to do by himself and he's put it on hold to "re-think" his approach.

Edited by TwoShedsWilson
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TwoShedsWilson said:

I'm not sure how to insert the twitter post, but basically he posted today that it is too much to do by himself and he's put it on hold to "re-think" his approach.

 

That's a real shame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TwoShedsWilson said:

I'm not sure how to insert the twitter post, but basically he posted today that it is too much to do by himself and he's put it on hold to "re-think" his approach.

I'm curious as to why the 7800 is so hard to develop a flash cart for.  Is it the 2600 portion that makes it so hard?  Not being a hardware person at all, I'm curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I'm curious as to why the 7800 is so hard to develop a flash cart for.  Is it the 2600 portion that makes it so hard?  Not being a hardware person at all, I'm curious.

 

From my very limited understanding, it has a lot to do with the cartridge bus, chip timing and voltage regulation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I'm curious as to why the 7800 is so hard to develop a flash cart for.  Is it the 2600 portion that makes it so hard?  Not being a hardware person at all, I'm curious.

I wouldn't say it's any more difficult than its contemporaries, particularly the NES - but it's certainly less popular, which means less products.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He didn't say he was giving up, just pulling back to find ways to make it easier on himself. I think it was the combination of designing the cart and trying to sell it himself that overwhelmed him. He was also working on a Jaguar cart that is now on hold and all pre-orders cancelled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TwoShedsWilson said:

He didn't say he was giving up, just pulling back to find ways to make it easier on himself. I think it was the combination of designing the cart and trying to sell it himself that overwhelmed him. He was also working on a Jaguar cart that is now on hold and all pre-orders cancelled.

 

Wow! The Jag cart had all it's pre-orders canceled too? I hope something else isn't troubling him outside of electronics causing this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TwoShedsWilson said:

I'm not sure how to insert the twitter post, but basically he posted today that it is too much to do by himself and he's put it on hold to "re-think" his approach.

His post was not in reference to the 7800 SD cart specifically, but in trying to create and sell these devices as a side project/business. He's putting sales on hold until he can re-think how to handle the onslaught of customer requests.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah ok, he just got overwhelmed by too much stuff going on at the same time.  I can sympathize. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the Jag thread:

 

4 hours ago, SainT said:

I'd just like to clarify this is NOT the end of anything I've done, it's just time to regroup and reconsider how to actually handle this. I'm basically trying to juggle design, development, sales, support, manufacture, packaging, shipping, and much more besides. It's just not possible by myself, and regardless of what people seem to think, it's not some amazing money making scheme. Relatively I get FAR more money from the little contracting work I also do, and that is FAR less work and stress.

 

The bit I am good at is design and development of new devices. I want to be able to concentrate my time in that area and not physically making and shipping. I will sort something out, but I need a break... !

 

So everything is groovy, he just doesn't have the time to build all the hardware on his own and got seriously overwhelmed with the demand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like he's gotten offers from competent help to aid in production, packaging, etc. Hopefully between them and SainT, things will get sorted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, swapd0 said:

I would like to know witch features will have.

Before SainT deleted his tweets, he had posted pics of the prototype boards. He said the cart would implement POKEY in an FPGA, have SRAM for game code and cart menu, flash cards to hold all the games. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gambler172 said:

Well...i heard rumours.....why he stops activities 😢

 

It's all good friend. He's working past that bullshit from what I've read and been told.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having just purchased a harmony encore, I can say I'm really enjoying the ability to play my entire library as well as the ability to try demos on real hardware via one simple cart. The idea of doing the same on the 7800 is very exciting and i hope and encourage the creator of this to continue. You will have a big fan base and customers here if you succeed 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2020 at 8:48 AM, AtariLeaf said:

Having just purchased a harmony encore, I can say I'm really enjoying the ability to play my entire library as well as the ability to try demos on real hardware via one simple cart. The idea of doing the same on the 7800 is very exciting and i hope and encourage the creator of this to continue. You will have a big fan base and customers here if you succeed 

 

Yep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it safe to say this project is dead? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rey said:

Is it safe to say this project is dead? 

Absolutely not.  Several have asked him, once the Jag and Lynx carts get back to market, he'll be working on this again.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 11:53 AM, Greg2600 said:

Absolutely not.  Several have asked him, once the Jag and Lynx carts get back to market, he'll be working on this again.

Great to hear!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...