IGNORED

TIX development (on hold)

Asmusr

4 hours ago, Asmusr said:

Hey, I'm struggling for CPU cycles here. Spending them on showing progress is the last thing I want to do. ;)

But you don't have to do anything else during the fill... objection overruled! ;)

I get it, do what works for you. It's already way beyond what I thought would work! 

• Like 1

I think I found a solution to the issue of ending up with surrounded (or is 'enclosed' the right word?) areas that are not filled: I check the squares in front of the player to the left and right, and prevent moving forward if any of them is not black. This means you can still surround two areas that are only connected diagonally, so I had to expand the flood fill to deal with that.

I have just started looking at the sound, so the noise you hear is only temporary.

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I found a bug where if you create a single block then go back out, sometimes creating an strange fill:

tix.png.525118d406f887b30e6fc166b61e341f.png

(Bug reports are far from inspiring, I know from experience.)

I also experienced a situation where the line of blocks connected to another edge, yet the tix still hit my line before it filled and blew me up.  It would feel more fair if drawing the final connecting block triggered the fill.

Other than that fun to play, and a neat proof of concept.

• Like 5

On 11/23/2019 at 11:52 PM, PeteE said:

I found a bug where if you create a single block then go back out, sometimes creating an strange fill:

tix.png.525118d406f887b30e6fc166b61e341f.png

(Bug reports are far from inspiring, I know from experience.)

I also experienced a situation where the line of blocks connected to another edge, yet the tix still hit my line before it filled and blew me up.  It would feel more fair if drawing the final connecting block triggered the fill.

Other than that fun to play, and a neat proof of concept.

I think this should fix the issue with the strange fill. Also fixed an issue with the fuze. But most likely I have created other issues. :-)

tix.dsk tix8.bin

• Like 7

Hi Rasmus,

many thanks for this new game (and, of course, also for all the previous great games) for our TI99! I've tested this beta on the MiSTer TI99 core and it's working great.

Finally, also our TI has a Qix clone! ?

Now, some feedbacks on your interpretation of Qix. The use of blocks and the scrolling is surely original. At first, I was a little perplexed by this choice. I'm not sure if it was dictated by the limitation of the TI99 (in particular the 2 colors on the 8 pixels) or it was a specific choice. Anyway, the use of blocks has reduced the fill time for the areas with a general improvement of the rhythm of the game! Also the visual effect is great.

The scrolling is surely an original idea, however I think it's more a natural consequence of the limited space available by using the 8x8 blocks, so that a greater area is required for the gameplay. Unfortunately, it introduces also a defect on the gameplay.

Let's explain with an example. You are at the bottom of the screen and you start the creation of a line to go the top of the screen. When you pass the middle of the screen the scrolling begins. If the enemy is moving on the opposite side you cannot see it anymore at one time and you are not able to evaluate when it's better to close the line and fill the area. It becomes a random, not a specific, gameplay choice. So, you are forced to concentrate first on one portion of the sceen and then to the other and the great idea of the scrolling is partially thwarted. ?

Maybe the use of 4x4 blocks and a reduced area to scroll could have mitigated/balanced this. Now, probably, the development is too much in an advanced phase to introduce such changes. My suggestion, in alternative, is to add at least something to compensate, eg. some objects to grab to temporary freeze/slow down the enemy and/or some object to increase our speed, etc.
One of the fun parts in Qix is to try the risk of filling big areas and the scrolling you added in the game is a clear invite to use such approach, but it's necessary to know where the enemy is... ?

In any case, is a good game and I'm waiting for the final version! ?

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I have run out of steam on this game, so I'm not going to finish it, but I made some changes about a month ago that I'm posting here.

Starting from level 3 some of the levels have two TIXes. If you do a fill with one TIX of each side you will split the TIX and all further scores will be doubled. If you split the TIX two times all scores are tripled, and so on. 

tix.dsk tix8.bin

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rasmus! This game is so cooool !  ?

The game works fine! But, when I launched the game tix8 on the TIny-99/4v2 with the FinalGROM99, I had a continuous tone (beeeeeeep) until the noise sound been played on the intro. I thought about a compatibility problem with my computer but I have the same thing on the original 99/4A. The good thing is that the TIny-99/4v2 react as the original but I wonder is this continuous tone is a choice or a bug?

1 hour ago, fabrice montupet said:

Thank you Rasmus! This game is so cooool !  ?

The game works fine! But, when I launched the game tix8 on the TIny-99/4v2 with the FinalGROM99, I had a continuous tone (beeeeeeep) until the noise sound been played on the intro. I thought about a compatibility problem with my computer but I have the same thing on the original 99/4A. The good thing is that the TIny-99/4v2 react as the original but I wonder is this continuous tone is a choice or a bug?

That's a bug.

Great game Rasmus.    I've been playing a little bit and have three observations so far.

1. I think this has been mentioned before, but sometimes I can draw a box and the inside doesn't fill blue or orange.   stays black perhaps because I didn't go far enough to close it?    even though the screen appears to be a closed box.  also when this happens, the player can go inside the box and die.

2. frequently when finishing a screen with (as far as i can tell) there is only one TIX on the screen, it awards me with "split tix" and increments the score multiplier.   

3. after doing this several times, the multiplier will grow to 7, 8, 9, and then shows other characters as the multiplier (not 10, 11, 12, etc.)

i really like the feel of the game.   thank you.