IGNORED

7800basic and png images

mksmith

27 minutes ago, Mord said:

The process to create the tiled maps are the same however you have to remember the width of a 160B sprite is half the width of a 160A sprite. If your tiled map is still assuming 8 pixel wide tiles from the 160A sample, then it's going to cause 7800Basic to do exactly what you saw happen.  You'll have to adjust the tile sizes on your map in Tiled to width of 4 from 8 before exporting it.

That makes my map 40 columns wide, but 32 is the highest to choose when plotting, so would making two maps and plotting them next to eachother be a good choice?

The plotmap command has optional parameters '[map_x_off map_y_off map_width]' to make it easy to draw specific parts within a larger tilemap so you can have the one map and then draw it in 2 halves (or as many as it takes to get what you want) without too much difficulty.

Here's an example from my code. The first draws the left half, and the second draws the right. I'm using doublewide so the width of my screen is 20 tiles rather than 40, and similarly each half is 10 tiles rather than 20.

plotmap wallsTileMap 7 0 4 10 10 0 0 20
plotmap wallsTileMap 7 80 4 10 10 10 0 20

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Easiest way to remember it would be that 160B is an extra format usable with 160A.  The technical reason essentially is a bit in the Display List entries that 7800Basic is creating for you when it plots something. Setting/unsetting that bit would essentially determine if that sprite is displayed as 160A or 160B.  7800Basic handles all that for you based on whether you incgraphic an image as 160A or 160B. Displaymode is only used to set the "base" mode for lack of a better term.  IE: 160A, 320A, or 320C.

The same thing happens with the 320 modes.  You would select 320A mode with displaymode, but you'd also be able to use 320C sprites at the same time. Or 320B mode and also be able to use 320D sprites.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1