IGNORED

MINDTHREAT: A CyberPunk Adventure - SD Game WIP

Clint Thompson

mindthreattitle.thumb.png.480e631d347399c561fb3bcc6ea7ea30.png

Over the past few years, I've had a consistent desire to create a CyberPunk-inspired game of sorts for the Jaguar. Those of you who talk with me regularly or follow me on social media know that I've been experimenting with a number of various game design and demo ideas for just as long. I've created and released a few simplistic things like the a JagMOD Jukebox, The Car Demo, Fish Feast Demo and Simone (which I'll eventually release this year). This single game idea interests me the most however and I'm hoping it's something that will be of interest to others as well.

The release of SainT's JagSD cart has alleviated any space issue constraints that would have made a game like this impossible before. So with that out of the way, now seems like a good time to create a dedicated thread for this game idea to discuss progress as it transforms from concept to reality. I haven't made a final decision on player movement/interaction yet but have a few ideas which can be seen in the videos below (running on real hardware):

What is the game supposed to be about - the nitty gritty of it all:

Intended to be a mature-based game of deception, you'll have to find a way to either erase your history or prove your innocence... or die trying!

You wake up in an empty call girl's house only to learn that you've been accused of murdering your girlfriend and the authorities are on the way to take you down. Your memory is hazy and you feel confused. Were you drugged or did you party too hard? You'll have to avoid being caught while piecing together the reality of what actually happened. Along the way there will be puzzles to solve, you'll encounter conflict and fights, do favors such as hack risky ATM networks to obtain money and receive aid in the process. Is dying your only way out?

Goals for the game:

●SD-based to utilize vast storage options without limitation

●160+ rendered scenes to explore with varying 'live' elements dependent upon player interaction (such as smoke/fog, flashing lights, characters talking).

●Full music soundtrack with theme songs / sounds to match your current state or situation (Title Screen music in video below).

●Multiple mini-games required to be played/won for game advancement (hacking, fighting, racing and more) sounds like a lot but they're mini, not full-blown.

●Interaction with dozens of digitized in-game characters with voice acting, some utilizing actual Jaguar-fans from the community (more below).

●Building entrance access to places such as warehouses, bars, clubs and other areas to discover.

●Multiple endings based on your ability to succeed or alternate paths taken attempting to win the game.

Please keep in mind a lot of this stuff was created in 2018 or earlier this year as a rough proof of concept but ultimately put on hold until the SD materialized. Turns out you can only do so much before having the required hardware and software to proceed.

Output capabilities of the Jaguar:

Take away the storage limitations and suddenly you have space for all sorts of really nice screens, may they be static or otherwise. Here are a few shots of the concept running on the Jaguar and output to a Sony CRT.

Your first encounter may be the call girl that warns you about said authorities on the way. Is she even trustworthy or just street scum?

callgirlstreet.thumb.jpg.3d7ca60794d9814ef7e92b52dc31efeb.jpg

You have a flashback. Are these the last memories of your girlfriend before she was murdered... supposedly, by you?

jbed.thumb.jpg.e084b513c121358ad39c109e13f5d868.jpg

Zoe is a friend available to help when in need and she's probably got just the thing to save your ass at her warehouse. If you can make it that far.

zoewarhouse.thumb.jpg.79f2b3b64fcef62fd41e3a9a3e0fd7b9.jpg

If you're walking the streets during the day, chances are you're on the wrong path and more likely on the way to being busted instead...

zstreets.thumb.jpg.79de1cdc3e3032ad28e4f87a78c32f62.jpg

Turns out Zoe has a boyfriend and he's jealous as hell. Now you have to explain why exactly you were with her the other night. Is this your Kiss of Death?

*test render, not on CRT:

darius.png.png.d52c91acd7ec7ee0cf95e0b133a3076c.png

She's pissed because you're giving her a hard time and unable to pay for the photos she's acquired for you. Now what are you going to do?

*test render, not on CRT

callgirl.thumb.png.565a27c8cdd3838cc28d34d5dd757ee0.png

Jaguar Fans in the Game!

This is something that seemed and still seems like a fun idea to do. And why not? After all, the game is intended for not just me but for of all of us. How could it not be fun to include some of the fans in the community as part of a futuristic CyberPunk game on the Jaguar?! I reached out to a few last year so that I could learn and experiment with rendering in some for the game.

The screens you see are used only as a test bed for placement but Andrew (Master-Cast TV) can be seen here in a diner scene, very disgruntled to be working so late and not at all happy that you're most likely about to waste his time asking questions instead of ordering something. Does this place ever close?

rosa.thumb.jpg.5bb2a9c10f08a98f816f5fb3f450c4e3.jpg

Things have taken a turn once you leave and now he's out on the streets with fist clenched. No idea what's about to go down...

*test render

rosastreets.thumb.PNG.c81120e96515848f23ca9d1c7402f617.PNG

Turns out Aleks (another Jaguar Fan) was just outside the Bar and has given you some bad news. Or is he there to intercept you with your new found info?

*test render

aleks.thumb.png.757a6720bc734ecd89537b2a2d3ca264.png

Feel like being a part of the game? If you don't mind having your face and voice used when the time comes, please feel free to drop me a message.

.....to be continued

• Like 17

Looking great Clint, 

I`m a bit reluctant on the minigames side as I can`t really remember when there was a game that incorporated many different games made up a cool game as a whole, but I really would like to be surprised here and the setting is cool, your renderings and everything is great, so I`ll be wathcing the progress with pleasure.

• Like 1

Holy shit Clint this is looking great! I know you've been talking about wanting to do a cyberpunk game for a while now. The graphics look great and this has some serious potential. Good for you man to keep at it on this. Hopefully the Jag SD makes it a reality for you. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 8:45 AM, Saturn said:

This is great. Would like to be in it :)

20 hours ago, Sauron said:

You've gotta have me in your game, bro. Especially as someone evil!

Saturn and Sauron, it shall be done! Thanks for willing to subject yourself and being digitalized into 64-bits of harms way! ; -) 

On 9/30/2019 at 12:58 PM, marss said:

Are you using PoserPro?

Very nice graphics ;)

I use it all: Poser, iClone, Blender, GIMP, Grafx2, XnView... 

21 hours ago, PeterG said:

Looking great Clint, 

I`m a bit reluctant on the minigames side as I can`t really remember when there was a game that incorporated many different games made up a cool game as a whole, but I really would like to be surprised here and the setting is cool, your renderings and everything is great, so I`ll be wathcing the progress with pleasure.

Appreciate everyone’s feedback!

To elaborate regarding the mini games, I mean directly related to the tasks or missions or however you would like to label it as being a part of the way to complete the game. 

Hacking for example could be multiple things and represented as a visual mini game. Say you get ahold of Sauron’s transfer cards in the alley after a confrontation. You’d then take the card to one of the machines to try and transfer the funds to your account without being traced. You would probably have a memory game similar to that of Mastermind disguised as hacking with like 30 seconds to figure out a 2 or 3 digit access code, otherwise you’re screwed. Ideally there would be two options or ways to get something you need for your next goal along the way. The easier task of the two would be riskier if you failed and would be penalized higher as a result. However that unfolds. 

14 hours ago, jenovi said:

This looks like a very exciting project. Do you post on twitter? I wouldn't mind following you there. 

@mindthreat on Twitter actually :) so easy enough to find.

• Like 3

Wow, just wow. Such a juggernaut of a game is probably set to be released in quite some time, but this is a game I'd preorder for sure! (And I've only preordered four games in my life, including HL2 and KotOR.) As a fan of cyberpunk, this is the Jaguar project I'm most hyped about, which is saying alot with very interesting projects in the pipeline. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2019 at 12:02 PM, Arcadia said:

Has there been an update on this? You know, like the inclusion of the Tesla Cybertruck? ;)

On 11/28/2019 at 9:47 AM, Kalani said:

Any plans for action element? Like beatemup or shootemup? 

Nothing really new to share, it’ll probably be quite a while until the backend stuff is fully available in regards to the JagSD / GD so working on the smaller things for now. I have made progress on two of the mini-game modules though (one puzzle and one racing) so I’ll have 3 out of the dozen or so almost done for implementation. The 3rd being the ATM hacking, probably the easiest one to make. 

No plans for a Cybertruck :) but there will be hovercrafts and a few Double Dragon-styled fighting scenes, which is also what I would categorize as a mini game, so I guess that would be 4.

6 Jag fans submitted to become implemented in game and that’ll probably just about do it unless I add a few more random encounter types throughout. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Will the ATM hacking include an Atari Portfolio like in Terminator 2? ;)

That was probably the greatest in movie placement of an Atari computer ever.

This looks amazing!  Been running a tabletop Cyberpunk game for a year now, the genre is kind of hard to get just right, and it sounds to me like you absolutely nailed it!  I'd definitely be in for a copy.

• Like 2