IGNORED

Atari 810 US vs UK...any difference?

Mulbin

810 cases are very, very, VERY delicate.  I've bought two of them on eBay and both arrived with busted up cases.  If you go forward, you should impress this upon the seller.  Ask for heavy bubble wrap coverage and tell them to throw the power brick away.  It will be useless in the UK, and will just be a wrecking ball inside the box.

GL!

• Like 3

tell them to sell the power brick to someone else or pack it separately.

the package method needed is simply strong corrugated cardboard box, stryro sheet in the bottom of the box around the sides and reserving one sheet for the top. Styro sheets around the drive and the then heavy bubble wrap around that. Place the reserved sheet on the top after closed.

There drive should not move a around and a disk should be in the drive (or the shipping card).

I have never had an issue when shipped in that fashion to or from me.

Every time there is no styrofoam sheet (1/8 inch) around the drive... the case ends up snapped at or near the closure posts and screws...

Edited by _The Doctor__

3 hours ago, Sugarland said:

The US version has a tomato chip. The UK version has a tomato chip.

I’d better call the whole thing off!

Thanks all, I’ll get one without the brick, good to know power is a separate unit on US 810s! Always seemed odd the US 410 has a hard wired mains plug.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Fred_M said:

Not all 410's have a hard wired plug. There are 410's out there which need a separate 6v power adaptor.

Are you sure they aren’t just European 410s? All 410s over here (UK) use the separate 6v adaptor, but all the 410s I’ve ever had from the states have been hard wired.

24 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

I am not sure, but when you search for 410p on this forum, you see posts by people from the US and Canada who own this variant of the 410.

I'm pretty sure I remember my original 400 psu had an extra port for running the 410, I could be wrong though, killed a lot of brain cells in the last 40 years 

21 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

tell them to sell the power brick to someone else or pack it separately.

haha, yeah.  The "throw it away" line was just to make the point.

The 1st 810 I ordered came loose in a box with a couple of thin USPS bubble wrap envelopes taped around the drive.  The case was shattered in front and two of the internal support posts on one side were broken off.  The 2nd came double boxed with a thin layer of bubble wrap around the drive with the bare power brick floating in the box at the rear end of the drive.  Of course, the rear of the case was crushed.  This was after communicating the delicacy of the case to the seller.  I've pretty much given up on getting one unbroken at this point.  Both drives work and I've pieced the cases back together.

13 hours ago, Fred_M said:

I am not sure, but when you search for 410p on this forum, you see posts by people from the US and Canada who own this variant of the 410. 

Got one here, (in Canada) with pictures... the PSU is somewhere, not the original though.

410_6V_1.jpg 410_6V_2.jpg

12 hours ago, mimo said:

I'm pretty sure I remember my original 400 psu had an extra port for running the 410, I could be wrong though, killed a lot of brain cells in the last 40 years 

The 400 PSU was 9V AC, and only the earliest versions were 15.3VA... Never heard of one with a separate output for the 410.

12 hours ago, mimo said:

My 400 psu had an extra port to plug in a cable to power the 410. I'll try to get a photo of it later.

I still have the 400 and it works like a charm but my 410 is long gone, unfortunately! :(

31 minutes ago, Nezgar said:

Got one here, (in Canada) with pictures... the PSU is somewhere, not the original though.

410_6V_1.jpg 410_6V_2.jpg

The 400 PSU was 9V AC, and only the earliest versions were 15.3VA... Never heard of one with a separate output for the 410.

The 410P uses a separate 6VDC 300mA power supply, it doesn't connect to the 400 power supply. Both labels have the voltage/current requirements.

1 hour ago, GreyHobbit said:

My 400 psu had an extra port to plug in a cable to power the 410. I'll try to get a photo of it later.

I still have the 400 and it works like a charm but my 410 is long gone, unfortunately! :(

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not going mad!

Made by Tamod?

My brother threw our "family 400" away about 15 years ago, just when I was getting an itch to play on Atari again, typical!

I still have the boxed 410 though, needs new belts at the very least. I might get round to it at some point ?

Edited by mimo
edit

12 minutes ago, mimo said:

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not going mad!

Made by Tamod?

My brother threw our "family 400" away about 15 years ago, just when I was getting an itch to play on Atari again, typical!

I still have the boxed 410 though, needs new belts at the very least. I might get round to it at some point ?

Tadmod, yes that's the one, you definitely aren't going mad ?

The main output for the computer was 9v AC, but on one of the corners there was a 2.5mm jack socket that provided 6v DC for the 410.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GreyHobbit said:

Tadmod, yes that's the one, you definitely aren't going mad ?

The main output for the computer was 9v AC, but on one of the corners there was a 2.5mm jack socket that provided 6v DC for the 410.

Phew! yes that is what I remember, wish I still had it 

9 hours ago, mimo said:

Phew! yes that is what I remember, wish I still had it 

This is my 400 psu. You can see the label shows the two outputs, 9v AC & 6v DC.  The jack for the 6v output is on the corner.

The label says "Made in England" so maybe it was a UK-specific modification.  My old 1050 had the exact same psu but without the 6v DC output, IIRC.

It's a bit dusty, I must show it some TLC soon.  The 9v cable is showing signs of the insulation cracking right where it emerges from the case, I don't know if that can be repaired or if I just need to handle with care.

Geoff

IMG_20191002_182844__01.jpg

IMG_20191002_182650__01__01.jpg

IMG_20191002_182921__01.jpg

IMG_20191002_182801__01.jpg

• Like 1

@GreyHobbit  Thanks so much for sharing this, that is the exact PSU I remember.
Not easy to repair IIRC, they are pretty well sealed but you might be able to hack enough of a hole in the bottom of the case to gain enough access to do the repair. I did this on a 1050 psu years ago