IGNORED

Flashback 9 Gold CFW to load roms and boxart from SD

On 10/4/2019 at 5:41 PM, radiohead said:

I took the liberty of updating the all-games.ini file downloaded from the FB9 to include the 12 missing M Network games' meta-data. All the hidden roms and boxart are already stored on the console, this .ini file just unlocks it. You should now have access to all 132 roms, boxart and instructions. After you follow the instructions from Post#10 above, unzip the attached file and replace the original all-games.ini with this file on your SD card.

Also, if you add "Genre=atvi" to future entries in the .ini file, the rom then appears in the Activision Games submenu, and "Genre=paddles" makes it appear in the Paddle Games submenu. (Astroblast now appears in the Paddle Games list.)

I'm continuing to add more titles to my menu (mostly all the arcade ports and the entire Activision/Imagic catalog). So far, I have a total of 160 titles and boxart appearing on the menu with no issues. If there is such a place to share entries, I can contribute more. Much thanks to Brad_from_the 80's for all his help with this!

all-games(all_132_rom_data).zip 73.12 kB · 27 downloads

First: Thank you for sharing this!

Second: Every time I try to use your INI nothing shows up in Atari and everything else is screwed up. If I revert back to the default INI it works fine. Any ideas?

1 hour ago, TwoShedsWilson said:

First: Thank you for sharing this!

Second: Every time I try to use your INI nothing shows up in Atari and everything else is screwed up. If I revert back to the default INI it works fine. Any ideas?

I'm sorry that you're having problems - it was the exact .ini file I was using. Is the file extracting as "all-games.ini" (along with the file extension .ini?) If the file extension is not there, it can't be read. Add the ".ini" extension if it's not there.

Otherwise, if there were any script/coding problems, it would only affect the metadata of 12 new games, not the original 120 games that proceed them in the file.

Was anybody else having similar problems? Let me know and I'll load it again if necessary. I'm up to 170 games in the main menu, plus added 2 new bezels. I'm loving this CFW!

Edited by radiohead

I'll probably just start building a new one a few games at a time to see if I can reproduce whatever is breaking it. If I were a better coder I'd write something to do this automatically, but it would likely take me weeks to make something that works.

Either way, loving the CFW. Next up replacing the resistors to make my paddles work. I've never soldered something this small before. Should be fun.

7 minutes ago, TwoShedsWilson said:

I'll probably just start building a new one a few games at a time to see if I can reproduce whatever is breaking it. If I were a better coder I'd write something to do this automatically, but it would likely take me weeks to make something that works.

I did the paddle swap out months ago. Personally, I think that's easier compared to circuit board, component-level soldering (I am NO electrical engineer.) Open up the controller, unscrew the lock nut holding the potentiometer,  replace the pot, solder 2 wires onto the new leads, screw the lock nut back on, close up controller. Done.

5 hours ago, TwoShedsWilson said:

Yeah, but I'm hoping this will fix the compatibility with the keypad controller too.

Wait... what did I miss?  Where are instructions about changing out resistors for paddle compatibility?  I've only seen the info about potentiometers.

3 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

Wait... what did I miss?  Where are instructions about changing out resistors for paddle compatibility?  I've only seen the info about potentiometers.

Bill posted this link in a 2 or 3 related threads around here:

https://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2019/10/15/hardware-mod-to-support-standard-paddles-on-atari-flashback-9-and-9-gold/

It's cool to have the info, and I may try it, but I also thinking modding the paddles themselves will be much easier for most people.

Give me a week or two and I may have a utility ready for editing the INI file.  If not sooner.

I just wanted to edit out "BOOM" from the interface, but I thought, "why not add a little flare?".  Here are some updated backgrounds with some 2600 texture and wood accent (For the standard hdmi Flashback 9 only, not the Gold version).  You could use it with the Gold, but it might not match the other interface parts.  Also, some of the interface files are hardcoded to be read from the internal storage, but I included them anyway in case anyone wants to rebuild their partition and flash it back to their device.

IMG_1106_sm.thumb.jpg.6665730571f08c572344e47f28bf0639.jpg

Wood_Theme.zip

Here is a bezel with its thumbnail as well:

bezel02.thumb.png.ad4a5d031f3039e6455eb5aeb7469925.png  bezel_thumb02.png.3b63f94faab92d516f82cd490423d7ee.png

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Here's Zaxxon, Xevious, Wizard of Wor, Venture, Strip Off, Atari Video Cube, and The Adventures of TRON. (No ROMS of course) Please feel free to let me know if something needs to be changed. Trying to trim the instructions down to something manageable while not losing important information is really tricky on some of these.

FB9-Grp1.zip

7 hours ago, TwoShedsWilson said:

Here's Zaxxon, Xevious, Wizard of Wor, Venture, Strip Off, Atari Video Cube, and The Adventures of TRON. (No ROMS of course) Please feel free to let me know if something needs to be changed. Trying to trim the instructions down to something manageable while not losing important information is really tricky on some of these.

FB9-Grp1.zip 1.23 MB · 2 downloads

You beat me to it uploading Zaxxon, Xevious, WoW, Venture & TRON. ;-)

Anyway, here are some more Arcade/Activision/Imagic ini & box art files: Conquest of Mars, Draconian (early Stella 3.9.3 version), Dragonfire, Fall Down, Kangaroo, Kung-Fu Master, Midnight Magic, Moonsweeper, Omega Race, Rampage, Sky Jinks, Solar Fox, Solar Storm, Space Rocks, Star Voyager Tapper, Taz, Time Pilot, Trick Shot, Tron Deadly Discs and Vanguard.

I'm done with this for a while. Will happily contribute more later, maybe when everyone starts hacking the FBX. But I'm going to keep on with the FB9. I have  over 180 games so far in the main menu and it runs beautifully.

Arcade_Collection_2.zip

Edited by radiohead

This is very cool!

I have compiled most of these various shared ZIPs into my Flashback 9 and am now running 203 games.

Everything looks great except for some reason the "Atari Games" section of the menu is coming up blank.  The other menus (Recently Played, Alphabetical, Paddle Games, SD Card) all have games in them.

Anyone know why the Atari Game section would be blank?

1 hour ago, chad5200 said:

This is very cool!

I have compiled most of these various shared ZIPs into my Flashback 9 and am now running 203 games.

Everything looks great except for some reason the "Atari Games" section of the menu is coming up blank.  The other menus (Recently Played, Alphabetical, Paddle Games, SD Card) all have games in them.

Anyone know why the Atari Game section would be blank?

The ini files I'm uploading is based on my system, the FB9 Gold, which is sorting Activision games instead of Atari games in the main menu.

It should be easy enough to fix. For "Genre=" type in whatever the tag is for Atari ("atari"?). Look at your original all-games.ini file to find out.

Edited by radiohead

1 hour ago, radiohead said:

The ini files I'm uploading is based on my system, the FB9 Gold, which is sorting Activision games instead of Atari games in the main menu.

It should be easy enough to fix. For "Genre=" type in whatever the tag is for Atari ("atari"?). Look at your original all-games.ini file to find out.

Ah, yes.  I see.  Originally all the Atari game were "Genre=atari" and those are all changed.

I wonder if there's anyway to change the Atari category to Activision on the non-Gold?  Would kind of prefer it that way if it was possible.

If anyone is wanting to add some games, I've compiled a list of some of the bigger 3rd party manufacturer companies that are missing from what already has been submitted.

ACTIVISION
Bridge
Checkers
Commando
Double Dragon
Ghostbusters
Ice Hockey
Private Eye
River Raid II
Robot Tank
Space Shuttle
Starmaster

IMAGIC
Fathom
Fire Fighter
Laser Gates
No Escape!
Quick Step!
Riddle of the Sphinx
Shootin' Gallery
Sky Patrol
Subterranea
Wing War

PARKER BROTHERS
G.I. Joe - Cobra Strike
James Bond 007
Lord of the Rings: Journey to Rivendell
Montezuma's Revenge
Mr. Do!'s Castle
Q*bert's Qubes
Reactor
Sky Skipper
Spider-Man
Strawberry Shortcake Musical Matchups
Super Cobra

M NETWORK
Bump 'n' Jump
Kool Aid Man
Masters of the Universe - He Man

COLECO
Carnival
Donkey Kong Junior
Looping
Mouse Trap
Mr. Do
Roc N Rope
Smurfs: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle
Turbo

CBS ELECTRONICS
Blueprint
Mountain King
Tunnel Runner

SEGA
Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom
Congo Bongo
Spy Hunter
Sub Scan
Thunderground
Up n' Down

KONAMI
Marine Wars
Strategy X

TIGERVISION
Espial
Jawbreaker
King Kong
Marauder
Miner 2049er
Miner 2049er II
River Patrol
Springer
Threshold

I've updated the first Wood Theme so the text is easier to read in the detail, about, and settings screens.  Also, I made a variant swapping around the wood and VCS textures.  The file sizes are smaller in this V2 since the larger area of the screen is a solid color.  There are also bezels included in these as seen below.  They are modified versions of Exodus' CRT retroarch bezels (Credits and links given in the included ReadMe).  Again, these are for the Standard FB9 HD, not Gold.  However, the music and bezels can be used with Gold or Standard.

Version 1 (Updated)

IMG_1106_sm.thumb.jpg.010e70c2993c62367ad61156cb23f467.jpg

Wood_Theme_V1.zip

Version 2

IMG_1118_sm.thumb.jpg.3504c564f82e93f81afb5b1dbf28d086.jpg

Wood_Theme_V2.zip

Edit: Added HD logo to top right corner.  If you prefer to have the HD logo, download these and rename them.

Wood HD Logo.zip

Sample of Version 1 & 2 with HD logo:

bkg_launcher_V1HD.thumb.png.fac0d82a64934a540540c45782e54f65.png bkg_launcher_V2HD.thumb.png.1ccec1e1d739dae6cbde42705b1f0bb3.png

Bezels

IMG_1113_sm.thumb.jpg.0a6896a5ad87a910563b3262a0e719b0.jpg IMG_1114_sm.thumb.jpg.2bd0ca289bae04c72bc402ecd2f75662.jpg IMG_1116_sm.thumb.jpg.32e771d3dbc13bb9fd82bbc499994bff.jpg

P.S.

I recently saw the standard Flashback 9s on clearance at my local Walmart for just $11.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

I've updated the first Wood Theme so the text is easier to read in the detail, about, and settings screens.  Also, I made a variant swapping around the wood and VCS textures.  The file sizes are smaller in this V2 since the larger area of the screen is a solid color.  There are also bezels included in these as seen below.  They are modified versions of Exodus' CRT retroarch bezels (Credits and links given in the included ReadMe).  Again, these are for the Standard FB9 HD, not Gold.  However, the music and bezels can be used with Gold or Standard.

Version 1 (Updated)

IMG_1106_sm.thumb.jpg.010e70c2993c62367ad61156cb23f467.jpg

Wood_Theme_V1.zip 3.38 MB · 1 download

Version 2

IMG_1118_sm.thumb.jpg.3504c564f82e93f81afb5b1dbf28d086.jpg

Wood_Theme_V2.zip 2.88 MB · 2 downloads

Edit: Added HD logo to top right corner.  If you prefer to have the HD logo, download these and rename them.

Wood HD Logo.zip 3.89 MB · 1 download

Sample of Version 1 & 2 with HD logo:

bkg_launcher_V1HD.thumb.png.fac0d82a64934a540540c45782e54f65.png bkg_launcher_V2HD.thumb.png.1ccec1e1d739dae6cbde42705b1f0bb3.png

Bezels

IMG_1113_sm.thumb.jpg.0a6896a5ad87a910563b3262a0e719b0.jpg IMG_1114_sm.thumb.jpg.2bd0ca289bae04c72bc402ecd2f75662.jpg IMG_1116_sm.thumb.jpg.32e771d3dbc13bb9fd82bbc499994bff.jpg

P.S.

I recently saw the standard Flashback 9s on clearance at my local Walmart for just $11.

It's really hard to read the line of page numbers below the 10 screenshots.

Can you do something about that?

Just now, chad5200 said:

It's really hard to read the line of page numbers below the 10 screenshots.

Can you do something about that?

There are 2 ways to fix that.

1) Make the background lighter (I don't want to do that)

2) Edit the font color of the interface which is in the firmware (I haven't touched any of that)

I did think about the black numbers on the dark background, but it doesn't bother me because you can easily see the highlighted page number since it's in yellow.  The 2nd option would be the way to go imo, but like I don't really want to get into that any time soon.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TwoShedsWilson said:

Since I'm really slow at getting this done, here is a Google Drive link of everything I've done so far. Please feel free to take and update whatever you want. I do ask if you fix or improve anything, please upload it back to this share for others to use.

Cool! This may be the "go-to" link for these FB9/FBX CFW files. ;-) 

Edited by radiohead

I've been doing this for awhile and will upload what I have.   I've made some box art of hacks that I enjoy.   All art work that have been uploaded so far are in the format a26.  Mine are in .bin format which the flashback does accept, thankfully, but you will probably have to change to .a26 if you have that format.  I do have txt files that are different than the ones already uploaded, like Superman or Defender.   This is only because I enjoy the background story of the manuals.  Instead of rewriting what's already uploaded, I'll probably upload them as Superman1, etc.  Using the sort field in the ini file, I found I could sort the boxart by company and by year.  I prefer this than the typical A-Z sorting.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...