IGNORED

Flashback 9 Gold CFW to load roms and boxart from SD

If that is truly the problem, we can get past it dude.

We are essentially doing our own version of the same thing, we have already critiqued each other. its over. continue.

I'm not worried about anything thing that's been said.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

Well in spite of a little, umm, heartburn around here, I appreciate everyone contributing to add value to what I've done.  I will probably try to procure a FB X in the next couple weeks and I believe I should be able to do a similar firmware update those units, TBD.  I also had intended to maybe build some tool to help with the INI management, I just have to get some time to spend on it.

But thanks to everyone and hope you are all enjoying your Flashback 9 a little more than before.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

850+ Christmas Pack

Added a lot of the Atari Age Christmas titles. (But not all of them.)

Added the rest of the relevant box art from the 2nd art pack I received here.

Added interesting Hacks and Homebrews. (Aardvark, Amidar Double Speed, A Roach in Space, etc.)

Swapped out the unofficial silver Atari boxes that remained for their official box art.

Cropped and resized a few Homebrew box arts so they display better here.

Created few box arts for homebrews that had none available.

Finally completed alphabetizing the game list.

Merry X-Mas

Draxx

rom_v7.rar

That's the thing man, I have no clue. Mainly now, I'm looking to see what the Atari Flashback Portable "game" folder has that isn't here yet and IF there is art available (and its not a 1Player fixed version for the portable.) There is also a list of Homebrew games of 2019 here on AAForum, I'm trying to do those as New Years is coming up, but box art, roms and stella compatibility are making it impossible. They just aren't as easly available anymore, I'm hunting and pecking.

Most all the other stuff came from 2 different box art packs. I just added whatever art was in those packs. I had no idea what was a clone or unofficial art. I just added it all so it was processed and someone could add or remove it from there own list as wanted. (Most of those have been swapped to their original box art if available.) One pack had about 550~500 box arts and the second had around 700. I was thinking those were most all the commercial and non clone games. But, I found a lot were cones later.

I'm 41 years old, so I mean, I have a general idea of Atari, but unless the different boxes have the exact same name on it, I wont know. So, if Outlaw is the same thing as Gunslinger, you'll have to give me a break, and understand that all I had was a picture in a pack that I processed. Another thing is I have no idea what runs on this version of stella and what doesn't. That being said, I've learned quite a bit from doing this. I still have no idea what 1K, 4K, 8K, etc. means yet.

What I really need at this point is a list of shit you guys want added. and I'll source or custom create the art.

Can someone make a list of what real/commercial games are missing? 

Also, a generic image could be used for any game with no art available.

NO_ART.a26.png

NO_ART.a26.s.png

Updated Bezels Pack

bezels_v2.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 2

On 12/26/2019 at 3:10 PM, Draxxon said:

What I really need at this point is a list of shit you guys want added. and I'll source or custom create the art...

How about some more homebrew games? I think you've got Dintar's 4k version of Pac-Man on there, but not the 8k. How about the latest from Champ Games... Zookeeper Demo and Galagon come to mind. And the other Donkey Kong homebrew, whose screen doesn't scroll.

...and thought I saw some red Atari style boxes for non-Atari games. Tapper maybe? Next time I boot my system, I'll take a look and report back. Thanks again for all your work Draxxon! 

• Like 2

On 12/20/2019 at 3:14 PM, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Well in spite of a little, umm, heartburn around here, I appreciate everyone contributing to add value to what I've done.  I will probably try to procure a FB X in the next couple weeks and I believe I should be able to do a similar firmware update those units, TBD.  I also had intended to maybe build some tool to help with the INI management, I just have to get some time to spend on it.

But thanks to everyone and hope you are all enjoying your Flashback 9 a little more than before.

If this can pulled off on the FBX i will be the happiest man on earth!

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 4:10 PM, Draxxon said:

That's the thing man, I have no clue. Mainly now, I'm looking to see what the Atari Flashback Portable "game" folder has that isn't here yet and IF there is art available (and its not a 1Player fixed version for the portable.) There is also a list of Homebrew games of 2019 here on AAForum, I'm trying to do those as New Years is coming up, but box art, roms and stella compatibility are making it impossible. They just aren't as easly available anymore, I'm hunting and pecking.

Most all the other stuff came from 2 different box art packs. I just added whatever art was in those packs. I had no idea what was a clone or unofficial art. I just added it all so it was processed and someone could add or remove it from there own list as wanted. (Most of those have been swapped to their original box art if available.) One pack had about 550~500 box arts and the second had around 700. I was thinking those were most all the commercial and non clone games. But, I found a lot were cones later.

I'm 41 years old, so I mean, I have a general idea of Atari, but unless the different boxes have the exact same name on it, I wont know. So, if Outlaw is the same thing as Gunslinger, you'll have to give me a break, and understand that all I had was a picture in a pack that I processed. Another thing is I have no idea what runs on this version of stella and what doesn't. That being said, I've learned quite a bit from doing this. I still have no idea what 1K, 4K, 8K, etc. means yet.

What I really need at this point is a list of shit you guys want added. and I'll source or custom create the art.

Can someone make a list of what real/commercial games are missing? 

Also, a generic image could be used for any game with no art available.

NO_ART.a26.png 6.41 MB · 9 downloads

There's approximately 500 or so distinct commercially released Atari 2600 games, so that first pack you reference makes sense number wise.  Yes, many games had Sears releases and others had re-releases with new art.  If I were to go by the SmokeMonster rom package I have on my Harmony, there's 461 US games, 47 PAL, 13 Unl/World.  Released prototypes count is 72, while homebrew is obviously anyone's guess!  I think you've likely got everything covered at this point though, from the "classic era" which would be those released and unreleased games. 

Other questions, 4K, 8K, etc., are simply the old rom sizes.  That's the size of the chip on the cartridge that stores the game.  Most games were 4K early on, with 8K being ushered in earnest around '82 I think.  As for Stella, I believe others have chimed in that most games (dumps) will work on the version on the AtGames stuff.  Homebrew might be another story. 

6 hours ago, bradman77 said:

If this can pulled off on the FBX i will be the happiest man on earth!

I see little to no reason why it cannot be, plus paddles will work.

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 1

Hey Draxxon,

First great job.  I am able to play so much more on my FB9.

Two comments,

I am on a poor internet connection, speeds rivaling dial up.  Your zip files are not huge but even the 100M size tends to take most of an hour.  Would it be reasonable to say that the file v7 could be a base line and then any new or changed files could be smaller update/addition packs that you add to the existing v7.

Second, I produced Alien Greed 5 and the rom you have is one of Chris Read's early versions.  I have not released the final version of the rom yet (actually it is up to Chris as he is the author). Leave what you have but call it Alien Greed 5 Proto or some such.

Thanks,

bah

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2019 at 5:22 AM, Wizzard said:

Hi, I am using FB X and I can load the games from SD, but I still do not know how and where to put the boxarts for them. Can you help me, please?

This is for Atari Flashback 9. AFBX hasn't been hacked yet.

On 12/31/2019 at 12:56 AM, bah said:

Would it be reasonable to say that the file v7 could be a base line and then any new or changed files could be smaller update/addition packs that you add to the existing v7.

Second, I produced Alien Greed 5 and the rom you have is one of Chris Read's early versions.  I have not released the final version of the rom yet (actually it is up to Chris as he is the author). Leave what you have but call it Alien Greed 5 Proto or some such.

No problem on the name change for Alien Greed 5. I'll will add Proto to the title. Sorry for the confusion, I'm not overly knowledgeable of Homebrew releases. My Apologies.

So much gets edited in each new version, I would prefer to keep fresh downloads. Not sure about v8, because I've already started. But after that I will keep it separate and offer 2 versions. A fresh one and an update. There won't be too many more games added by me though. I'm going to start adding info the to ini file pretty soon.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 3:31 PM, save2600 said:

How about some more homebrew games? I think you've got Dintar's 4k version of Pac-Man on there, but not the 8k. How about the latest from Champ Games... Zookeeper Demo and Galagon come to mind. And the other Donkey Kong homebrew, whose screen doesn't scroll.

...and thought I saw some red Atari style boxes for non-Atari games. Tapper maybe? Next time I boot my system, I'll take a look and report back. Thanks again for all your work Draxxon! 

There are a couple wrong boxes left, because I don't have real art yet. I think Tapper has the right box. But please, if you see something wrong, let me know.

Galagon, Plague, and a few other new homebrews wouldn't run on this version of stella for me. Pac-Man 8K I know I have added to the new pack, grave digger, and a couple others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to go ahead and share where I am at now. Future updates will be small and just have to be added to this pack.
Not a whole lot has been done. But i wanted to start with a clean base for the updates to be added to.

Added a few Homebrew games. (Grave Robber, Zombie Chase, Death Match, etc.)

Added a few Hacks. (Pac-Man 8K, Donkey Kong II, Donkey Kong Remix, Donkey Kong Arcade)

Removed (Hack), (Proto), etc. descriptors from the display names. (They now look much cleaner and that type of game info can still be found on the Description Page.)

Added "Proto" to the display name of Alien Greed 5 as requested. I also changed the box art to match.

Lots of tiny edits and fixes, Happy New Years Guys.

I'm going to call this build "A.T.A.R.I." (AtariAge Text/Artwork/Rom Injector) version 0.8
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1983vZh-g8pnvs67GZ82sKzCztYOVb2iU

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 4

Okay, had a chance to take a quick look through the latest v8 set. Here's the boxes I caught that are incorrect for North America:

Dig Dug is shown in red, but the original was silver.

Donkey Kong Jr. is shown with its later Atari red box release, but the original was by Coleco

Ghostbusters shown in red, but the original was black and looked like this.

Mario Bros. is shown with a red box (believe these red boxes are the PAL and/or South American releases or later NA releases in some cases), but the original is silver.

Moon Patrol shown as red, but original is silver:   (AA's box image is not the original release btw) 

iu.jpeg.eb924209a4a2dba524f945e7d151c223.jpeg

Pengo is shown as red, but original is silver

RealSports Tennis shows as red, but original is silver.

Road Runner is shown as silver, but should be red.

Vanguard is shown as red, but should be silver

• Thanks 1

Perhaps this game doesn't work, (you've got Williamson's Star Castle), but Star Castle Arcade is missing. There may be a more recent final release version somewhere if not here:

And here's the DK Arcade game I was talking about. Third .bin down on the very first post is the most current I believe:

Nice job gathering these Draxxon! Some of the home-brews you included, I wasn't aware of... like the DK Lost Levels and the awesome Mario Bros. hack that puts the original to shame! Donkey Kong III on the VCS as well? Wow!   :love:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the help guys, I will get everything sorted and post the update sometime this weekend.
I was unaware of the different regions releases and box art. I'm learning as I go.

I too am ready to port everything over to the AFBX. I have an idea how to do it, but I can't figure out img repacker.

Edited by Draxxon

All the updated box art and suggestions by Save2600.
This is just the updated files. Put them in the rom folder and overwrite any existing files.

ATARIv0.8.1.rar

These are the removed and unused box arts I have.

unused_boxart.rar

Question: Is it possible to swap the emulator on this, like what was done on the Legends Flashback 2018? 

Specifically, a newer version of stella.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1