IGNORED

Flashback 9 Gold CFW to load roms and boxart from SD

• 1 month later...

ATARIv1.0
https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=735677

ATARIv1.1 (Update)

https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=736558

This is for the flashback X but you can find my final pack in the "roms_pack" --> "North_America" folder. It will work on the AFB9. Not sure about the emulator folder "themes" tho. youll have to test them out.

Edited by Draxxon

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My thanks to the people who did all this work to pull things together, here.

I've just got my Flashback 9 Gold, and did the firmware update from AtGames, now I guess I have to do the one in this thread.

Then looking for the packs ... it looks like ver. 7 on page 6 was the latest ... is that correct, or did the naming convention change, and there are later ones not using the same naming convention?

So.... A.T.A.R.I. (AtariAge Text, Art & ROM Injector) v0.1 - v0.9 was just me trying to get to 1100 games and have more than ArenaFoot's AFBP pack, w/ box art.
A.T.A.R.I. v0.X was me thinking I ported it over to the AFBX. (but it is actually still for the AFB9/G)

A.T.A.R.I. v1.0/1.1 was me getting to 1100 games and taking a break to work on the Legends Flashback and Coleco and Classic Sega. (I dumped all the assets I had)
A.T.A.R.I. v2.0 was me fixing the AFBX box art.  It displayed wrong. (For the AFBX, but will work on the AFB9, box art may not display correctly)

A.T.A.R.I. v2.1 everything was play tested. All of the non working roms were changed or removed.

A.T.A.R.I. v3.0/3.1/3.2 member, Rocketfan, added folder support, other cores, multiple BG menus, run commands, gotos, etc. for (AFBX ONLY)

A.T.A.R.I. v3.3 is when the naming convention changed to "NEXUS V0.1.0" The nexus is the name I gave to the "Hub" screen, and the new Project.

NEXUS V.0.2.0/2.1/2.2/2.3 (for the AFBX ONLY) the hub's layout changed and we got Atari 800 core support. 

This all spans two thread. the AFB9 CFW and AFBX CFW threads.

2.4 we got atari 800 onscreen keyboard and atari basic os.
All those packs are around here somewhere. I'm hoping good old RocketFan ports his updates over to the AFB9/G. I'm like 90% sure Nexus will work as is on it with Brad's CFW as is.

P.S. And if anyone really gives a eff..... NEXUS = Newly Engineered eXpandable United System.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Batchman said:

I got the 9 for easy firmware updating, because the X didn't have the card slot, but now I'm finding myself regretting that because the 9 doesn't allow good access to paddles. You ever make a purchase that you start thinking is a mistake?

how hard is the paddle mod? what are the results like?

1 hour ago, Draxxon said:

how hard is the paddle mod? what are the results like?

The resistors that you have to replace are very tiny.  It helps to have a magnifying glass.  I did it twice, once for my Gold and once for my standard 9.  The first time went really smooth, but the 2nd time was a real pain and I almost ruined it.  Both were successful in the end, but I got a little careless the 2nd time around since the 1st one seemed so easy.  Bottom line, if you do it, take your time and be careful.

After the mod, the paddles work about the same as the X, I suppose.  They seemed pretty smooth when I played them the other day, but there is enough delay that Kaboom isn't really playable once it gets fast.  Games like Breakout, Warlords, Circus Atari, and others that don't require quite as much fast precision play just fine.  The only way to play Kaboom is with real hardware, in my experience.

• Thanks 2

OK, I'm confused at this point.

I did the basic firmware update on my 9 Gold to gain access to the SD card.

I then did the CFW firmware update to hopefully get box art, and included the file that downloads the roms to the SD card.

And I added a pack of games in a GAME folder.

I now have three folders and a file on the SD card. The folder data is empty. The folder rom has the games downloaded from the unit and an all-games.ini file. The folder GAME has a whole bunch of games, a whole bunch of box art, and an all-games.ini file.

Now, here things get weird.

If I leave the atari_update.img file on the disk, it asks if I want to update the firmware. I press no, and the system starts and includes the SD Card option, and it has all the games listed, but it does not show the box art for the games in the GAME folder, even though the art is there. And in the all-games.ini file, there are some games that have text to show, but it won't show that text when you load the game.

If I delete the atari_update.img file, so it won't ask me if I want to update the firmware, the system boots right up, but the SD Card option is grayed out. I have to go back and add the .img file to the SD card again, or it won't let me use the SD card, and the box art never shows up.

What the blazes is going on with my 9 Gold system?!?!?

okay. you got it jacked up bud, but its totally fine and fixable.

1st. remove the custom firmware from your sd card. your done with that for good now. keep it in a folder or rename it if you really wanna hang onto it. dont leave it as is on the drive or the system will ask you every time.

2nd. you should have a folder /data for saves, you wont put anything in there the system uses it.

3rd. you can make a folder for roms you want to add by making a folder named /game - you can never run artwork from this folder. it functions just like stock. games in the bottom sd card list. folder has to be named exactly "game" (no quotes) and files have to be .a26 or .bin and cant have spaces periods or brackets "[]" in the name. that is what makes the grayed out list appear or not appear. if there is a proper named folder with proper roms there. (Again, no art or all-game.ini files go in the /game folder, just roms only, art will never show there.

4th. download one of my packs for the AFB9. you should now have a folder /rom with all the system games, artwork, ini file, and a shit ton of games and art i added extra.

5th. there are also two control files you should have. mountsd and startup. they just chill out on your root of your sd card with all your other folders.

6th. there is another folder named /emulator. those are the system files. dont mess with those unless you know what youre doing. get one from my pack, or your control files will dump the stock /emulator folder to your sd card the first time you power it on without an /emulator folder out on your card.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we added more games with art by hacking the systems all-games.ini file for built in games in the /rom folder, we didnt add art to the /game folder. Since its such a PITA to manually add a game with art to the main menu, I pre-built the packs. Your Sd Card should look like this:

Capture.PNG

Edited by Draxxon

https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=800515

So, in this pack, delete the /emulator folder. its for AFBX.

try putting all the other folder and files together on a fresh, blank drive and tell me what happens.
It may be black screen for a second when you power it on. its dumping your systems emulator folder 

and loading 1000 games.

Edited by Draxxon

OK, so the issue is that I needed to put your collection in the /rom folder, not in the /game folder.

Now all the games are in the main menu (with art), and I don't care that the SD card is grayed out! Guess I had it -almost- there!

Sorry for my confusion.

I figured I was probably doing something wrong ... just couldn't figure out what.

Edited by Batchman

yeah, you got it now. just... dont put my collection IN the rom folder. delete the /rom folder and paste mine in its place.

also, Im a bonehead, the pack i just shared has control files for the AFBX, you need the mountsd and startup files for the AFB9. you basically want to see if that /rom folder will work. Its the most up to date one before folder support was implemented. I wonder how box art displays. IDK yet. But that set removed all the tech demos and broken games.

as far as the /game folder. it basically functions as a test folder now, or a place to easily add stuff if your not sure how to or games you don't care enough about to put in the main list.

Edited by Draxxon

I just picked up a dirt cheap FB9, I've never had one and I am interested in adding the most complete rom pack from @Draxxon can someone link me to the most complete downloads for the FB9?

I've read through this thread and the FBX and I'm a little lost as to what will work on the 9

Well, I tried version 2.1 (non working games removed pack) on the afb9 and box art does not show up correctly. I doubled back for all the stuff that works and cut out all the needless files. But, that stuff is posted just above here if you did need any of it. This is a tweaked & streamlined pack. It will work with either the standard or deluxe version of the AFB9, HDMI/SD Card version, with a CFW installed. Put these files on the root of your SD Card. you can keep your /game folder or create a new one. you can keep your /emulator folder or the control files will dump a fresh /emulator folder from your system the first time you power it on. WAIT FOR IT TO DUMP! You only have to do it one time. If you didnt wait, delete the screwed up /emulator folder from your SD Card and just try again, no big deal. Its just the folder on your drive. I Should mention I have a standard unit running the gold CFW, my unit is essential a gold now without the wireless joystick support. Thank you, as always to 80's_Brad!

NOTE TO ADVANCED CFW USERS: If you have been using the 1.0/1.1 pack this whole time, or your own trimmed or custom list instead, there IS nothing new for you here. Seriously, don't change anything you have added or modified to go backwards to what is essentially a fresh, dumbed down version of 1.1. You will be pissed off. This is only for new users, ease of use and download or in case you couldn't weed through 1.1. Also to end what version is most up to date from me that works on a 9. Just getting my AFB9 back running v0.8, I was in the same boat. So, here it is.

A.T.A.R.I. V.3.4.0 (For Atari Flashback 9 & 9 Gold ONLY)

CODENAME: NEXLESS

A.T.A.R.I._V.3.4.0.rar

4 hours ago, Draxxon said:

Well, I tried version 2.1 (non working games removed pack) on the afb9 and box art does not show up correctly. I doubled back for all the stuff that works and cut out all the needless files. But, that stuff is posted just above here if you did need any of it. This is a tweaked & streamlined pack. It will work with either the standard or deluxe version of the AFB9, HDMI/SD Card version, with a CFW installed. Put these files on the root of your SD Card. you can keep your /game folder or create a new one. you can keep your /emulator folder or the control files will dump a fresh /emulator folder from your system the first time you power it on. WAIT FOR IT TO DUMP! You only have to do it one time. If you didnt wait, delete the screwed up /emulator folder from your SD Card and just try again, no big deal. Its just the folder on your drive. I Should mention I have a standard unit running the gold CFW, my unit is essential a gold now without the wireless joystick support. Thank you, as always to 80's_Brad!

NOTE TO ADVANCED CFW USERS: If you have been using the 1.0/1.1 pack this whole time, or your own trimmed or custom list instead, there IS nothing new for you here. Seriously, don't change anything you have added or modified to go backwards to what is essentially a fresh, dumbed down version of 1.1. You will be pissed off. This is only for new users, ease of use and download or in case you couldn't weed through 1.1. Also to end what version is most up to date from me that works on a 9. Just getting my AFB9 back running v0.8, I was in the same boat. So, here it is.

A.T.A.R.I. V.3.4.0 (For Atari Flashback 9 & 9 Gold ONLY)

CODENAME: NEXLESS

A.T.A.R.I._V.3.4.0.rar 146.11 MB · 1 download

Thanks so much for us newbies, I’ll be loading this up tomorrow on my new 9 and calling it a day. 

I love my FB9 and 9Gold; love the overall way they look, the shape, the controller ports in the front (although the angles would look better if not upside-down).  The rounded top of the console panel reminds me of a late 70s/early 80s car windshield which I really like.  The one thing I didn't like was the big round orange buttons.  I'd been thinking of 3D printing something different for them, but before doing that work, decided to paint them first.  I really like the result:

IMG_1210_sm.thumb.jpg.2044f5b5443a21aeddf65fe701e46344.jpg

I just wasn't sure what to do about the power button.  I thought about silver, but since this is my Gold model, I figured I'd try gold first.  Not sure if I like it.  Will probably try silver, but I'd like to hear other opinions.  Maybe someone's perspective will sway me to keep it or change it.  Maybe if I mask off a rounded rectangle shape and spray black over top so that the gold is in the shape of a switch on a woodgrain 2600/VCS (as if viewing switch from the top).

IMG_1212_sm.thumb.jpg.dd411ce1b6e0fc0bb3d426b40f0eb120.jpg

EDIT:

Photoshop to the decision making rescue...

IMG_1212a_sm.thumb.jpg.d4d06c2be93e27bd78dec3ca57d511bc.jpg IMG_1212b_sm.thumb.jpg.0c04211994fbcc5f99983f3a9dad4b7f.jpg

Meh...

But maybe ideas to work from.

EDIT2

Silver:

IMG_1216_sm.thumb.jpg.b087e7cfae478c36cd08951d115ef03e.jpg

Edited by KevinMos3