IGNORED

How to spot fake/repro carts

thenickman100

Midnight Mutants.  I offered $55 and the seller accepted immediately.  VGPC has it listed for $65.47 and the seller was listing for $75.  I just purchased it, so I do not physically have it yet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Midnight-Mutants-Atari-7800/123924329716?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Edited by thenickman100
More information

21 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Looks real, no question. And priced kinda high for a loose example if you ask me. Wasn't that long ago you could have snagged a CIB copy for that much. But wow, I see the price has really gone up on these! 

How can you tell real vs fake? I was watching these 4 or 5 years ago and they were much more reasonably priced and had a higher number of them listed.  Now I can never find reasonably priced copies for sale.

Like Al said, not easy to reproduce those labels. Have seen a ton and subtleties are easy to pick up on. Clarity of graphics/lettering, colors/contrast, die cut vs. hand cut, etc. Plus this (most 7800 games) aren't prone to being sold as a repro. Yet. lol

Fake label wouldn't have the same border tint either... would be more grey than silver looking. Sheen of silver vs. grey or would look too glossy if someone slapped clearcoat or packing tape over it.

• Like 2

$50 isn't a steal of a price on this. I think what you paid is more than fair, if not a little high. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $35 for a NTSC good condition copy of Midnight Mutants. Getting $15 off the trending high price of $65 isn't enough alone to worry about authenticity IMO. If you have suspicions in the future it's better to do your homework first instead of risking getting ripped off.  With that said, this is a 100 percent legit cartridge you have purchased. 

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

$50 isn't a steal of a price on this. I think what you paid is more than fair, if not a little high. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $35 for a NTSC good condition copy of Midnight Mutants. Getting $15 off the trending high price of $65 isn't enough alone to worry about authenticity IMO. If you have suspicions in the future it's better to do your homework first instead of risking getting ripped off.  With that said, this is a 100 percent legit cartridge you have purchased. 

What's the best way to determine how much a cart is worth without looking at the trending price?

18 minutes ago, thenickman100 said:

What's the best way to determine how much a cart is worth without looking at the trending price?

spend oodles of time on this board reading, mostly the marketplace here has a decent gauge on price for stuff.

Ebay BIN trends tend to be a little high, but you can score a good deal now and then if you're patient.

I sold a Midnight Mutants loose cart on there for $40 recently.

1 hour ago, thenickman100 said:

Not sure exactly what you mean by trending price, but eBay sold listings and sites like GameValueNow are good ways to figure out value. Many here on AA will scoff at eBay prices saying they would never pay X for Y, but the selling price of eBay listings is certainly indicative of market value.  Note, however, that eBay tends to play games on listings where an offer has been accepted, and will often list the original list price and NOT the negotiated price, in sold listings. That's annoying, to say the least. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sixersfan105 said:

Not sure exactly what you mean by trending price, but eBay sold listings and sites like GameValueNow are good ways to figure out value. Many here on AA will scoff at eBay prices saying they would never pay X for Y, but the selling price of eBay listings is certainly indicative of market value.  Note, however, that eBay tends to play games on listings where an offer has been accepted, and will often list the original list price and NOT the negotiated price, in sold listings. That's annoying, to say the least. 

The game the OP bought is a good example. He told us he paid $55 but yet ebay is listing it as sold for the full $75.

• Like 1

My two cents...don't be a in rush and just buy it here from a member when they list it (or even just set alerts on ebay and be really on it).  The collectard community hasn't discovered the 7800 system yet and as such IMO there's no rush to get anything...as it shouldn't be skyrocketing in value any time soon.

Now, if you see sealed Tank command for 5$....maybe you should just buy it.  But really, just take your time.