IGNORED

Atari 2600 composite mod

Anton Mikhailov

Recently I've picked up a light sixer on an estate sale and started thinking about adding a composite output to make it a little bit more pleasant to play. Not long after that my wife found another 2600 on a yard sale - this time it was a heavy sixer. Both consoles work fine although the image quality leaves a lot to be desired.

So now I have few questions:

1. Which of these consoles should I mod and which I should leave untouched?

2. Is it possible to route the composite output without cutting off some/any components?

3. As for the mod itself, which is preferred: drilling holes in case and putting in some rca connectors or just replacing original coaxial cable with composite one?

Thank you.

First ? answer = leave the heavy 6 untouched. They are more valuable from a collector standpoint.

Second ? Answer = In the case of the UAV mod you should be able to leave the system stock without removing any components. I can't answer on the others as I've never had to do any 2600 AV work only the 7800

Third ? Answer = Yes...there should be plenty of openings in the case where a separate RCA AV cable could be ran out with the connectors attached on the cable that way. Similar to the Flashback units and other composite mini type systems released in the previous years. I personally prefer to install physical RCA jacks on the consoles I service as it provides more flexibility in using the cables you want. And more  reliable because if something breaks internally in the added in cable, then there is more work required to take the system apart, de-solder the cable that was hardwired in with a new. RCA jacks aren't nearly as likely to wear out over time. But this is just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

First ? answer = leave the heavy 6 untouched. They are more valuable from a collector standpoint.

Second ? Answer = In the case of the UAV mod you should be able to leave the system stock without removing any components. I can't answer on the others as I've never had to do any 2600 AV work only the 7800

Third ? Answer = Yes...there should be plenty of openings in the case where a separate RCA AV cable could be ran out with the connectors attached on the cable that way. Similar to the Flashback units and other composite mini type systems released in the previous years. I personally prefer to install physical RCA jacks on the consoles I service as it provides more flexibility in using the cables you want. And more  reliable because if something breaks internally in the added in cable, then there is more work required to take the system apart, de-solder the cable that was hardwired in with a new. RCA jacks aren't nearly as likely to wear out over time. But this is just my opinion.

Agreed.

6 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Agreed as well to all the above.  However, I *have* installed a UAV in one of my 2600’s and can there’s no need to remove any components. Although a Sixer should allow you to install the board into the 4050 hex buffer socket, you can also just buy a bare board and simply run the wires for the various signals into the UAV, and then wire up the output signals however you prefer, leaving the system otherwise fully stock.

Thank you very much for your replies.

I'll mod light sixer then. I will not remove any components, leaving coaxial cable where it belongs. But cleaning heavy sixer inside out will not hurt I think.

Or... after thinking about it a little bit, I'll replace coaxial cable with another panel mount connector to avoid the cable mess. (:

Edited by Anton Mikhailov

3 hours ago, Anton Mikhailov said:

Recently I've picked up a light sixer on an estate sale and started thinking about adding a composite output to make it a little bit more pleasant to play. Not long after that my wife found another 2600 on a yard sale - this time it was a heavy sixer. Both consoles work fine although the image quality leaves a lot to be desired.

So now I have few questions:

1. Which of these consoles should I mod and which I should leave untouched?

2. Is it possible to route the composite output without cutting off some/any components?

3. As for the mod itself, which is preferred: drilling holes in case and putting in some rca connectors or just replacing original coaxial cable with composite one?

Thank you.

In case you need the info

• Thanks 1