IGNORED

Atari 2600 Mod gone wrong?

XeniaXMD

I tend to start on things like this, by actually going backward in the installation and taking the system back to stock status. That way, if I fire it up and it now works again as it did before, I know that I hosed up somewhere in the actual modding process and I'm not actually fighting a new hardware issues that has cropped up. Then I got back to redoing the mod and sure enough, I will find where I was off by one pin somewhere or a solder connection wasn't quite tight enough. Sometimes I do everything exactly the same way I did originally and it now works. When that happens I have to assume I still hosed up the installation somewhere and this time I magically got it right without noticing the earlier mistake, or I happen to have my eyebrow lifted just right with my tongue to the side as the right angle...etc.

But really, go back through the process in reverse step by step to see if something was missed. If nothing else, bring it back to stock condition to be sure it works normally.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 1:59 PM, XeniaXMD said:

So I had problems with my 2600 so I decided to try my hand at the AV Mod. I did all the work, it doesn't look great but I hoped it would work, but it didn't. Is anyone able to see what I did wrong and if I can fix it?

https://imgur.com/a/xY43JRJ

That connection to C214 looks pretty wild :)! I see the pad is gone for pin3 on the rf modulator pinout.  Also, the greenish wire connected to the resistor looks to be touching the pad next to it; might just be the pic but good to double check that.

Edited by Trellot

On 10/1/2019 at 4:59 PM, XeniaXMD said:

So I had problems with my 2600 so I decided to try my hand at the AV Mod. I did all the work, it doesn't look great but I hoped it would work, but it didn't. Is anyone able to see what I did wrong and if I can fix it?

https://imgur.com/a/xY43JRJ

Always ALWAYS troubleshoot the ORIGINAL issue before attempting any kind of modification, see if it is narrowed down to a simple hardware issue that could EASILY be fixed before resorting to an otherwise unneeded modification.