IGNORED

The "Grab Bag" Thread

Omega-TI

It's hoped that is thread might bring 'something interesting' to your attention that you may not have seen or even known about before.

What's uploaded to this thread (by anyone) is a mystery, at least at first.  You'll have to figure out what it is and how to load it.  If you fail, wait a day or two before asking for help (if needed).  

I'll start it off.

Grab Bag 01.zip

• Like 1

I would think that since this uses "colors per scanline" hackery, designing a GAME that incorporates such images would be... hard-- Short of something like porting Myst, (Or Dragon's Lair, as was demonstrated in practice), where you have static controls OUTSIDE of the raster area, and have minimal competition with that raster area for drawing arbitrary tiles or sprites that would compete with the color needs of those scanlines.

Now, what I would greatly appreciate, is an EC mode that gives me 2, 32-color palettes, but keeps 4x4 tiles, and 16x16 sprites.  I can do a shitload with 32 colors, but 8 colors, split among 8 palettes (ECM3) is just awful. (Seriously, all 8 palettes have a transparent color defined, so you effectively waste 7 of the colors straight off. This gets even worse if you want to shade your sprites, because you end up burning color picks on reused midtones. With just 2 palettes, I would only burn 2 on the transparent colors, and I could have more selection per-palette for midtones, to avoid color-redundancy waste.)

I can dream, right? :P

** DISCLAIMER **

(The text below is just a random thought put into words.  I make no suggestion that anyone devote any time effort or money into actually making it happen.)

It would be cool if the new F18A MK2 had an extra mode to have a "background layer" that could act/display independently of normal program operation.  Basically load a screen into background and then continue.  

5 hours ago, wierd_w said:

I would think that since this uses "colors per scanline" hackery, designing a GAME that incorporates such images would be... hard-- Short of something like porting Myst, (Or Dragon's Lair, as was demonstrated in practice), where you have static controls OUTSIDE of the raster area, and have minimal competition with that raster area for drawing arbitrary tiles or sprites that would compete with the color needs of those scanlines.

Nope. The mode uses zero CPU time, and only two of the four palettes. You can drop sprites overtop of it just the same as any other background graphics, and those sprites can use the other two palettes. You are, however, limited in how many sprites you can get into the remaining VRAM. ;)

Dragon's Lair uses the 9918A's standard bitmap mode.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

** DISCLAIMER **

(The text below is just a random thought put into words.  I make no suggestion that anyone devote any time effort or money into actually making it happen.)

It would be cool if the new F18A MK2 had an extra mode to have a "background layer" that could act/display independently of normal program operation.  Basically load a screen into background and then continue.  

You mean like the second tile layer? ;) You've already seen that in action in Mario Bros.