Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
--- Ω ---

The "Grab Bag" Thread

Recommended Posts

It's hoped that is thread might bring 'something interesting' to your attention that you may not have seen or even known about before.

What's uploaded to this thread (by anyone) is a mystery, at least at first.  You'll have to figure out what it is and how to load it.  If you fail, wait a day or two before asking for help (if needed).  

 

I'll start it off.

 

Grab Bag 01.zip

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you download the .ZIP file and are scratching your head on what to do with the files << CLICK HERE >>.  It'll download the program .BIN to your computer.

The files in the ZIP require an F18A, if you do not have one, load up Tursi's Classic99 and click on the appropriate box to select the proper emulation.

 

Hint.thumb.jpg.3b8d87e392e028c1ee2e2924ba3de80d.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can also drag/drop the file onto Convert9918 to view it ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Physical TI systems seem to have a type of drag/drop as well. They always seem to drag you to their location and make you drop any plans you had for the day. ;)

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tursi said:

You can also drag/drop the file onto Convert9918 to view it ;)

 

Yeah... I was hoping to get some feedback and then bring that program up afterwards.  BTW - Has anyone used it yet to make images for a video game?  I imagine it would save a lot of programming!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think that since this uses "colors per scanline" hackery, designing a GAME that incorporates such images would be... hard-- Short of something like porting Myst, (Or Dragon's Lair, as was demonstrated in practice), where you have static controls OUTSIDE of the raster area, and have minimal competition with that raster area for drawing arbitrary tiles or sprites that would compete with the color needs of those scanlines.

 

Now, what I would greatly appreciate, is an EC mode that gives me 2, 32-color palettes, but keeps 4x4 tiles, and 16x16 sprites.  I can do a shitload with 32 colors, but 8 colors, split among 8 palettes (ECM3) is just awful. (Seriously, all 8 palettes have a transparent color defined, so you effectively waste 7 of the colors straight off. This gets even worse if you want to shade your sprites, because you end up burning color picks on reused midtones. With just 2 palettes, I would only burn 2 on the transparent colors, and I could have more selection per-palette for midtones, to avoid color-redundancy waste.)

 

I can dream, right? :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

** DISCLAIMER **

(The text below is just a random thought put into words.  I make no suggestion that anyone devote any time effort or money into actually making it happen.)

It would be cool if the new F18A MK2 had an extra mode to have a "background layer" that could act/display independently of normal program operation.  Basically load a screen into background and then continue.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wierd_w said:

I would think that since this uses "colors per scanline" hackery, designing a GAME that incorporates such images would be... hard-- Short of something like porting Myst, (Or Dragon's Lair, as was demonstrated in practice), where you have static controls OUTSIDE of the raster area, and have minimal competition with that raster area for drawing arbitrary tiles or sprites that would compete with the color needs of those scanlines.

Nope. The mode uses zero CPU time, and only two of the four palettes. You can drop sprites overtop of it just the same as any other background graphics, and those sprites can use the other two palettes. You are, however, limited in how many sprites you can get into the remaining VRAM. ;)

 

Dragon's Lair uses the 9918A's standard bitmap mode.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

** DISCLAIMER **

(The text below is just a random thought put into words.  I make no suggestion that anyone devote any time effort or money into actually making it happen.)

It would be cool if the new F18A MK2 had an extra mode to have a "background layer" that could act/display independently of normal program operation.  Basically load a screen into background and then continue.  

You mean like the second tile layer? ;) You've already seen that in action in Mario Bros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...