IGNORED

Can any tape recorder work as a tape drive?

bluejay

Sure, I've used MP3 players and old smartphones to play back WAV files to old computers otherwise expecting a tape recorder. If you set up a recording program on your smartphone, you might even be able to use it bidirectionally, though that is not exactly what Bluejay was asking for.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 7:27 PM, bluejay said:

I don't have a functioning classic computer. The Commdore computers are a bit too expensive, I can't seem to find an Atari or TI computer that works offline, and if I find one online that is in working condition, the price and shipping is too expensive. Okay, enough about the whining. Can computers use any recorder as a tape drive? Will something from a mp3 player with game file to a Walkman cassette recorder with a software tape all work?

I have been trying this out over the last several weeks. And, for the most part, any cassette player worked well enough.

The ones I had a problem with were the Tandy Color Computer and MC-10 computers. They work fine with the CCR-81 and 82 tape drives and an external audio device (a phone, etc.). I could never find a sweet spot for any other cassette player. I was even able to use an Aluratek cassette tape with Bluetooth without any issues, using the CCR-81/82 tape drives. The playback doesn't seem loud enough for the computer to hear it reliably.

I was also able to get the Bluetooth cassette to work with the MSX 1 and 2, Commodore 64 and Vic-20, SpectraVideo, Tomy Tutor, Atari 8 bit, and the SuperCharger. The Atari 800 XL, with an Atari 410, was the hardest out of this group.

Edited by cdoty
  • Like 1