IGNORED

UAV in 600XL?

Larry

I have been working on a PAL 600XL. It came with the monitor jack and all of the extra video circuits were populated.  I am only getting black & white output and I was informed on another thread that this is normal for PAL machines.  Will a UAV output color even on a PAL machine.  I remember working on an 800XL and getting color output but I don't remember if I did a UAV on the 800XL or not.

I guess the problem is not on the 600xl. It might be in your monitor. 

ntsc only monitors and TVs are unable to "decode" the color signal of the PAL TV standard. That might be the reason you are not getting colors. 

The UAV will improve the image but if your monitor is NTSC only, it won't help you to get color. 

18 minutes ago, hueyjones70 said:

OK thanks, I was under the impression that the UAV created it's own signal independent of the video circuit of the computer.

The UAV takes the several LUM signals, SYN signal and COL signals from the Atari GTIA chip and uses its own circuits, not those on the Atari motherboard, to create Composite, Luma and Chroma signals of much higher quality than those produced by the stock Atari circuit. 

• 1 year later...
On 10/2/2019 at 4:10 PM, tf_hh said:

Hi Larry,

I´ve updated two times a 600XL with UAV. Installation is easy like in any 800XL, but... IMHO it´s not so mandatory like with the other systems.

The 600XL has the best video circuit of all Atari XL/XE systems. The whole video involved parts are away from other buss activity traces. I never saw a 600XL with vertical banding or other disturbations (as long a good power source is used). The one and only bad thing is the capacitor C109, which causes a very unsharp picture. Just remove it and you´re done. With a slightly S-Video mod the picture quality of the 600XL is nearly perfect as with UAV. Ok, I have only experience with PAL systems here, maybe it´s a difference with NTSC.

IMG_20180113_153539.thumb.jpg.f47ca70e7ee60e26bc4d331f0778cbbb.jpg

This picture shows a solder joint where to grab the COLOR signal.

Hi, I was planning to remove only C109 and still be using composite output (I do not want to do any more modifications needed for s-video). Will it give significantly better signal? or s-video is the way forward? Thanks!

2 hours ago, mikesk8 said:

Hi, I was planning to remove only C109 and still be using composite output (I do not want to do any more modifications needed for s-video). Will it give significantly better signal? or s-video is the way forward? Thanks!

here's where I installed a UAV in my 600xl without setting up for s-video: