IGNORED

Retrobit Tribute 64 Controller - Don't put a memory pak in it!

eightbit

I purchased one of these from Castlemania Games and received it a few days ago. It works fairly well....until I put a memory pak in it. It will NOT come out. No kidding. It was kind of tight going in, but it will not come out. I am a pretty strong guy and still I cannot get this out at all.

I spoke with Ryan over at Castlemania Games (highly recommended site, I have ordered a ton from them and all has been fantastic) and he has confirmed the issue himself. I am now going to have to send the controller back with my memory pak inside of it. I am in conversation with him and I am sure we will work something out.

But just a heads up for anyone who has one of these. Be careful!

• Like 3

Yeah, I didn't know either until I stuck a brand new 256MB pak in and now it is stuck for good :( Ryan tested them after I reported it with a Tomee pak and an official pack and both got stuck for him as well so he is reporting th eissue to Retrobit. We both couldn't believe this was missed. I am not knocking Retrobit at all (I have quite a few of their controllers for other platforms and really love them) and I understand things happen. But whomever was in charge of Q&A must not have tested memory paks or something....because you would catch this issue the first time you tried putting one in.

Just as a follow up to my experience with Castlemania Games, they are sending me a Brawler 64 for free and told me to keep the Retrobit controller. I cannot emphasize how great their customer service is....highly recommended. Tomorrow I will crack this thing open like shucking a clam and extract my pearl of a memory card. The carcass will go right in the trash :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NinjaWarrior said:

Did you try to open it up to try to take the Memory Pak out?

Haha, yeah. Well, you can't really "open" it in the traditional sense because two of the screws holding the housing together are UNDER the memory card! I figured I would just manhandle this thing and literally cracked it open...which was no easy task in itself. Once I had it apart I STILL could not get the pak out. It is just so wedged into the plastic that there is just no way other than to start cutting the plastic and with that you are going to ruin your card anyway. I gave up and everything went in the trash....including my memory card. 

Again, I cannot emphasize this enough...do NOT put one in unless you want to have a pak permanently be a part of the controller. They should (hopefully) fix this in future revisions. All I can say is if you start to put the pak in and it feels "tight" or "tough" to get it there, STOP. These paks should go in like they do an original controller...nice and smooth. This was ridiculous.

It's right where it belongs now.

2019-10-04 08.45.59.jpg

2019-09-30 17.22.54.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jhd said:

Can the memory card be removed from its case (and therefore fit into the controller)? There does not seem to be an obvious way to modify the controller.

Possible, but I wouldn't want just the PCB sticking in there. I would rather move to a different controller until they resolve this. I am unsure if they will even say anything at all as it would probably mean a serious recall. Maybe they will ust silently fix it...or maybe it will never be fixed. In any case while I do love their other controllers I will not revisit this one. I have a Brawler 64 coming as the replacement so we'll see how that turns out.

Interesting. I didn't have this problem, though my memory card is a different brand from yours. I wonder if there was a bad run of controllers.

I like the Brawler 64 more... interesting to see how their Sega Genesis/Saturn controller will be once it hits the market and reviews and opinions get out.

I got the Brawler 64 today and I have to say it is the better controller. Putting aside the memory card issue, the analog itself on the Brawler is not a twitchy/sensitive as the Retrobit controller was...and that is a GOOD thing. It functions really well and for now I have shelved my original controllers in preference of using this as it just feels really good.

It's been a long time since I used an N64 memory card (most of the games I play on the system have a battery), but can you just plug it into a regular controller and save games that way or must it be in player 1? It's been like around 20 years since I actually used one. A cool way to make a new N64 controller would to be make one that uses SD cards as memory cards and just emulate the memory card. Would be cool and maybe it could be used for save back ups as well. From my experience with memory paks back in the day is that they always failed and save data was lost. Of course both of mine are third party. Maybe the official one was better.