IGNORED

Lotharek's SIO Splitter (a.k.a USB hub)

ACML

I love it when I discover something new on the 8-bit.  For some time I've understood that Atari's SIO is the father of USB, but when I bought one of Lotharek's SIO Splitters, it really hit home just how true that is.  Joe Decuir is one of the patent holders of USB and he credits his SIO as the reference.  Atari had USB in 1979.  Lotherak's SIO splitter is essentially a USB hub for all intents and purposes.   I can plug in a 410, SIO2SD, printer interface and still have room for one more dead end device.  You just plug into the computer's SIO port and SIO splitter and you now have a hub for four more SIO devices.  Really nice.  Why Atari never made one BITD as it requires very little electronics.  Lotherek's SIO Splitter is well made and works great.  

Image result for atari sio splitterimage.jpeg.37cf572f406e643ef3bac8388360674b.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ACML said:

I love it when I discover something new on the 8-bit.  For some time I've understood that Atari's SIO is the father of USB, but when I bought one of Lotharek's SIO Splitters, it really hit home just how true that is.  Joe Decuir is one of the patent holders of USB and he credits his SIO as the reference.  Atari had USB in 1979.  Lotherak's SIO splitter is essentially a USB hub for all intents and purposes.   I can plug in a 410, SIO2SD, printer interface and still have room for one more dead end device.  You just plug into the computer's SIO port and SIO splitter and you now have a hub for four more SIO devices.  Really nice.  Why Atari never made one BITD as it requires very little electronics.  Lotherek's SIO Splitter is well made and works great.  

Image result for atari sio splitterimage.jpeg.37cf572f406e643ef3bac8388360674b.jpeg

What is that cartridge in the 3rd spot?

I've been using the APElink SIO "hub" for about two decades and love it. I even had it set-up at one point with a switch to use two computers with the same peripherals. But at some point I reverted it back to normal, after I had collected enough peripherals for all my Atari's. 

Of course Atarimax also sells an ABBUC-produced USB cartridge for full USB 1.1 compatibility. Quite a few drivers for different USB devices have already been made, available through the Atarimax forums. The only reason I don't already own one is I can't use it with my Super SDX cart and MyIDE II cart. We need something similar that still uses the SIO or at least has a pass-thru port: https://www.atarimax.com/usbcart/documentation/

Edited by Gunstar

An earlier iteration of the SIO splitter would be the apelink http://best-electronics-ca.com/8-bit_.htm#SIO2

Wow, this was 36.95 $ in 2015.... (Looking at Best’s prices and sold out tags always makes me regret I didn’t order two each of everything in the catalog when I first got it. I think I wasn’t even married then...)

Lotharek‘s splitter really is a great deal!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, slx said:

Wow, this was 36.95 $ in 2015.... (Looking at Best’s prices and sold out tags always makes me regret I didn’t order two each of everything in the catalog when I first got it. I think I wasn’t even married then...)

Lotharek‘s splitter really is a great deal!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I'm glad I bought at least one, back when it was still the original catalog price of $21 for the whole kit. If I need another, it looks like I'll definitely be getting it through Lotharek, especially since I don't deal with Best E. anymore.

Curious -- could two of Lotharek's SIO Splitters be daisy-chained?  Only one would be powered, of course. (I currently have 6 SIO devices to connect.)  And BTW, BEST Electronics used to sell a 1-ft. SIO cable that helped greatly with "cord clutter."

-Larry

45 minutes ago, JR> said:

Why does the Lotharek SIO splitter need power? 

It doesn't require power to operate but there is an optional 5V input for when you need it.  For example when I try running both my SIO2SD and SDrive-MAX off of SIO power, the SIO2SD display screen becomes very muted so the extra power connection is nice to have.  Also, having the splitter powered allows the attached devices to remain on even when the Atari itself is powered down.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SS said:

Also, having the splitter powered allows the attached devices to remain on even when the Atari itself is powered down.  

Wow, that is a nice bonus.  Being able to manually select the SIO2SD ATRs while machine is off is an option not available until now.  Thanks!

• Like 1