IGNORED

Lotharek's SIO Splitter (a.k.a USB hub)

ACML

On 10/9/2019 at 2:10 AM, ACML said:

So when I put a multimeter on this PSU, I get 5.37 VDC.  Is that to be expected when not plugged in to anything or should it be closer to 5.0 VDC?  Basically, is 5.37 VDC too much voltage?

914%2B7ImeJyL._SL1500_.jpg

I have a few of those types of PSU's, they are not modern switch mode, so unloaded output is usually a lot more than the

selected voltage, sometimes by many volts, try putting a resistor (of suitable resistance/wattage) across the terminals 

and measure again.

24 minutes ago, orpheuswaking said:

What I would really like is the ability to connect several a8 machines to a group of peripherals without worrying about power flowing back into the machines and causing issues. Maybe 3 slots for a8s and 5 slots for peripherals

I would like this too.  I have multiple A8s modified in different ways and it would be great to have a way to keep a number of machines connected at the same time so that I wouldn't have to keep swapping them out. 

Hello orpheuswaking

On 10/11/2019 at 4:49 PM, orpheuswaking said:

What I would really like is the ability to connect several a8 machines to a group of peripherals without worrying about power flowing back into the machines and causing issues. Maybe 3 slots for a8s and 5 slots for peripherals

Something like a combination of the Atari 2 computer interface and the SIO-Splitter.

Sincerely

Mathy

On 10/11/2019 at 10:15 AM, TGB1718 said:

I have a few of those types of PSU's, they are not modern switch mode, so unloaded output is usually a lot more than the

selected voltage, sometimes by many volts, try putting a resistor (of suitable resistance/wattage) across the terminals 

and measure again.

Well, I finally had a chance to test under load and it does not drop a bit.  Still showed 5.37 VDC.  One click down on the selector was 4.5 VDC and it hit it dead on.  Maybe this was a bad one or the 5VDC setting just isn't designed to be that accurate.  Sending back to Amazon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brenski said:

i have the deluxe - the switches are useful

Is your board populated with the 5 IC Chips?  I believe 4 of them are quad analog switches?  Most pictures I've seen of the deluxe model have them.  Mine just has the switches and several jumpers, no ICs.  I guess they figured out later on in production that they didn't need to switch out so many lines. The switches do work this way and appear to be exactly the same switches used on the chipped model, so I don't think it was a user mod.

On 10/4/2019 at 3:23 AM, JR> said:

There was also the Quintopus.  The deluxe model even had switchable ports.

http://www.realdos.net/SIO_Quintopus.html

i have the deluxe - the switches are useful

8 hours ago, JR> said:

Is your board populated with the 5 IC Chips?  I believe 4 of them are quad analog switches?  Most pictures I've seen of the deluxe model have them.  Mine just has the switches and several jumpers, no ICs.  I guess they figured out later on in production that they didn't need to switch out so many lines. The switches do work this way and appear to be exactly the same switches used on the chipped model, so I don't think it was a user mod.

yes. mine's the six-port 2-switch, 5-IC (CD4066BCN)

1988 Computer Software Services Inc

version

Edited by Guest

16 hours ago, ACML said:

Well, I finally had a chance to test under load and it does not drop a bit.  Still showed 5.37 VDC.  One click down on the selector was 4.5 VDC and it hit it dead on.  Maybe this was a bad one or the 5VDC setting just isn't designed to be that accurate.  Sending back to Amazon.

In my experience, those multi  output voltage PSU are not very good. Maybe you can reuse a phone changer, as long as you can find the correct barrel connector. I use an Ikea 2.1 or 3.1 amps USB changer with a homemade cable. If don;t want the DIY approach there should be a cheap 5VDC switching PSU  with barrel connector in amazon or ebay.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the dedicated 5VDC unit off Amazon for $6.99 or $11.99 for 2.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0719GY29M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

image.png.5fea7873ebe3bfe91c4e25f57b0fa68a.png

This one is a winner.  They are 5.27 VDC without load and dropped to 5.17 VDC with a SIO2SD connected.  They have a 5.5mm x 2.1 mm barrel which works fine even though Lotharek calls out a 5.0xx x 2.1mm.  It's nearly impossible to find 5.0mm barrels and 5.5mm is everywhere.

Edited by ACML
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ACML said:

I purchased the dedicated 5VDC unit off Amazon for $6.99 or $11.99 for 2.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0719GY29M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

image.png.5fea7873ebe3bfe91c4e25f57b0fa68a.png

This one is a winner.  They are 5.27 VDC without load and dropped to 5.17 VDC with a SIO2SD connected.  They have a 5.5mm x 2.1 mm barrel which works fine even though Lotharek calls out a 5.0xx x 2.1mm.  It's nearly impossible to find 5.0mm barrels and 5.5mm is everywhere.

Interesting! (And thanks for going the extra mile and post this)...

Could you please, check noise-ingress?

Please, get to Basic, clear screen (no text except Ready prompt) and Poke 710,2. Then connect this power-supply to SIO-splitter, and watch closely screen. After 5 secs., disconnect again, and watch screen closely again. Repeat all over with Poke 710,4 (BOTH must be tested).

Any signs of ingress noise will be immediately visible there. Screens should appear completely clean, and out of any "structured" / flashing banding, or noise-speckles.

I am asking because I just got my back-up Incognito, together with an SIO splitter, both from LRK.

30 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

Interesting! (And thanks for going the extra mile and post this)...

Could you please, check noise-ingress?

Please, get to Basic, clear screen (no text except Ready prompt) and Poke 710,2. Then connect this power-supply to SIO-splitter, and watch closely screen. After 5 secs., disconnect again, and watch screen closely again. Repeat all over with Poke 710,4 (BOTH must be tested).

Any signs of ingress noise will be immediately visible there. Screens should appear completely clean, and out of any "structured" / flashing banding, or noise-speckles.

I am asking because I just got my back-up Incognito, together with an SIO splitter, both from LRK.

I'll have to check later, but I did notice that when the splitter is powered by the external 5 VDC adapter, the 5 VDC pin on the SIO to computer is isolated from the other four SIO powered pins (6 or 10, I forget which is 5 VDC and which is ground).  Which I think is good.  That way the external 5 VDC has no path back to the computer through the SIO.