IGNORED

Lotharek's SIO Splitter (a.k.a USB hub)

ACML

8 minutes ago, ACML said:

I'll have to check later, but I did notice that when the splitter is powered by the external 5 VDC adapter, the 5 VDC pin on the SIO to computer is isolated from the other four SIO powered pins (6 or 10, I forget which is 5 VDC and which is ground).  Which I think is good.  That way the external 5 VDC has no path back to the computer through the SIO.

Very GOOD sign, indeed.

But please, check, because ingress-noise will find its way back one way or another, especially if several devices present on SIO chain...

...being SIO2USB+RespeQT probably the WORST offender on this planet... You will see this when running from a Laptop... Connect the Laptop's power supply and then disconnect it (running only from its battery).... Watch the helluva-of-noise coming straight from USB port into your Atari-hosted SIO port, when running the Laptop's external A/C PS... awful !!!

Edited by Faicuai

• 4 months later...

Hello there - I was wondering if anyone can help here.  I recently obtained Lotharek's SIO splitter so that I could add my XM301 modem using SIO2PC / ASPeQT.  Unfortunately, there seems to be a conflict with the SIO2PC and the XM301.  When I add the XM301 to the chain (either to the splitter itself or attached to another device in the chain), the SIO2PC stops reading/writing.  When I unplug the XM301, everything works fine.    Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to get both of these working together?

Thank you

5 hours ago, dogemaster2000 said:

Hello there - I was wondering if anyone can help here.  I recently obtained Lotharek's SIO splitter so that I could add my XM301 modem using SIO2PC / ASPeQT.  Unfortunately, there seems to be a conflict with the SIO2PC and the XM301.  When I add the XM301 to the chain (either to the splitter itself or attached to another device in the chain), the SIO2PC stops reading/writing.  When I unplug the XM301, everything works fine.    Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to get both of these working together?

Thank you

Are you running separate power to the splitter? That's the only thing I could think of causing issues. 

I have my xm301 always connected to the SIO chain and I use sio2pc (DIY) quite often  with RespeQt. I can try again tonight, by loading XE term.

I think it might be something wrong with the modem, or the sio2pc is not ready to share the SIO bus (it does not have the diode or an open collector output).  

Have you tried to use the sio2pc with other devices beside the xm301?

thanks for the suggestion.  I tested the modem by connecting it to a 1050 and it works fine.  In terms of the splitter, I've  connected other devices ( 1050s, 1025, 1010 etc) and they work fine.  It just seems to be when I try to use the sio2pc when the modem is connected ( either on the splitter) or chained to another device.  Q: are you using separate power to the splitter when you connect your xm301 and sio2pc to the splitter?  Maybe it's my power source.

cheers

• 1 month later...

why are we using AspeQT? it's proven to be a headache... Try RespeQT instead... if there is a control line conflict you can rewire your sio2pc cable and select the appropriate line under options in RespeQT... it's possible it's also snagging something else in emulation that it shouldn't be....

• Like 1

I had a similar issue with the Micro SIO2SD/PC combo and Lotharek's SIO splitter.  The micro SIO2SD/PC works fine by itself, but when added to the SIO splitter, it loses its mind.  I have tried both with SIO power and using a 5VDC power supply plugged into the SIO splitter, but is does not make a difference.  I can use a Lotharek SIO2SD plugged into the splitter without problem.  Just something about the Micro SIO2SD/PC that doesn't play well with the SIO splitter.  A shame since the SIO2SD is a dead end device on the SIO chain so it really needs to be compatible with a SIO splitter if your printer interface is also a SIO dead end device.  My solution was to sell the SIO2SD/PC and replace it with Lotharek's SIO2SD.

On 10/3/2019 at 6:38 PM, ACML said:

Why Atari never made one BITD as it requires very little electronics.  Lotherek's SIO Splitter is well made and works great.

It would probably have cost more than $20 BITD, and it would be one more thing Atari users would need to buy.   I suppose that's why they went the daisy-chain route instead