IGNORED

Super Mario Bros. 2 (J)

27 minutes ago, Austin said:

Not to mention it was improved over the game it's based on. It's hard to go back to Doki Doki after you've played SMB2 USA.

I agree with your other post too. SMB2J did little to move the series forward.

I think you are confusing things here.

Doki Doki Panic was its own game, eventually reworked and re-released in North America as Super Mario Bros. 2 in 1988.

The actual Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 was released for the Famicom Disk System in 1986. This is the one people refer to as being "too difficult", and the one that didn't see release in North America until it was reworked for the Super Mario All-Stars collection on the SNES.

Ah, still wanted to see the original game... I'll try to find that rom too... Super Mario 2 Japan...

• Like 1

According to like a decade old IGN (I think it was them) interview with Miyamoto, what became both doki doki panic and super mario bros 2 was started as a prototype development of a mario game wanting scrolling both ways and other features.  It was only then converted to ddp when that company came to them wanting a mascot title and that is the road it went down with that unique look and music to it.  Having seen how little SMB2j did on FDS for the series other than being nasty hard compared, they left it in the dirt and reskinned/upgraded ddp back to a mario game we got as smb2 and smb usa in japan.  He said it was his favorite mario game too in that interview which I found surprising.  I kind of get tired of people dumping on smb2 because in the day people just liked it, when americans learned it was a lie and that other one popped up from the fds people started to hipster sheeple turn on the thing as some poor game to not like and it's tiring.  They're both good for what they are unique titles in their own respect, just one is like a 'hard mode' game and the other moved a huge needle that had influenced the franchise since in many ways from gameplay mechanics and more.

In my younger, more skilled days, I played through the entirety of SMB2J. The "too difficult" moniker is correct. It's not a challenging kind of fun, it's a poor design and frustration kind of difficult. As others have said, it feels like a romhack.

SMB2 USA was a superior game and a superior sequel.

Edited by deepthaw
  • Like 1