IGNORED

Broken Suzy?

karri

I tried to fix a Lynx II unit for PRGE. The idea was to re-cap it and install a BV screen. The Lynx was broken to start with and had weird sprites. But after I worked on it for a while I found out that there is no sound and the sprites are corrupted.

IMG_20191004_204520.jpg.e250d6aeed221336ff144505b3dd04e4.jpg

Any educated guesses? The games appear to "work". You can choose the level and it reacts to buttons. But there is no sound and scrambled sprites.

The Lynx has had leaking batteries that eroded part of the solderings. So I re-soldered some places and changed some caps. By looking at this garbled picture I may have to replace Suzy. Is this diagnose ok? The game is Zaku.

The CPU and RAM appear to work ok. Same with the cart.

As the graphics is drawn in the correct place in the correct scale I know that the address and data lines are ok.

The text INSERT GAME is missing large pixel chunks here and there. My guess is that Suzy has taken too much voltage and part of the chip is broken.

In California Games I inserted the cart many times before I understood that the label should be against the Lynx. I just hate these flat carts that fit in both directions...

Once I got it the right way inserted the blue wave looked almost ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Super! I have a few more Lynx I units that could donate a Suzy. But first I try the Lynx II.

Actually I was able to create two working units for PRGE so I will postpone this fixing till after Silly Ventures. The version I bring with me is not re-capped Ben Venn modded unit. So I hope the caps don't dry up during the show.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few that have been kacked due zener diode failures.    I was debating which one tow fix originally I took some chips off for the intent of pursing a lynx FPGA project, but I may just wait to so how the Analogue pocket implentation is but I seems like it's very early days on that core.