IGNORED

Where's the love for the Odyssey 2?

Omega-TI

I have a fairly pristine O2 in the closet, but it does not get used because I only have three cartridges for it.  If I could find a free source of all the games to put on an SD card based multicart, I'd probably hook it up for a while.  I'm really impressed with the quality of the RF signal to the TV, sadly my 5200 does not compare in that aspect.  

The main thing I don't like about the O2's games, other than how minimalistic the games are, is the one life and game over aspect.  I may hook it up in a week or two to record some game play, but all I have are UFO!, Alien Invaders-PLUS! and K.C. MUNCHKIN.  Now that AMOK! game looks pretty cool, but I'm afraid that without an affordably priced multicart I may never give it the attention it deserves. 

• Like 1

I *think* the C7062 will have additional games, but I’m not sure what games, or even if that’s correct. You’d have to check with them to be certain. I can tell you that the C7601 is excellent, and if the C7062 is a step up from that, I’ll buy it too. 

19 hours ago, cjherr said:

I *think* the C7062 will have additional games, but I’m not sure what games, or even if that’s correct. You’d have to check with them to be certain. I can tell you that the C7601 is excellent, and if the C7062 is a step up from that, I’ll buy it too. 

I think I'll wait to see what the C7062 has to offer.  It looks like I'd have to wait in a que for the C7061 anyway.

The videopac is probably a device most intended for children. My youngest, 3 learnt how to type thanks to the console in less than two days, and enjoys playing the math and keyboard based games.

A friend came over with his teenage girls, and hilariously they spent hours playing some of the games, like the racing one. There is something in the simplicity of it all.

Similar to you, its a console probably best used occasionally, before I would have it out whenever I bought a new game for it, but now I have a "complete" collection this doesn't apply.

I think I'm on the list for a C7061, The odyssey2/videopac multicarts is some of the cheapest devices you'll find for any system, I believe some retailed at something like $30-50 at some point.

I liked Odysseyin the "you never forget your first" kind of way. Make sure you play "Pick Axe Pete!" because it rocks. 

When I'm feeling stressed, I fire up this online version. Runs like how I remember it, and controls fine with just the keyboard. (my computer keyboard, of course, not the Odyssey membrane)

https://archive.org/details/Pickaxe_Pete_1982_Philips_EU_US

• Like 3

I just got an O2 again after having first owned one a few years back. I do appreciate the simplicity of its games, I find it fun to play a few of them at night as a way of winding down. I got an AV modded unit with a cool LED light so those elements also make it more fun for me. And I've started getting in on the homebrew action, I just ordered Dungeon of Eternity and Happy Bird so I'm looking forward to seeing what homebrewers are doing with the system these days. Overall I like the O2 and it's hooked up currently since I got it not that long ago and it still has that new wow factor. :)

• Like 2