IGNORED

Gaming Guilty Pleasures

bluejay

What are your gaming guilty pleasures? This can be anything from regularly playing E.T. or Swordquest on you 2600 to drinking TaB mixed with Sprite while eating chocolate chip cookies while playing your games. Mine would probably be spending hours trying to "beat" Dragonfire on my 2600, not making any progress, or trying to figure out a way to play Sneak 'n' Peek by myself, while eating popcorn.

I have a few these.  I hesitate to call them "guilty pleasures" because I legitimately enjoy these games, but I know they have a poor reputation...

Two Worlds (PC)

The dialog is really corny, but I get a huge kick out of it.  It's a fun open world RPG with plenty of exploration.  At the time it reviewed poorly because it was compared with Oblivion, but it doesn't have to be one or the other.

Illbleed (Dreamcast)

I've loved this game ever since I bought it on a whim when it was first released.  It's such a unique concept, and I like how each stage parodies a certain type of horror movie (killer toy, urban legend psycho killer, etc.).  Great soundtrack, too.

Blades of Vengeance (GEN)

I don't think this game is really hated, as much as it is not well known.  I think most people just assume it's some garbage Electronic Arts game from back in a time when most non-Japanese console games were horrible.  In reality, it's a fantastic platformer with excellent graphics and a wonderful soundtrack (very rare among EA Genesis/MD games).

Laser Blast (2600)

This game seems to be hated for how shallow and simple it is, and it honestly deserves the hate.  However, this is the first video games I ever "figured out" on my own as a really young kid, so it holds a lot of nostalgia for me.  Even now, I'll put it on for 15 minutes or so every once in a while and get into the zone.  It's not a game you play to challenge yourself, it's almost like putting on a relaxing album and zoning out.

Edited by newtmonkey
added info

On 10/6/2019 at 12:55 AM, newtmonkey said:

I have a few these.  I hesitate to call them "guilty pleasures" because I legitimately enjoy these games, but I know they have a poor reputation...

Two Worlds (PC)

The dialog is really corny, but I get a huge kick out of it.  It's a fun open world RPG with plenty of exploration.  At the time it reviewed poorly because it was compared with Oblivion, but it doesn't have to be one or the other.

Illbleed (Dreamcast)

I've loved this game ever since I bought it on a whim when it was first released.  It's such a unique concept, and I like how each stage parodies a certain type of horror movie (killer toy, urban legend psycho killer, etc.).  Great soundtrack, too.

There's nothing wrong with playing Illbleed.  It's a pretty good game in my opinion.  Sure the counts are a bit stiff but it is a fresh and nice idea.  It's a shame a sequel was never made that improved upon its short comings. 

• Like 1

I play COH quick matches on CPU levels that are so easy, the game basically beats itself. I don't play it to play an RTS (I don't really like RTS, I have 200+ hours in COH tho), I play it to play toy soldiers in the yard, so to speak.

The first time I went to "normal" difficulty...let's just say the war had a different ending.

NARC and Bad Street Brawler on the NES.

NARC isn't very good, but it's like playing a cheesy 80s action movie.

I actually think that BSB is a lot of fun. It's also quite challenging to beat due to the cheapness of some of the enemy combinations.

I don't know if this is a guilty pleasure...but a lot of times I can't deal with the stress of playing a video game that kicks my ass so I'll do the Test Track on Pole Position (7800) or the easiest skill level / slowest speed on Dr. Mario (NES). For that reason I wish Tetris on the NES would never speed up so I can just keep playing for hours on a single game.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 11:55 AM, newtmonkey said:

Laser Blast (2600)

This game seems to be hated for how shallow and simple it is, and it honestly deserves the hate.  However, this is the first video games I ever "figured out" on my own as a really young kid, so it holds a lot of nostalgia for me.  Even now, I'll put it on for 15 minutes or so every once in a while and get into the zone.  It's not a game you play to challenge yourself, it's almost like putting on a relaxing album and zoning out.

Agree 100% on this one. There is something to be said for dead-simple games that you can progress in and gain skill... Kaboom! is another like this to me.

H.E.R.O. is not as simple, but I keep going back to it... A little futher each time.

A friend of mine said when he got his 2600, he had nobody to play Combat with, so he would hold/press the other controller with his foot to have an opponent. How sad... :)

Edited by R.Cade
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, derFunkenstein said:

I got those Burger King games for the original Xbox back in the day, and the go cart racing one was actually kind of fun. Also on the Xbox, I've sunk way too many hours into DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball. 

I think there's a tiny bit of fun to be had in all three of the BK games. 

2 minutes ago, dj_convoy said:

Well, music IS the weapon, after all. 

Is that the game that has the awful Steven Tyler sampled voices in it? A friend of mine used to make fun of this that it constantly said "more coins!" because it was a really terrible quarter-sucker.

"MORE COINS!"

Edited by R.Cade

Just now, R.Cade said:

Is that the game that has the awful Steven Tyler sampled voices in it? A friend of mine used to make fun of this that it constantly said "more coins!" because it was a really terrible quarter-sucker.

'tis indeed. A video tape of a kidnapped Aerosmith somehow throws you a set of keys to, I dunno, the Aerosmith-mobile, I guess, and you're off to strike a blow against the New World Order (not the wrestling NWO) who have robbed music from the land. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, VectorGamer said:

I don't know if this is a guilty pleasure...but a lot of times I can't deal with the stress of playing a video game that kicks my ass so I'll do the Test Track on Pole Position (7800) or the easiest skill level / slowest speed on Dr. Mario (NES). For that reason I wish Tetris on the NES would never speed up so I can just keep playing for hours on a single game.

2600 Asteroids on default difficulty is like that.  Could play that indefinitely...

Edited by Eltigro

1 hour ago, VectorGamer said:

I agree. Tetris would be the perfect "zone out" game if it never sped up. 

2600 Tutankham. It's not the best version of the game, but the manual that described all the treasures makes it a lot more fun for some reason.

I also tend to like the Apple II versions of most games, even though they're usually inferior to many other versions because those are the ones I grew up playing.

• Like 1

Type-in games for the A8 are my guilty pleasure, as I always feel like I should be playing a commercial game instead. "Popcorn" has always been great fun, but I really like "Basic Burger", "Livewire", "Fire Bug", and "Omniventure", too. I haven't played it in years, but "Advent X-5" was a nice little text adventure, too.

On 10/8/2019 at 12:23 PM, R.Cade said:

A friend of mine said when he got his 2600, he had nobody to play Combat with, so he would hold/press the other controller with his foot to have an opponent. How sad... :)

Maybe he could be the Guinness world record holder for being the best Combat player using only his feet?

On 10/8/2019 at 3:29 PM, dj_convoy said:

'tis indeed. A video tape of a kidnapped Aerosmith somehow throws you a set of keys to, I dunno, the Aerosmith-mobile, I guess, and you're off to strike a blow against the New World Order (not the wrestling NWO) who have robbed music from the land. 

New Order Nation's logo (looked like NOИ) was probably a blatant reference to Nine Inch Nails (logo looked like NIИ).

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 2:59 AM, The Usotsuki said:

New Order Nation's logo (looked like NOИ) was probably a blatant reference to Nine Inch Nails (logo looked like NIИ).

Aerosmith was as guilty as anyone of robbing the land of good music, especially by the late 80's.

Once your songwriting is done by Desmond Child, well... You make money but it's trash.

"More coins!"

Edited by R.Cade