IGNORED

800xl keyboard socket

damanloox

Does anybody know if keyboard sockets/connectors (on the motherboard) can be purchased (or replaced with something that can be purchased)?

I've a nice 800XL that I'd love to recover to it's full glory and that's one last thing I'm missing...

On 10/5/2019 at 9:49 AM, damanloox said:

Does anybody know if keyboard sockets/connectors (on the motherboard) can be purchased (or replaced with something that can be purchased)?

I've a nice 800XL that I'd love to recover to it's full glory and that's one last thing I'm missing...

I'd like one too.  This thing seems hard to find.

Best,

Jeff

4 minutes ago, manterola said:

I got a new one from Best few months ago...

I just desoldered the one I needed to replace.  One of the pins was broken inside the socket.  I took an Atari SIO pin, cut it down, bent it, and replaced the pin.  The connector works right well now.  This can be done.  You have to remove the socket from the board, and then, from the bottom of the socket, push on the pin with a set of pliers, holding the pin tightly so it doesn't fold.  The pin will slide out of the socket.  You can then re-form the pin and re-insert it, or form a new pin from some flat metal and insert that, as with the one I had that was broken.  I re-formed some three pins in the same area that were bent flat from abuse (probably my abuse ? ).

Now I gotta figure out how to get the keyboard led to work.  That's another thing.  The little metal tangs that connect the led legs to the membrane are gone.

Best,

Jeff

Edited by Technoid Mutant