IGNORED

Starting/wanting to collect for Sega stuff

guitarmas

Hey Guys. I'm trying to get back into Sega collecting. I know there's the Genesis, Master System, Saturn, and Dreamcast. I've started with a few Genesis items. I just don't know where to go from here. I'd like to stay in the Sega realm. I would really like to collect for the Saturn, but collecting for that system is just extremely expensive. I'm liking the Genesis so far. I've got a CIB 32x and a CIB Sega CD model 2. I'd like to get a CIB Sega Genesis 2. I'd really like t a JVC x'eye. 

Suggestions? Ideas? Comments?

Edited by guitarmas

You said you are getting back into collecting, what kind of collection did you have before? What were the reasons you stopped? Those kinds of things can provide you some focus, and focus is important to guiding your collection forward.  Was there something specific your old collection was or wasn't doing for you? 

Are playing games as important to you as collecting them?  I went the original console for me and bought an Everdrive so I can play just about everything.  I have a few games for my Genesis but nothing much as the prices started getting goofy years ago.  A working CD unit is great to expand the library, and you have a 32X which I think is great...although opinions differ greatly.

That CIB Model 2 sounds like a plan.  Maybe a few six button controllers, or the arcade sticks. A four player multitap if you're into sports games.  Retrobit has amazingly reproduced the original six button controllers and not only are they reasonably priced but the quality and feel are really awesome. They've replaced my originals.

My personal tip is keep your collection focused so you don't start hoarding things you don't really want and take a loss down the road. Aim to have more fun with it this time around and you should be set.

Thanks for the comments and advice. I just decided that I need a pastime of some sort. I used to collect for just about everything. I sold everything just to raise money for someone that I thought I was going to be with forever. But with all that being said, I'm starting new and fresh.

I figured that the Sega scene was a good place to collect for. I remember it growing up and having games for it.

• Like 1

I would suggest getting a Genesis model 1 and the power base converter, or a Genesis model 2 and a power base mini. Then you can explore Genesis and Master system titles alike. The Master System is a very fun and unique experience and the games are for the most part excellent.

I started "re-collecting" myself somewhat recently and I too started with Sega consoles and that ended up branching out to various other consoles. But in my case I just purchased everdrives (or equivalent) for each console. I have two kids and make ends meet, so the cost of just the consoles (and cables to hook them up) and an everdrive for each is about all I can muster. It does the job for me as I am not so much of a game cart collector nowadays (nor can I afford to be) and just want to enjoy the games on real hardware.

• Like 1

I primarily collect shoot em up games and those tend to be expensive on any platform. And it's even happening with other game genres... the retro games people want are just going to keep increasing in price. I've saved a lot of money importing games. I've imported a PC Engine as it was much cheaper than the TG-16.

Thanks for all the replies.

I would really like to collect for the Sega Saturn. The Master System is okay I guess. I would probably just get a Sega Master System for collection purposes only. I might play the system from time to time. So I will probably in the market for a decent one that is reasonably priced.

Yeah I've been eyeballing one of those myself. I've already bought new N64 and Dreamcast controllers. Man, you don't realize how much your pads wear out over all these years. They work, but once you play with a brand new one after 20 years, it's night and day. It's great that some of these companies out there are offering brand new stuff like that.

Genesis can still be kind of fun to collect for if you like hunting in the wild for it. Those hard shell clam cases have proven their worth over time. I still see quite a bit of CIB Genny games at various local places, reasonably priced. There's not really a chance of finding rares at dirt cheap prices though, as those days are gone. Game sellers are too up to date with ebay and what's rare and/or desirable to let some stuff through the cracks. 

Star Wars, Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing are great games. Those prices aren't bad. The other games aren't real great games. Don't anyone give me grief about DOOM 32x, that is not a good version. ($20 CIB seems fair though)

Just my opinion of course. I still like to hook up the 32x once in awhile and play Afterburner and Space Harrier. And Star Wars.

On 10/7/2019 at 1:42 AM, guitarmas said:

I sold everything just to raise money for someone that I thought I was going to be with forever.

I am sorry for your loss and I hope you are okay now. Sadly it's too easy to get convinced by a SO that we don't need "that kiddie stuff' for them to buy whatever crap they want instead.

Personally I would go only for stuff that you have memories for and would actually like to display on a shelf. I'd also explore FPGA alternatives to systems since it would allow you to use regular HDMI displays without upscalers. 

• Like 1

I love Genesis and Master System collecting. You can still get a lot of good games at decent prices. Obviously, some of the high ticket Genesis stuff might be exorbitantly priced, but if you keep an eye out and be patient, or if you are willing to go cart only on stuff, you might not pay thru the nose. If you feel like making a one time investment, an Everdrive isn't a terrible idea... that way you can also play 99% of the Master System library in addition to 99% of the Genesis carts. 

Saturn is trickier... but as Austin pointed out, you can definitely get Japanese stand ins for some of the pricier stuff. There are plenty of decent Saturn titles for reasonable prices... it's when you get in to the RPG / SHUMP or just plain rare side of things where you start to take a bath on prices.

What kind of games do you dig? I'm between us all, we can come up with some can't miss titles for you to look for. 

13 hours ago, Newsdee said:

I am sorry for your loss and I hope you are okay now. Sadly it's too easy to get convinced by a SO that we don't need "that kiddie stuff' for them to buy whatever crap they want instead.

Thank you. I'm so glad that I'm out of it. Something kept telling me to back out. I'm glad I did. Unfortunately my collection took a major hit...like all of it. I've recovered for the most part but the collection is starting new again.

I think I'm going to stick with Sega for a while. I just want to stay in the 8-32bit range. No Dreamcast stuff yet. I'm kind of wanting the games to be complete. The system is okay, for the time being, without the box.

The Genesis controller is great. Very responsive. The only thing I noticed is that there's a really tight connection when you plug in the controller in the port. That's all.

I really want to buy those 32x games and kind of make a big instant collection. I really want to, but something is holding me back.

Good choice. I have some expensive ones and some 'budget' shmups.  (JP)Sonic Wings Special is fairly reasonable price wise, and there's quite a bit of content there. I think I acquired (JP) Parodius Da at a fair price, around $30. (JP) Sengoku Blade is another top Psikyo shmup that's obtainable, similarly priced as the others all around or $50 US (I'm not certain it's been awhile). Those are all good budget shmups though.

Heck, the US versions of Galactic Attack and Darius Gaiden are well worth the money too, you'll spend over $50 but under $100 each on those, but great games. I can't speak to the JP versions of those.

Also, I don't know what kind of controls you prefer, but I'm putting a word in for the official Saturn Virtua Stick. There are many options for arcade sticks for the Saturn, and this first-party stick is very well made. The Stunner light gun is another must have, there's some great light gun games available. 

2 hours ago, guitarmas said:

I'll get a action replay card of some sort and bag me some great import fighters and shmups.

...all with a budget in mind.

What kind of budget? Shoot 'em up games are some of the least "budget friendly" on the system, but if you don't mind dropping $50 here and there, there's quite the selection to pick from. I still see it as the best console for shooters, with lots of different sub-genres to pick from.

Unlike shmups, lots of fighting games can be had quite reasonably. Fighting Vipers, Virtua Fighter 1, 2 and Remix, Street Fighter Zero 1 and 2, Fighters Megamix, Last Bronx, Vampire Hunter (Nightwarriors/Darkstalkers 2), the list goes on. All of those are under $10, $15 or $20 depending on the region you go for.

I also highly recommend a lot of the non-fighting Sega arcade ports, all reasonably priced. Virtua Cop 1 and 2, Daytona USA, Sega Rally Championship, Virtual On, Dynamite Dekka (Die Hard Arcade), etc. The USA versions of Daytona, Virtua Fighter 2 and Virtua Cop in sleeve should be absolutely dirt cheap, as they were bundled together later in the system's life, so they are a dime a dozen. Definitely grab those.

Regarding the previous post, if you're into this sort of thing then I too can recommend the Virtua Stick. It's accurate and is comfortable to use. The Hori Fighting Stick SS from Japan is better, but will also cost more (Virtua Sticks are dirt cheap, no one wants them).

The Action Replay is definitely recommended. It will allow you to play imports out of the box, but it also has the added RAM needed for games like X-Men Versus Street Fighter, and it allows you to back up your save files. There's nothing like the Saturn's battery dying and wiping out all of your data in the process. Great to have a backup option.

Assuming you haven't experienced it much before, I think you will be impressed by the Saturn. It's a great console, particularly if you like arcade-style games.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

Thanks for the thoughtful post. So much to think about. I don't mind dropping $50 here and there. I just can't do it all the time. I think the biggest ticket item right now is getting the system. I'm thinking about getting a Japanese Saturn. How would that work?

Edited by guitarmas

doesn't matter what region you get, if you buy an Action Replay 4M Plus you can play games from any region and have hte 4MB RAM cart for games that can use it

So get the region that looks coolest to you. I got a Japanese one because I like the white model 2 Saturn's looks the best. 

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1