IGNORED

New game released: Jet Set Willy 2019

Tezz

1 hour ago, Jacques said:

As for using 2 pokeys for both sound and music, it would be good to have keyboard option to freely enable/disable them, so you can have MSX+SFX, MSX, SFX or silence.

That was my original intention with regard to the toggling, S to toggle sound fx on/of, H to toggle music on/off so you can have the option of silence too. I was going to add shift and esc to quit back to titles but there didn't seem to be any point to add that in the end.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, McKong said:

Just playing and the game crashed both times I tried to exit the left hand side of the 'Dr. Jones room. 

I'm using the xex file on a stock PAL 800XL. Tried it in my Ultimate cart and SIO2SD, same result. Haven't tried the ATR file yet.

5 hours ago, Tezz said:

Thanks for the catch there, it appears to be during the prepared compression for the released executable. I was able to reproduce the freeze under Atari800Win+ although all is fine under Altirra and my 600XL with U1Mb. I'll look into the cause today.

ok, I'm back home now to take a look at it and yes it was during the compression, in the rush to prepare the executable for release I'd missed setting one single terminating byte ? Sorry about that, the fixed executable is attached.

jsw2019.xex

jsw2019.atr

Edited by Tezz
adding the ATR image
  • Like 6

Thanks for the update.

I played few rooms and the game looks and feels very good.

It might sound silly, however I would suggest the game displays its version at the title screen if there are more updates

The binary load files and disk images of various pre-releases and releases will spread wildly to various gaming archives and it is good if the game itself can tell what version it is. The game loads from tape nicely, showing a need for a "loading screen". However it is not that important as a NTSC friendly version that is probably expected with great impatience.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tezz said:

ok, I'm back home now to take a look at it and yes it was during the compression, in the rush to prepare the executable for release I'd missed setting one single terminating byte ? Sorry about that, the fixed executable is attached.

jsw2019.xex 32.22 kB · 13 downloads

jsw2019.atr 90.02 kB · 2 downloads

Great, I'm glad that what I found was useful. Thanks for the update

• Like 2

1 hour ago, baktra said:

Thanks for the update.

I played few rooms and the game looks and feels very good.

It might sound silly, however I would suggest the game displays its version at the title screen if there are more updates

The binary load files and disk images of various pre-releases and releases will spread wildly to various gaming archives and it is good if the game itself can tell what version it is. The game loads from tape nicely, showing a need for a "loading screen". However it is not that important as a NTSC friendly version that is probably expected with great impatience.

Thanks, there will only be this pre-release and the final NTSC/PAL release. I've asked Albert to replace the attachments in the first post so that no more will be downloaded. I'll prepare the NTSC changes shortly.

I can add a loading sequence/message/picture if you'd like, perhaps to the disk image. With almost everyone using modern high speed devices now they are done away with. I guess very few people care for standard cassette and disk loading anymore.

Edited by Tezz

Having always use mass storage before during and after Atari, I can Attest that loading pictures, screens, and intros were and still are welcomed and enjoyed.. so long as you can press a key to skip and it times out on it's own. Some days you want to see the intro other days you just wanna play... :)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Having always use mass storage before during and after Atari, I can Attest that loading pictures, screens, and intros were and still are welcomed and enjoyed.. so long as you can press a key to skip and it times out on it's own. Some days you want to see the intro other days you just wanna play... :)

I also personally enjoy loading pictures and intros although I have the impression that the general consensus today is simply to load the game/demo/application as swiftly as possible.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tezz said:

I've asked Albert to replace the attachments in the first post so that no more will be downloaded.

I guess Albert has been busy and has not yet seen the message. Could any other admins PM me please :)

Tezz.

2 hours ago, Tezz said:

I also personally enjoy loading pictures and intros although I have the impression that the general consensus today is simply to load the game/demo/application as swiftly as possible.

Doesn't have to be a pictue or intro, just two text lines. Name of the game and copyright/author. No delay, not so many bytes wasted.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, baktra said:

Doesn't have to be a pictue or intro, just two text lines. Name of the game and copyright/author. No delay, not so many bytes wasted.

Indeed, I was originally going to include the same simple flashing loading text message from the Spectrum. I can add that for the sake of the users with regular speed devices.

• Like 1

Hi.

Yes, most of these sort of hi-res games with square gfxs like this one, Manic Miner and Saboteur can be coloured using PMGs so another one that seems possible is and would be aslo a god adition is Monty on the Run.

From the very early games I saw in a computer here was at a friends house in his Timex2068 emulating ZX48K Everyone's A Wally. I was jealous with those nice gfxs (even without hardware coloured sprites on A8 like the C64 has):

everyones_a_wally_02.png.5cd279ac4cfc72c01b7e21eacf7ffc0c.png everyones_a_wally_03.png.4c48056995f2f38f15dc2f8f5f2469c2.png

What could we do when the gfxs are rounded?

The player's characters could be a square erasing PMGs pixels of the gfxs or have it/them a square in chars boundaries like was cleverly done on the ZX's version:

The CPC version to have more colours is using ours 2:1 ratio and ssoft sprites but they can have 16colours on screen using this mode so I don't seem it'll be colourfull screen per screen:

extra_lire_fichier.png.4e6056b3a4cd0818d17377d506b49c08.png 1330527688_extra_lire_fichier(1).png.e0830f58bd558e5c46ada4d638507b66.png

:?

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, baktra said:

Yep, indeed. Two lines of text in Gr. 1/17 or Gr. 2/18 and the rest of the screen is switched off, until loading is done. The depacking could then visually take place in these two text lines and NOT on the whole screen and when done, the screen is switched on again...

Here is an example... (the Gr.2/18 text lines use page 6, the demo depacks in this text line with Superpacker/Exomizer and its decrunch effect code set to STA $D016)

PBdreams_demo.XEX

• Like 1

Not wanting to polute this topic but is just a first idea is Antic4 (seems possible each screen a single charset for playing area and 1 for the status area per all screens). DLIs colours if PFs per each screen then 4guys per line not yet done but could be 4per line using BAK/PF0/PF1/PF2 or PF3 then using Priority_1 would each gets also orings so similar to CPC with any colour on them seems possible:

2114074934_extra_lire_fichier_onlyplayingareascreen_1.png.83d264b0aa618727267cf0f51b734ad5.png 

This one already have 16colours ?...

?

3 hours ago, José Pereira said:

...another one that seems possible is and would be aslo a god adition is Monty on the Run.

Nice to see you back José, apparently somebody has already prepared Monty on the Run (albeit the C16/Plus 4 version) for this years Silly Venture.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, José Pereira said:

Hi.

Yes, most of these sort of hi-res games with square gfxs like this one, Manic Miner and Saboteur can be coloured using PMGs so another one that seems possible is and would be aslo a god adition is Monty on the Run.

Quoting from aol :  " new game for ATARI XL / XE in the cassette version: "Monty On The Run" moved from C16 (available ONLY with VIP ticket - the game will not be sold after the party!)  "

Don't remember anyone talking about getting the game... I think the idea was to raise some money right away and putting the tapes right in the hands of VIP attendees and release something later... did either happen?

Edited by _The Doctor__

10 hours ago, Albert said:

You can now edit the first post of this thread indefinitely.

..Al

Thanks Al

I've now replaced the original attachments with the corrected ones from post #52. Please re-download if you haven't already :)

14 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

Only ever played the C64 version.

Didn't they fit the C16 version into 12K or something? 

Any ideas what was removed?

Iirc there were less rooms, less puzzles to solve and Monty does not somersault when jumping.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Don't remember anyone talking about getting the game... I think the idea was to raise some money right away and putting the tapes right in the hands of VIP attendees and release something later... did either happen?

It was the first I'd heard too when it was mentioned at AOL. Silly Venture 2019 takes place in a couple of months so I don't think anyone has them yet.