IGNORED

New game released: Jet Set Willy 2019

Tezz

I had assumed that the item on the far left on 'Conservatory Roof' is impossible to get without losing a life. So I'm guessing that's the 'life lost' you're referring to. 

The one second from the left seems nearly impossible to get without losing a life, but I managed it a couple of times so I know it's not

9 hours ago, McKong said:

I had assumed that the item on the far left on 'Conservatory Roof' is impossible to get without losing a life. So I'm guessing that's the 'life lost' you're referring to.

Yes that's exactly right, the item on the far left of the "Conservatory Roof" is the only place in the game where you cannot avoid losing a life so the perfect walkthough is to collect all the 83 items whilst only losing one life :)

7 hours ago, baktra said:

Time to load the latest version of the game from tape is approximately 11 minutes ?

Wow, that's considerably longer than I'd imagined for an executable that's just under 33Kb even at the standard cassette baud rate.

Why have I only just seen this? I remember buying JSW from Boots for my Spectrum, having all sorts of problems with the copy protection cause red and magenta looked identical, and then spending weeks playing it, and now with this version I'm going to have to do that all over again aren't I! Incredible work, you obviously have the brain the size of a planet! ?

• Like 1

I finally completed this last night, I was down to my last life! I know I can do better than that, so I'll try to improve on that go at some point.

As far as I can see the game is now flawless, and very faithful to the original. What a great piece of work, thanks again for all that effort.

Watching a Youtube video of the C64 version, it's only marginally better than the original A8 version! You've only got to watch a few seconds to see just how good 'our' new version is in comparison!

• Like 2

On 11/22/2019 at 2:30 AM, RAM said:

Why have I only just seen this? I remember buying JSW from Boots for my Spectrum, having all sorts of problems with the copy protection cause red and magenta looked identical, and then spending weeks playing it, and now with this version I'm going to have to do that all over again aren't I! Incredible work, you obviously have the brain the size of a planet! ?

thanks, I miss those days when Boots would have all the computers setup in store.

3 hours ago, McKong said:

I finally completed this last night, I was down to my last life! I know I can do better than that, so I'll try to improve on that go at some point.

As far as I can see the game is now flawless, and very faithful to the original. What a great piece of work, thanks again for all that effort.

Watching a Youtube video of the C64 version, it's only marginally better than the original A8 version! You've only got to watch a few seconds to see just how good 'our' new version is in comparison!

That's brilliant, well done! I'll look out for your walkthrough video appearing soon :) Incidentally I'd recommend making use of the upscaling in the latest Altirra to maintain the 50/60Hhz when uploading to You Tube. I recorded the quick playthrough video that I posted at the release upscaled and uncompressed to leave the encoding to YT, the file was 67Gb and took 36 hours to upload though! I'll certainly be glad when we get direct fibre connections here (FTTH) to replace the fibre to the cabinet that we have currently.

I think Shahid did an amazing job to bring JSW to the C64 in such a short time. From what I can gather the software house told Shahid that if he delivered on the project in 4 weeks he would receive £3000 in payment and if he could do in 3 weeks £4000. He worked on the game solidily not eating properly and often staying awake for 3 days which is really not a good idea with type 1 Diabetes, this was all with no access to the original source. It's quite remarkable what he achieved in such a short development period. There's no doubt he would have been able to create a perfect conversion under better circumstances.

Edited by Tezz
typo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Dazb said:

Wow, JSW & MM is what every Atari 8bit owner wanted..  Any chance of a cheat mode being added ?? Please.....

2 hours ago, Dazb said:

Also any chance of and Atari 8 bit Elite ?

Thanks, MM has the original 6031769 cheat in place.

I'm currently resuming work on completing an existing project with others underway.

Somebody posted a complete walkthrough of the game last weekend on YouTube.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

CONGRATULATIONS to Jet Set Willy 2019 for being nominated in the 2019 Atari Homebrew Awards!

Be sure to vote for your favourite homebrew games of 2019 with the links below and watch the awards LIVE on February 1, 2020!

Awards Show: February 1, 2020 @ 12:00PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Channel!

Atari Homebrew Awards Categories (VOTE IN ALL!!):

640931612_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestHomebrewAtari8bit5200.jpg.f721efd9b47284a5d5ef29d09b354867.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...
On 10/6/2019 at 1:00 AM, CharlieChaplin said:

Jet Set Willy 1986: In my eyes this version is crap!  http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=2122

BTW did anybody finish that game? (it's also here: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-jet-set-willy_2664.html).
I collected only 73 items. It seems that there are missing some rooms when comparing with the version Jet Set Will 2007 or 2019 where 83 items are available.

Edited by mirao