IGNORED

What's on YOUR Want & Dream List for 2020?

Omega-TI

In 2020 I’m going to focus more on “the console” and hopefully put together “the last TI console I’ll ever own”.  So what do I want in this TI?

1) Without a doubt I gotta have an F18 MK2

(I gotta stay compatible with MODERN hardware).

2) A Jedimatt42 Keyboard Interface

(I so want to plug in a WIRELESS keyboard).

3) The new (still being worked on) replacement power board for inside the TI.

(Hopefully this will also give me a USB power port for the TI as well).

4) The Mean Well GP25A13A-R18 to use with #3 listed above.

(Having an all new power supply system should last me the rest of my life with no down time).

Used power supplies cost about the same anyway, so why go with old stuff that has a higher probability of failure when we can get all new stuff and maybe an extra feature too? 

If at sometime due to health issues I’m forced to downsize, having a modernized system that is updated and compact as possible is a plus. Yeah, I know, a P-Box is not exactly ‘compact’, but I’ve already eliminated most of the older tech that required the rats nest of cords.

I’m also interested in seeing what new gadgets or ideas other people come up with and create in 2020. I think it’ll be a great year again for the TI.

So, what’s on your dream & want list for 2020?

• Like 1

Tipi,SID99, RamDisk4000,MK2 would be a great start!!

Thanks for asking what I've been wanting to say for a while.

What may happen first? Hmmm

Looks like the RD4000 will be first to hit my box realistically as Jim is really doing well., Second I think Matt's gonna prevail in a feat that HE makes this thing look magic, the F18A-MKII. 

Then I think the SID99 and TiPi will happen. What an exciting group of

add-ons appearing soon.

For me, the F18 MK2 doesn't hold much appeal, since almost all my signal routing and processing, as well as my primary monitor, are all analogue.  So I'm riding my MK1 till the cows come home. 

But I do have a lot of interest in power system upgrades, to be sure.  With as ludicrously complicated a system setup as I have, elegant, space-economic power distribution solutions are something I value a lot.  So the fact that, as it stands, my TI-99, as it always has, still uses a massive, awkward OEM transformer, connected via a proprietary connector, kind of grates on me.  So replacing the PSU, and furnishing it with something better (like the Mean Well unit) along the way, sound great. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

For me, the F18 MK2 doesn't hold much appeal, since almost all my signal routing and processing, as well as my primary monitor, are all analogue.  So I'm riding my MK1 till the cows come home. 

But I do have a lot of interest in power system upgrades, to be sure.  With as ludicrously complicated a system setup as I have, elegant, space-economic power distribution solutions are something I value a lot.  So the fact that, as it stands, my TI-99, as it always has, still uses a massive, awkward OEM transformer, connected via a proprietary connector, kind of grates on me.  So replacing the PSU, and furnishing it with something better (like the Mean Well unit) along the way, sound great. 

That's a crazy setup you have there. But I guess that's what one needs to be able to do those great videos you make. I really enjoy them! Thank you for that ?

On 10/5/2019 at 10:52 PM, --- Ω --- said:

Used power supplies cost about the same anyway, so why go with old stuff that has a higher probability of failure when we can get all new stuff and maybe an extra feature too?

Do you mean with "Power Supply" the external black block? That is no Power Supply, its a Trafo. The only thing that can get busted inside it are the two anti-surge fuses (0,500 mA and 0,200 mA) which are very easy to replace. There is absolutely NO reason to replace the Trafo! The Power Supply of the TI-99/4A is inside the device on the PSU-Board.  If you will "fresh" your powersupply up, just look at my thread here:

TI-99/4A EU PAL 1981 V2 - New electrolytic capacitors

By replacing the electrolytic capacitors and by using a modern 12V DC/DC-Voltage Controller the Power Supply Unit of your TI-99/4A is "NEW" again. In my opinion the replacement of the complete PSU-Board is a far to big step, because it modifies the TI-99/4A to strong. If you replace the PSU-Board and in another step the Mainboard... its no original TI-99/4A anymore.

Look at the renovation of heritage-protected buildings. Some parts are getting replaced, but in a manner that you will always recognize the original.

Edited by Sid1968

3 hours ago, Sid1968 said:

Do you mean with "Power Supply" the external black block? That is no Power Supply, its a Trafo. The only thing that can get busted inside it are the two anti-surge fuses (0,500 mA and 0,200 mA) which are very easy to replace. There is absolutely NO reason to replace the Trafo! The Power Supply of the TI-99/4A is inside the device on the PSU-Board.  If you will "fresh" your powersupply up, just look at my thread here:

By replacing the electrolytic capacitors and by using a modern 12V DC/DC-Voltage Controller the Power Supply Unit of your TI-99/4A is "NEW" again. In my opinion the replacement of the complete PSU-Board is a far to big step, because it modifies the TI-99/4A to strong. If you replace the PSU-Board and in another step the Mainboard... its no original TI-99/4A anymore.

Look at the renovation of heritage-protected buildings. Some parts are getting replaced, but in a manner that you will always recognize the original.

In my case both.  I have one external transformer that I had to take out of service, because it buzzes like hell whenever you turn off the TI, which is very aggravating to say the least.  Now when it comes to that transformer, I don't know what's causing the buzzing, but I does not seem fixable to me.  I might also mention the TI's transformer does not share space well on a powerstrip, it's blood greedy, I literally have to use an extra powerstrip because of that.  If I switched to the Mean Well unit, I'd save a lot of space and have less clutter, which is a major issue for me right now.

When it comes to the internal power supply, I had to cannibalize one console to replace the failed power supply in my daily driver, upgrading my daily driver would make the parts unit whole again.  I also no longer have the will to mess around with replacing individual components, it been at least two years since I've picked up a soldering iron.  I now prefer plug-n-play.  It's amazing how age and other issues change us.

For me personally, I'm not the least bit interested in having a 100% stock unit as my daily driver.  As long as it looks "almost stock" at first glance, I'm happy.  I have to admit, part of the excitement for me HAS ALWAYS BEEN to see how 'suped up under the hood' we can get this baby.  I'll always run a stock engine, but a better fuel pump is welcome.  

In the end it sometimes comes down to the individual needs and wants based on personal preferences and sometimes changing living situations.

7 hours ago, Sid1968 said:

I have to correct myself:

The two anti-surge fuses in the Trafo-Model T40/E have 200 mA = 0,2 A and 500 mA = 0,5 A. ;-)

It's disk based for a reason I understand. (You load and unload assets/program data. FinalGROM puts a big chunk into memory and does simulated bank switching. Only so much you can fit with that.) Just advise them to get a nanoPEB or a TiPI. (shrug)

I want to get an F18A sometime this year. (If I can manage to find one that is. Nobody seems willing to part with one. Can't find one for sale anywhere.)

Edited by wierd_w
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, wierd_w said:

It's disk based for a reason I understand. (You load and unload assets/program data. FinalGROM puts a big chunk into memory and does simulated bank switching. Only so much you can fit with that.) Just advise them to get a nanoPEB or a TiPI. (shrug)

I want to get an F18A sometime this year. (If I can manage to find one that is. Nobody seems willing to part with one. Can't find one for sale anywhere.)

I can sell you one, drop me a PM.

• Thanks 1

NanoPEB does not have SAMS, so that won't be an option unfortunately. It's emulation or a PEB with a SAMS card.

35 minutes ago, Tursi said:

I can sell you one, drop me a PM.

Say what?! An F18A?

• Confused 1

I have often wondered if SAMS could be implemented onto a cartridge-- or at least, something similar to it.

The normal latching system to bank switch is all fine and good, but you need a way to generate additional chip select lines.  I figured I could do something 'like' that, by using the WE signal to temporarily disconnect the attached rom, (The bus cannot read while performing a write anyway! We would only do this if the correct address lines are raised as well, that way we know we are catching a bank-switch message), and connect a small series of transistor flipflops to "catch" the byte being written. Once the WE signal drops, you re-attach the rom's address lines, then attach the output of the flipflop array to your latching system to drive/provide the missing chip select  lines. If we catch several BYTES worth of written data, we have an epic crapton of software selectable CS pins that we can generate from them. That way, even with a small window in the address space we can tack on a buttload of potential ram banks.

• Like 1

You mean like the VM setup used in Win994a...

"Virtual Paged Memory

This option adds Virtual Paged Memory to the simulation. Users should be careful when selecting this option, because it actually requires an additional 16meg of memory from your PC. For assembly programmers, this feature allows the 16bit addressing scheme of the TI to access up to 16meg of paged memory through the upper 4k addresses of the cartridge memory port, and is greatly useful for holding large data sets. For more information, see Using Virtual Memory. 

Virtual Memory Bank Switching in the Win994a Simulator 

When the Virtual Paged Memory option is turned on, 16meg of RAM memory becomes available to the assembly language programmer in a scheme similar to that described above. This allows for dummy writes to addresses >6000 to >6FFE, causing 4095 4k RAM memory banks to appear at CPU addresses >7000 to >7FFF. Be aware that virtual memory is only available when using either the Editor/Assembler or Mini Memory cartridges.

Most of the time, programmers will use virtual memory to hold large data items like huge numeric arrays or large strings. However, with some really clever use of LOADER directives and coaxing the LOADER to make a few dummy writes at >6000 through >6FFE, you can actually load executable code into virtual memory and then run it from there. Use your imagination to come up with various uses and unique ways to load Win994a's virtual memory with something useful."

• Like 1

I have often wondered if SAMS could be implemented onto a cartridge-- or at least, something similar to it.

The normal latching system to bank switch is all fine and good, but you need a way to generate additional chip select lines.  I figured I could do something 'like' that, by using the WE signal to temporarily disconnect the attached rom, (The bus cannot read while performing a write anyway! We would only do this if the correct address lines are raised as well, that way we know we are catching a bank-switch message), and connect a small series of transistor flipflops to "catch" the byte being written. Once the WE signal drops, you re-attach the rom's address lines, then attach the output of the flipflop array to your latching system to drive/provide the missing chip select  lines. If we catch several BYTES worth of written data, we have an epic crapton of software selectable CS pins that we can generate from them. That way, even with a small window in the address space we can tack on a buttload of potential ram banks.

I always wanted to put one on the back of the cartridge port. ;) You only need to tap a couple of extra lines that don't run there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

The FG99 can give 512K RAM/512K ROM. Using the >6000 - >6FFF address range for ROM and the >7000 - >7FFF range for RAM, independently switched!

1. Still not enough to hold the entire game

2. Only switchable in the >6000-7FFF range, where the SAMS allows RAM switches in the 32K RAM space.

3. ROM programming means everything is static; no dynamic calculations unless you use 32K RAM and use that space for it. Also means you have to clearly designate constants from variables.

Also, my own program is divided into 12k module blocks, one root module and several other modules for different game aspects. These reside in the upper 24K, where the lower 8K is used for data page swapping, like storing the current active map and so forth. Re-architecture around 8K ROM pages would be a major endeavor.

• Like 1