IGNORED

1050 Drive switches

mmoec

While using the SDrive Max with one of my physical 1050 drives I noticed that no matter what position the switches are in, the computer only sees it as D1. The SDrive works fine with my other 3 1050 drives. I've heard of something called a switch test, but can't seem to get anymore info on the subject, so some people suggested I try here. Is anyone here familiar with this switch test?

Thank you

There might be some 1050 diagnostic disk that lets you check the switches, but have you tried simply cleaning the switch mechanisms? With the drive powered off, spray electrical contact cleaner into the switches and cycle them both vigorously a dozen times or more, then let them dry. See if the switches work properly after that. I like Dexoit brand but it’s pricy and I have to order it from Amazon. Any plastic-safe brand should be fine.

50 minutes ago, mmoec said:

I already saw a diagnostic disk on ebay for $19.99.

An ATR image of the 1050 diagnostics disk can be downloaded here: https://archive.org/details/a8b_1050_Disk_Diagnostics_1983_Atari

Choose Option 2 "Troubleshooting Options"

Then Option 3 "Drive Select Switch Test"

Then it will prompt before testing accessing each of D1, D2, D3, D4

You can change the drive ID switch while the drive is on, and it will respond to the new drive # without a power cycle.

driveselect.png

• Like 2