IGNORED

Classic99 Full Screen on Windows 10

thejohndo

Hello! I just installed Classic99 on a Windows 10 laptop. Whenever I try to go full screen (ALT+ENTER) I always have the menu bar at the top hiding a portion of the TI99 screen. However, on my Windows 7 laptop, where I've been using Classic99 for a couple of years now, I never see the menu bar in Full Screen (which is what is expected). Does anyone know how to make this menu bar disapear in Full Screen in Windows 10?? Thanks!!! J.

One solution to this for those who want it might be OnTopReplica

Basically, it's a utility which creates a borderless, resizable window representing either all or a desired portion of an existing window.  The resulting borderless mirror window can also be maximised (which seems to be the desire here). 

Extremely useful little tool, I find. 

• Like 2

So for example, here's a copy of Classic99 running in the background, with a borderless mirror of the section of the window excluding the menu in front (Classic99 is the active window, but the OnTopReplica is always-on-top):

image.thumb.png.8a742c344dd0cbaa3d21abee8bf965ae.png

And here's an image of my monitor with an OnTopReplica of the screen image expanded to fill the entire monitor:

image.thumb.png.d37890f92d60aa1ade331f8a0e70dbde.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In case you did not know this...

You can no longer run multiple copies of Classic99 at same time anymore.

You can run Classic99 then RIGHT-CLICK on that ICON in task bar and start up another copy, but only 2 are allowed to run at once now.

Turns out this is the result of 1903 Windows 10 update limitations on Sand Box Apps and Microsoft says it is for Security reasons.

I think Microsoft is full of horseshit and makes a crappy OS on purpose.

Linux and Mac OS X does not have this problem do they?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As long as the system has the resources, linux does not limit how  many copies of a program can be running at the same time, that i know of.

For some system-programs like update managers and daemons, there may be a limit, but not for anything the typical user wants to run.

If you want 20+ instances of a program running, you're free to try it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RXB said:

In case you did not know this...

You can no longer run multiple copies of Classic99 at same time anymore.

You can run Classic99 then RIGHT-CLICK on that ICON in task bar and start up another copy, but only 2 are allowed to run at once now.

Turns out this is the result of 1903 Windows 10 update limitations on Sand Box Apps and Microsoft says it is for Security reasons.

I think Microsoft is full of horseshit and makes a crappy OS on purpose.

Linux and Mac OS X does not have this problem do they?

I don't know what to tell you, Rich.. you have some issues with your Windows 10 that I don't. Is it maybe a limitation of Home vs Pro? I know they put some dumb restrictions there. I'm running Pro on mine...

image.thumb.png.87dd717e2b67034211cd3af1b5642b54.png

• Like 1

One thing I did notice, if you start a new instance by right-clicking the taskbar, you don't get your configured starting folder. Or at least I didn't (notice how only one window is large sized). Best to run all instances from the icon/folder directly.

• Like 1

Ok I did research on this Windows 10 change. Am I the only one that reads the updates and what they changed?

Do write this program and run it in 3 Classic99 screens:

100 X=X+1

110 PRINT X

120 GOTO 100

Now I have a ton of videos you see of me running up to 6 screens of Classic99 all running at same time.

I just double clicked on Classic99 each time and ran another, since 1903 YOU CAN NO LONGER DO THIS!

Thus I had to find out why with Windows 10 1903 updated as only the most foreground Classic99 would run and only that one would run.

Why does no one research what I tell them, but instead just think they know better?

P.S. I can run up to 20 with no problems on my Window 7 Computer, but not any Windows 10 1903 computer I have tested.

https://devsjournal.com/how-to-set-cpu-priority-to-prefer-foreground-applications.html

Edited by RXB
  • Like 1

Then I must have the special multitasking-enabled version of Windows 10 1903...

They are all just running away. Obviously this is just a screen shot and not a video, but I assure you, they were all running, all at the same time, printing numbers.

classic3.PNG

Edited by Casey

"Sandbox apps" is a virtualized environment, optional feature of Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise release 1903 (build 18305 and later.)  Applications which run as a Sandboxed app have to be installed into the Sandbox (similar to the old Windows XP Mode in Windows 7, but without the full VM installation requirement.)

2 hours ago, RXB said:

Why does no one research what I tell them, but instead just think they know better?

Why not answer my question?

20 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

@RXB Why is Classic99 running as a Sandbox App?

• Like 2

I think Asmusr (can I just say Rasmus? ;) ) has the most likely cause, Rich, that's under Options.

Otherwise I can only guess it's a sandbox limitation - I don't run under the Sandbox. I tried to install it, but my system refused. :eyeroll:

I agree that Windows 8->10->future has been a terrible thing for the Windows platform, but some issues are still potentially solvable! ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

I tried your program Rich, I dunno what I can say...

I can only do this on my Windows 7 computer. 

After Windows 1903 neither my Laptop Windows 10 Pro or my Desktop HP Windows 10 Pro can do this anymore?

6 hours ago, Tursi said:

Did you check Classic99 Options->Pause when Window Inactive? Make sure it's not checked.

LOL where did that come from?

Never saw it before?

Was that part of a new download that I installed?

I have never checked that box or seen it before now, thanks Tursi!!!

But the Windows 10 Sandbox stuff is real and you can see many apps that no longer work in Windows 10 1903

Just type a search into Google: Windows 10 third party apps not working

Edited by RXB
  • Like 3