IGNORED

FinalGROM99 files reader

Papalapa

have found that FinalGROM 99 shows the name of the .BIN files with the complete name of the program inside while the SD card under Windows only shows the 8+3 filename. Due to this I think that the complete name is into the .BIN file itself.

Is there any software under Windows that allows to see and manage this names inside the .BIN file?

1 hour ago, wierd_w said:

A hex editor?  There is a header baked into the roms that contains the menu entry label. This is what is presented in the list.

Not exactly, I browsed the ROMs with the Windows Notpad and I can see information in plain text but sometimes is complicated to found the title of the ROM. I was thinking that maybe there was some program (running under Windows) to easily see the header from the ROm just loadng it.

What I mean is that the ROM program itself contains a text string that will be displayed in the menu, and it is near the top of the structure.  The TI reads this structure, and presents the string, when it gives the boot menu.

I do not know of any utilities to interrogate a rom set for this string.

Edited by wierd_w

This python script from the finalgrom github can kind of do what is being asked. You will need a python distro installed to run this.

This will allow you to see the same title as it will appear on the TI from the "press # for ... " menu screen when loaded via the finalgrom99 or classic99 user cart option.

Example output:

jrhodes@linux: ~/TI/fg99/bin $ python showcart.py phm3055G.BIN
   phm3055G.BIN: EDITOR/ASSEMBLER

showcart.py

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, wierd_w said:

What I mean is that the ROM program itself contains a text string that will be displayed in the menu, and it is near the top of the structure.  The TI reads this structure, and presents the string, when it gives the boot menu.

I do not know of any utilities to interrogate a rom set for this string.

Yeah, that's what I want, to read this string but under Windows because once the file is on the FinalGROM99 I cannot see the 8+3 filename.

My request is because I have a lot of ROMs on the SD card with similar 8+3 filenames and I want to delete some of them once tested on the TI-99/4A and discarded. To find the 8+3 filename that corresponds to the name shown in the FinalGROM99 is not always easy and in this way is complicated to delete the files that I don't want anymore.

13 hours ago, jrhodes said:

This python script from the finalgrom github can kind of do what is being asked. You will need a python distro installed to run this.

This will allow you to see the same title as it will appear on the TI from the "press # for ... " menu screen when loaded via the finalgrom99 or classic99 user cart option.

Example output:

jrhodes@linux: ~/TI/fg99/bin $ python showcart.py phm3055G.BIN
   phm3055G.BIN: EDITOR/ASSEMBLER

showcart.py 1.55 kB · 1 download

Many thanks! I'll try ?