IGNORED

FastBasic bit rotation

I found the need to do some bit rotation in FastBasic and figured it would be better just to write a small bit of assembler code.  I thought I'd post it here incase anyone found it useful.

data rotate() byte = $68,$68,$A8,$18,$68,$AA,$68,$2A,$48,$8A,$2A,$48,$88,$C0,$00,$D0,$F2,$68,$AA,$68,$60
r=adr(rotate)

result=usr(r,88,2)

First number in the USR statement is the number you want to bit-rotate, the second number is the number of left rotations you want (I didn't do right rotation 'cause I didn't need it)

So this will do the follow to the bytes:

00000000 01011000

00000001 01100000

Although I wrote it to pre shift some graphics it could also be used for doubling a number (each rotate will double the initial number) and it's faster than normal mulitplication

eg.

a=usr(r,b,3)

will double a number 3 times (b*2*2*2) which equates to:

a=b*8

Disclaimer:  I'm not great at assember, so use at your own risk :)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Preppie said:

I found the need to do some bit rotation in FastBasic and figured it would be better just to write a small bit of assembler code.  I thought I'd post it here incase anyone found it useful.

data rotate() byte = $68,$68,$A8,$18,$68,$AA,$68,$2A,$48,$8A,$2A,$48,$88,$C0,$00,$D0,$F2,$68,$AA,$68,$60
r=adr(rotate)

result=usr(r,88,2)

Thanks for sharing!

Just for completeness' sake, it would be great if you could add the assembler code as well (yes I know, I can disassemble the above and am just a lazy boy).

Hi Preppie!

3 hours ago, Preppie said:

r=adr(rotate)

result=usr(r,88,2)

First number in the USR statement is the number you want to bit-rotate, the second number is the number of left rotations you want (I didn't do right rotation 'cause I didn't need it)

So this will do the follow to the bytes:

00000000 01011000

00000001 01100000

Although I wrote it to pre shift some graphics it could also be used for doubling a number (each rotate will double the initial number) and it's faster than normal mulitplication

eg.

a=usr(r,b,3)

will double a number 3 times (b*2*2*2) which equates to:

a=b*8

It is a good example of a useful assembler routine.

It can be optimized a bit, your current code is this:

PLA
  PLA
  TAY
loop:
  CLC
  PLA
  TAX
  PLA
  ROL
  PHA
  TXA
  ROL
  PHA
  DEY
  CPY #0
  BNE loop
  PLA
  TAX
  PLA
  RTS

Some comments:

• The "CPY #0" can be omitted, as the DEY exits with the correct Z flag value.
  • The "CLC" at the start of the loop is not needed if you replace "ROL" by "ASL" ( ASL is the same as CLC+ROL )
  • You don't need to push and pop into the stack for each iteration, it is better to simply use a ZP location. The location $E0 (FR1) is a good candidate, as it is used by the floating point package but it is free to use during an USR routine.

This is the resulting code:

PLA
  PLA
  TAY
  PLA
  STA $E0
  PLA
loop:
  ASL
  ROL $E0
  DEY
  BNE loop
  LDX $E0
  RTS

And the FastBasic program:

data rotate() byte = $68, $68, $a8, $68, $85, $d4, $68, $0a, $26, $d4, $88, $d0, $fa, $a6, $d4, $60
r=adr(rotate)

result=usr(r,88,2)

Have Fun!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dmsc said:

This is the resulting code:

PLA
  PLA
  TAY
  PLA
  STA $E0
  PLA
loop:
  ASL
  ROL $E0
  DEY
  BNE loop
  LDX $E0
  RTS

And the FastBasic program:

data rotate() byte = $68, $68, $a8, $68, $85, $d4, $68, $0a, $26, $d4, $88, $d0, $fa, $a6, $d4, $60
r=adr(rotate)

result=usr(r,88,2)

Have Fun!

You use $E0 in the assembler and then $D4 in the FastBasic listing.  Looking at memory map I think $d4 is used to pass the result back to basic, which is fine, but I decided to also pass the results back in HI/LO byte format and so $d4/$d5 would get overwritten, so I swaped back to $e0/$e1.

I've just added a STA $E1 so that now you can peek($E0) for the HI byte of the result and Peek($E1) for the LO byte.  Makes it a bit easier than manipulating the FastBasic integer if you want the individual bytes. 

data rotate() byte = $68,$68,$a8,$68,$85,$e0,$68,$0a,$26,$e0,$88,$d0,$fa,$85,$e1,$a6,$e0,$60
r=adr(rotate)

edit, forgot to add the code.

Edited by Preppie

Should be noted - it's actually doing bit shifting, not rotation.  Rotate would introduce but 15's value into bit 0 of the number.

Optimizations in this case save a bit of memory and typing, given it's a USR routine a few cycles saved won't matter much.

There's tricks you can do with rotation to more easily "rotate without carry" if you wanted to do that - though for graphics work you generally don't want to retain shifted out bits.

• Like 1

Hi!

6 hours ago, Preppie said:

You use $E0 in the assembler and then $D4 in the FastBasic listing.  Looking at memory map I think $d4 is used to pass the result back to basic, which is fine, but I decided to also pass the results back in HI/LO byte format and so $d4/$d5 would get overwritten, so I swaped back to $e0/$e1.

I've just added a STA $E1 so that now you can peek($E0) for the HI byte of the result and Peek($E1) for the LO byte.  Makes it a bit easier than manipulating the FastBasic integer if you want the individual bytes. 

data rotate() byte = $68,$68,$a8,$68,$85,$e0,$68,$0a,$26,$e0,$88,$d0,$fa,$85,$e1,$a6,$e0,$60
r=adr(rotate)

You are right, I changed the code but forgot to assemble again. Thanks for the fix.

FastBasic uses locations $D4 to $DF (FR0) only in the floating-point version, to keep intermediate results of floating point calculations, so it is better to not use that locations if you plan to mix assembly code with floating point math - for example with "A% = 0.1 + USR(R)", the 0.1 would be stored in FR0.

Have Fun!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi to all.

For rotation I'd propose this set of routines.

Maybe cld at the start (d8) is not required but I insert this by default.

DATA ROL16() B. = $d8,$68,$68,$a8,$68,$85,$cc,$68,$18,$2a,$26,$cc,$88,$d0,$fa,$a6,$cc,$60
DATA ROL8() B. = $d8,$68,$68,$a8,$68,$68,$18,$2a,$88,$d0,$fc,$a2,$00,$60
DATA ROR16() B. = $d8,$68,$68,$a8,$68,$85,$cc,$68,$18,$66,$cc,$6a,$88,$d0,$fa,$a6,$cc,$60
DATA ROR8() B. = $d8,$68,$68,$a8,$68,$68,$18,$6a,$88,$d0,$fc,$a2,$00,$60

; Rotation left (16 bit)
; 1st arg: number
; 2nd arg: number of rotations
  cld
  pla
  pla
  tay
  pla
  sta $cc
  pla
  clc
loop:
  rol A
  rol $cc
  dey
  bne loop
  ldx $cc
  rts

; Rotation Left (8 bit)
  cld
  pla
  pla
  tay
  pla
  pla
  clc
loop:
  rol A
  dey
  bne loop
  ldx #0
  rts

; Rotation Right (16 bit)
  cld
  pla
  pla
  tay
  pla
  sta $cc
  pla
  clc
loop:
  ror $cc
  ror A
  dey
  bne loop
  ldx $cc
  rts

; Rotation Right (8 bit)
  cld
  pla
  pla
  tay
  pla
  pla
  clc
loop:
  ror A
  dey
  bne loop
  ldx #0
  rts

Might be more useful to preserve all bits.  I.e, 1100 1010 ROR 4 giving 1010 1100.  Your routine would give 0100 1100.

Simple to add.  Just do a pre-shift of the low bit for ROR and high bit for ROL to pre-load the carry flag.

For ROL16, change:

pla
  sta $cc
  pla
  clc

to:

pla
  sta $cc
  rol
  pla

For ROL8:

pla
  pla
  clc

becomes:

pla
  pla
  pha
  rol
  pla

I'll leave the other direction as an exercise for the reader.  ?

2 hours ago, StickJock said:

Might be more useful to preserve all bits.  I.e, 1100 1010 ROR 4 giving 1010 1100.  Your routine would give 0100 1100.

Reasonable idea, thanks! The only difference is that I'd avoid using stack when unused registers are available, to save cycles a bit

DATA CROL16() B. = $d8,$68,$68,$a8,$68,$85,$cc,$2a,$68,$2a,$26,$cc,$88,$d0,$fa,$a6,$cc,$60
DATA CROL8() B. = $d8,$68,$68,$a8,$68,$68,$aa,$0a,$8a,$2a,$88,$d0,$fc,$a2,$00,$60
DATA CROR16() B. = $d8,$68,$68,$a8,$68,$85,$cc,$68,$aa,$6a,$8a,$66,$cc,$6a,$88,$d0,$fa,$a6,$cc,$60
DATA CROR8() B. = $d8,$68,$68,$a8,$68,$68,$aa,$6a,$8a,$6a,$88,$d0,$fc,$a2,$00,$60

; Complete rotation left (16 bit)
  cld
  pla
  pla
  tay
  pla
  sta $cc
  rol
  pla
loop:
  rol A
  rol $cc
  dey
  bne loop
  ldx $cc
  rts

; Complete Rotation Left (8 bit)
  cld
  pla
  pla
  tay
  pla
  pla
  tax
  asl
  txa
loop:
  rol A
  dey
  bne loop
  ldx #0
  rts

; Complete Rotation Right (16 bit)
  cld
  pla
  pla
  tay
  pla
  sta $cc
  pla
  tax
  ror
  txa
loop:
  ror $cc
  ror A
  dey
  bne loop
  ldx $cc
  rts

; Complete Rotation Right (8 bit)
  cld
  pla
  pla
  tay
  pla
  pla
  tax
  ror
  txa
loop:
  ror A
  dey
  bne loop
  ldx #0
  rts

Edited by rpocc

10 minutes ago, StickJock said:

Good call on using X instead of the stack to save 3 cycles.

You do have a bug in your new code, though.  ROL16 is clearing the carry just before the loop.

pla
  clc
loop:

Oops, my bad! Fixed right in the post. btw just checked the decimal mode subject. That leading $d8 can actually be omitted since there's no sbc/adc