IGNORED

Thoughts on How to improve code - Playing around with interlacing and fonts

flickertail

Looking for thoughts on how to improve this code for a splash screen. You can see the code and test runs at this 8bitworkshop link:

I've been trying to implement a 96 pixel sprite based on the code from Steven Hugg's book and various code snippets for interlacing frames available online.

I created in the image in MS Paint using the Stranger Things Font, and then I converted it to bitmap using javscript tools (Two.js and Canvas Plus). I'm not intending to make a ST game. I just wanted to see how much of the spirit of the intro theme I could capture.

There are some spacing issues that I've been working on for days, and haven't been able to totally resolve. I'm not sure that I can without additional expert advice.

Unfortunately, the chapter in Hugg's book that covers "A Big Movable Sprite" doesn't have any example code on 8bitworkshop... and it's not entirely clear from the code in the book what will work... at least to me anyway.

The interlacing looks better on 8bitworkshop than it does on my 7800/CC2/Old-School tv combo. The my tube tv has seen better days, and I'm interested if it looks better on other setups for anyone who has a dev cart. 

Just load the code into 8bitworkshop to generate a ROM. There's no interactivity, it's just a render of the Stranger Things font.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

The code is attached

interlaced-st-working.a

Nothing like responding to your own posts... I ended up figuring out the spacing issue.

I figured out that if I set COLUBK after the Big Sprite scanlines have finished, but before the Overscan, the spacing problem goes way.?‍♂️

Here's a revised version on 8bitworkshop: Stranger Things

I gave it a bit more ST edging.

Edited by flickertail