IGNORED

Yars Revenge Sequel?

knievel1

I was at an event at a local arcade a couple years ago where he was signing games and giving a presentation.  He did mention this sequel... I think he wanted to call it "Yars Olympics"  Basically, the idea was that the Yars played a sport to train themselves for battle with the Qotile.  It sounded like he's had the idea solidly in his head since the Atari days, but hasn't ever got around to doing much work on actually coding it.  He sounded open to the idea of recruiting a homebrew programmer to do the work, but clearly he hasn't gotten around to making that happen yet.  Hope it happens someday!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I remember watching Bob Smith from Imagic talk about writing/releasing an homebrew on PRGE panels. Still waiting to hear anything else about that, would be nice to see a few of the original programmers release some homebrews much like the Dan Kitchen is talking about.

Edited by TwentySixHundred
  • Like 1

I remember hearing HSW discuss his ideas for a Yars' sequel years ago on some podcasts, too; he didn't share any game design details, but I seem to recall that he did mention paddle controls, which sounds very interesting.  I'm glad that some of the original programmers are still thinking of developing new games for the 2600; I'd love to see them do it, and I think they'd be amazed at the tools that are available to them now.

• Like 1

I was at HSW's 2019 PRGE panel this past weekend in Portland and he said he still has the concept and nobody has thought of it yet. He said (paraphrasing) "I do have an idea for a Yars Revenge sequel...it's about 1.5 - 3.0 years out depending on things (most of the "things" are me just getting around to it though!)"...crowd laughs. He didn't say anything about someone else working on it though. I got the impression it was something he wanted to do.  

• Like 2