IGNORED

How Much Were Compilation Games When They Were New?

I'm typing up a little draft of a YouTube video I have been brewing in my mind for a while (it's about budget gaming), and I was wondering, how much the common compilation game was when it first came out (I was a wee bab when these were being released so I don't know a lot about the marketing for these)?  I'm not talking about collectors editions that had last year's game bundled with it. Think of games like Namco Museum and Sonic Gems Collection.

Edited by Magmavision2000

Compilations during the PS2/Xbox/GC generation were  $19.99...  same for stuff on Wii... I don't remember if this was the price when these games launched or it was reduced. I do know the lazy ass re-release of Super  Mario All-Stars on Wii was overpriced at $59.99... for a stupid SNES rom that would only take up like .001% if the DVD... and even if there was an emulator on the disc. But considering there was the virtual console, there was already an emulator on the console. And they didn't even bother to use the version that included Super Mario World. Sure you would have needed the Classic or Pro controller to play it... but still...

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

12 hours ago, Austin said:

Speaking of the late PS1 era into the PS2/XBOX, not expensive. Usually in the $20 to $30 range.

I'm not sure about the earlier Namco Museums on the PS1, before they became "Greatest Hits".

I remember and bought all 5 of them. They were $49.99ea.

Don't believe the Atari and Williams collections being that much though. Want to say they were $29.99.

• Like 2

I remember this stuff pretty well. 

When Playstation first launched, games were $60

Then they started putting out first party games for $50 and $40

Greatest Hits (reprints) were generally $20. Namco 1 and 3 were in this program. 

Namco Museum discs were $50 at launch

Midway Arcade Classics were $30 I think

Intellivision and Atari collections were at the lower price too, I believe. 

They seemed like good value at the time. 

• Like 2

Final Fantasy Anthology (FF5 + FF6) was $40 on the PS1 when it came out. Same iwth Final Fantasy Chronicles (FF4 + Chrono Trigger). FFA was the first time I could play Final Fantasy V (ROM hacks might have existed, but my PC was a 486 DX2 and couldn't run SNES97 at full speed), so I gladly preordered it at Babbage's.

Edited by derFunkenstein

21 hours ago, carlsson said:

Collections on the C64 usually cost as much as a single new game did, as Stupus already mentioned. Then there were budget games at a lower price but those usually were re-released individually, though there may have been budget collections as well, I don't remember exactly.

UK companies were quick putting out compilations, sometimes with great box art

Click to view full size image

Since you barely can see which titles are included, that box art would look better without the games, perhaps without the guy and the computer as well. To me it screams we have a bunch of old games that already have been copied to death, now we're trying to sell them one last time using a hint of sex appeal as it will lure at least a few teenage boys.

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

Since you barely can see which titles are included, that box art would look better without the games, perhaps without the guy and the computer as well. To me it screams we have a bunch of old games that already have been copied to death, now we're trying to sell them one last time using a hint of sex appeal as it will lure at least a few teenage boys.

Guess I could've made the box bigger

Nebulus, Rana Rama, Firelord, Zynaps, Netherworld, Alleykat (not the A8 classic). not a bad compilation

• Like 1

How far are you going back?

I looked up the Sega 6-Pak cartridge to get its original release date (1996-didn't think it came that late in the Genesis's life) and then downloaded an issue of EGM from that year. Two mail order places had it for $45 and $48. Flojo was on the money with the Namco Museum price (which had an ad bashing the 90's "in your face" advertising while they focused on fun).

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 4:00 AM, carlsson said:

Collections on the C64 usually cost as much as a single new game did, as Stupus already mentioned. Then there were budget games at a lower price but those usually were re-released individually, though there may have been budget collections as well, I don't remember exactly.

We didn’t get them in North America, or at least for the A8. Software companies liked to pretend that kids (and adults!) had tight budgets and couldn’t spend $40-$50 on a title each week (I distinctly remember seeing A8 Galaxian at a local KMart, in ‘84, for $44.95 CAD).

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 2:37 PM, Gamemoose said:

How far are you going back?

I looked up the Sega 6-Pak cartridge to get its original release date (1996-didn't think it came that late in the Genesis's life) and then downloaded an issue of EGM from that year. Two mail order places had it for $45 and $48. Flojo was on the money with the Namco Museum price (which had an ad bashing the 90's "in your face" advertising while they focused on fun).

Which issue of EGM was that?  I'd love to see that ad since I hated 90's gaming mags & ads even back then...

• Like 1