IGNORED

New Podcast - The CoCo Show

BoatofCar

Great show!  Loved it immensely and look forward to future episodes.  Also, love all that you guys are doing with the other shows, too.  Take care and best of luck.  Also, I myself and seriously considering snagging a CoCo 3 that is relatively close to where I live.  If I can get the guy down pretty low, I might just have to spring for it now that I have this show urging me on ;)

On 10/9/2019 at 2:11 PM, BoatofCar said:

You should definitely pick it up and play along with us!

I will try and see if I can snag it.  Definitely the CoCo 3 is a highly underrated machine and really deserves a lot more attention and credit than what it currently has.  The same could be said for the CoCo line in general, too.

• Like 2

Awesome show! Liked your history of the initial 4K CoCo going back to 1980, and of course the two most Popular mags Rainbow and Hot CoCo.

Here's a related quote from on of Lonnie Falk's editorials that stuck with me and is still applicable today:

"When we had 4K we rarely ran out of memory because we were so conscious of it. OM errors began to occur immediately after we upgraded to 16K simply because we no longer had to write efficient code."

I also enjoyed reading Dynamic Colour News/Dynamic Electronics and the CoCo-Ads newspaper. 

I bought Sailor Man on tape from TomMix Software as soon as it was released, love the VCS Version too :)

The other game was too scary after seeing the movie but I loved the text adventures like Rakka-Tu and the Sands of Egypt, particularly liked playing different ports of the same classics like Offender and Guardian

• Like 1

Okay, quick question.  I have a CoCo 3 near me that is on sale for $75.  However, while it apparently powers on, the person selling it has no box, documents, and has not tested it on a TV and/or monitor to see if it displays properly and is fully functional.  So, my question is how much should I pay for it?  I am not the most technical savvy guy out there, but just wanted to know what you and/or Aaron though as I know he scored a CoCo 2 with 64k for you recently at the 'Hillbilly Fleamarket'.  Any help or advice would be much appreciated.  Until then, take care and keep up the great work.  I really enjoyed episode 2 and look forward to the next.

Downland was my first game I bought for the CoCo. It was/tough as nails and it's been a while since I played it. I got maybe five screens in BITD. I had to stop playing it as I was putting wear on the contacts of my Dad's CoCo, which caused issues with the disk controller.

Never played Zenix though it sounds familiar. My brain went to "Zone Runner" until I heard the description.

Great show so far! I just started getting back into CoCo a bit recently. I've been wanting to convert some classic BASIC games to PC, which may never happen as time is scant. However I threw down some "Rainbow Roach" (or just Roach, which was a game from the June 1983 issue of Rainbow I think) and had a blast. It's Frogger-esque in play but more difficult.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 7:54 AM, Gamemoose said:

Downland was my first game I bought for the CoCo. It was/tough as nails and it's been a while since I played it. I got maybe five screens in BITD. I had to stop playing it as I was putting wear on the contacts of my Dad's CoCo, which caused issues with the disk controller.

Never played Zenix though it sounds familiar. My brain went to "Zone Runner" until I heard the description.

Great show so far! I just started getting back into CoCo a bit recently. I've been wanting to convert some classic BASIC games to PC, which may never happen as time is scant. However I threw down some "Rainbow Roach" (or just Roach, which was a game from the June 1983 issue of Rainbow I think) and had a blast. It's Frogger-esque in play but more difficult.

Gidday GameMoose..

Have you joined the Coco group in Facebook? and also there is a Discord group that also deals with the beloved coco machines....

laters

Briza

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Glad you guys have been enjoying the shows! I've neglected to update here as they've come out-I apologize!

We're up to Episode 6 now, where we just got done talking about The CoCo Show Episode 6 - The Sands of Egypt / Buzzard Bait. Check it out!

https://anchor.fm/amigospodcast/episodes/The-CoCo-Show-Episode-6---The-Sands-of-Egypt--Buzzard-Bait-e9h2lg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BoatofCar said:

Glad you guys have been enjoying the shows! I've neglected to update here as they've come out-I apologize!

We're up to Episode 6 now, where we just got done talking about The CoCo Show Episode 6 - The Sands of Egypt / Buzzard Bait. Check it out!

https://anchor.fm/amigospodcast/episodes/The-CoCo-Show-Episode-6---The-Sands-of-Egypt--Buzzard-Bait-e9h2lg

No worries!  We know how busy you guys are with the multiple shows.  Just checked out Episode 6 the other night.  Man, I gotta say the CoCo is probably one of the most underrated gaming machines out there.  Why this computer line is not more popular or well known makes one wonder.  Anyway, keep up the great work and I look forward to Episode 7 and beyond!

• 2 months later...

I apologize again for the lack of updates-it's been all systems go on our newest show, 1200XL. But The CoCo Show is still rocking and rolling!

Super Pitfall is definitely the weakest entry in the series, but does it deserve its infamous reputation? Find out what we think on this week's The CoCo Show, a TRS-80 Color Computer podcast!

You can subscribe to all the The CoCo Show podcast here:

https://anchor.fm/thecocoshow

and of course there's always the Youtube version. 

Edited by BoatofCar

On 12/20/2019 at 12:01 PM, Hwlngmad said:

No worries!  We know how busy you guys are with the multiple shows.  Just checked out Episode 6 the other night.  Man, I gotta say the CoCo is probably one of the most underrated gaming machines out there.  Why this computer line is not more popular or well known makes one wonder.  Anyway, keep up the great work and I look forward to Episode 7 and beyond!

I think it's got everything to do with distribution. Though there were tons of Radio Shacks back in the day, it was at the manager's discretion how much or little CoCo presence there was in each store. It also hurt the platform that RS was too cheap to license ports of popular titles.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BoatofCar said:

I think it's got everything to do with distribution. Though there were tons of Radio Shacks back in the day, it was at the manager's discretion how much or little CoCo presence there was in each store. It also hurt the platform that RS was too cheap to license ports of popular titles.

I imagine that what you are saying is very true, especially considering the immediate success they had with the Tandy 1000 series from 1984 to around 1990.  Even the TRS-80 Model 1 and Model 4 were really good sellers in their time, too.  Still, the CoCo is surprising me week after week, and I look forward to seeing more of what it had (and still has) to offer.  Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hwlngmad said:

I imagine that what you are saying is very true, especially considering the immediate success they had with the Tandy 1000 series from 1984 to around 1990.  

Yeah, it's hard to imagine why someone would choose a CoCo3 over a Tandy 1000 in the mid-late 80s.