IGNORED

Uno Cart on 48k 400 - It Works!

Paul Westphal

I have put the original Atari 48k ram card in many 400's but I only just recently tried the Uno cart on them and IT WORKS! - FYI the Uno cart will not run on a 800 without modification, to the best of my knowledge. I have notified Macrorie of The Brewing Academy. I will do some more testing to see what will and will not run.

I have four 48k 400's if you need one.

Paul

Eightbitfix.com

IMG_0307.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

Edited by Paul Westphal
  • Like 5

Pretty cool ? .

A 400 was my original Atari back in 1981, which I later upped the ram with a 48K card as well. Having an Uno Cart in one of those would make it truly useful. BTW where do you find these? I frequent all the thrift stores in my area, as well as some surrounding cities and never see a single Atari item what-so-ever. I remember back in the mid to late 90's picking up boxes of Atari stuff at flea markets for pennies on the dollar. Those were the days :) .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Paul Westphal said:

The Brewing Academy has the Uno carts. I have four 48k 400's if you need one. Two with dust covers. Pm me

I probably should have been more clear on my question. Yes I know that The Brewing Academy is selling the Uno Carts, and I also know that you sell retro systems and games. My actual question was more out of curiosity, as to where you find the retro systems you sell. This isn't meant to circumvent you, because I realize that the systems you sell have been thoroughly cleaned, tested, and come with a guarantee. So other than eBay I was wondering if the Oregon area still had 8-bit Atari's turning up in thrift stores and flea markets, because I'm not seeing that in my area anymore, and haven't for over a decade.

I already own a dozen 800XLs, a couple of 600XLs and XEGSs, one 1200XL, and one 65XE. Although I have history with both the 400 and 800, they take up too much room compared to the XLs, so I haven't been actively collecting either of those models. Of course I've also got a few 1088XELs and 1088XLDs in various states of assembly, with these now being the main systems I play around with. I'm content with the number of original Atari systems I have in my collection, and the only reason I have so many 800XLs is because I was able to buy 5 of them from one seller on eBay several years back for $100 w/free shipping. Couldn't pass on that deal, and they all worked ;) .

Keep doing what you do, and I love your website ? .

• Like 1

Thanks! ( it’s all good ? )

They don’t really appear that often in the wild. The last 8 bit  I got was a 400 off Portland Craigslist for $25. I see SOME at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo and usually pick those up for a song. I would be extremely lucky to find a unit at a retro game store and it’s pretty rare to see carts their as well. I’m very busy, so local enthusiasts usually beat me to the Craigslist posts , so I gave up trying. Once in a while I get donations of broken units ( thanks Kevin Savetz ) ?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Paul Westphal said:

Did some further testing and I can't get .atr files to load on it. All .xex so far will ( up to 48k ram of course )

I believe this is because the XEX loader uses the XL/XE's ability to copy the OS to RAM (which the 400/800 can't do) to which it then modifies the OS to redirect disk IO to the Uno...

Cheers Paul!

58 minutes ago, Nezgar said:

I believe this is because the XEX loader uses the XL/XE's ability to copy the OS to RAM (which the 400/800 can't do) to which it then modifies the OS to redirect disk IO to the Uno...

Cheers Paul!

you mean the uno's ATR function uses RAM under ROM...for the OS in RAM  that is modified to redirect disk IO. XEX loading is fine as it does not need further disk access... the 400 and 800 do not have RAM under the ROM unless you have upgraded the memory with an upgrade that provides it.

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 2 years later...

Old topic I know, but I was trying my Uno Cart with my recently RAM upgraded 400. I installed the tf_hh upgrade configured to 48KB not long ago, and everything works great, but not the Uno Cart.

I mean, I see the menu but it's like there is no content in the memory card...

I know another Atari user from around here (Spain) who has an Atari 800 and have the same issue. It's the 48K 800, without any modern upgrade. So being this is a XL/XE cartridge, we accepted this it the way it's made, until I read this post and got shocked this works on other people's 400s.

The only difference I can see is other users did the normal-old upgrade. Did anybody try this with the tf_hh RAM upgrade?

Edited by scelbi8h

There was talk on another thread of changing certain pull-up resistors to 1K on Atari 800s for better compatibility with modern cartridges.  This would probably also hold true with the 400.  I'm sorry, I'm not sure which resistors these are, of if this could be the case, but it is the one commonality between the 400 and the 800 you describe that have experienced this problem.

Hopefully someone else here knows exactly which resistors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClausB said:

R108 and R109 on the 800 mainboard.

R14 and R15 on the Atari 48K board.

I'd imagine this same mod for the 800 would apply to the 400, but no doubt be different resistor #s (on the mainboard).

Would you know what those R#s would be on a 400 ?

• Like 1

So, is it just a hardware issue? I thought there are software issues that prevent UnoCart to run in an 800 computer.

I have the AVGCart, and I might be wrong, but I remember it works with the Atari 800, but you need to keep the door open.

Is there a workaround to make UnoCart functional in non-xlxe systems?. Ill be glad even with ROM (carts) emulation only.

20 hours ago, ClausB said:

The 400 mainboard doesn't have those resistors. They are on the 48K RAM board.

But do you mean the tf_hh board? I would really like to make this cartridge work on my 400.

By the way, thanks everybody for your responses :)

Edited by scelbi8h

Regarding the Atari 800, I made both modifications yesterday:

1.- Changed R108 and R109 from 680 to 1K

2.- Left cartridge mod to feed Phi2 to pin "S" rather than Ras

Then I tried UnoCart and I got the UnoCart screen without any files (empty list)(looks like it crashed). Same as reported by @scelbi8h

Thinking that maybe the Atari 800 boots too fast, I tried booting with Start button and then reset, but I got the same result.

BTW, my Atari 800 has no modifications, other than the one described. And it came with an original 16KB RAM card and one 32KB ram card MPC AT-32.

Hi @manterola,

Have you tried booting without an sd card, to see if you get the "can't find sd card" error message (according to: https://github.com/robinhedwards/UnoCart/blob/master/UnoCart_EXCEL4.pdf ) - also, I think it has to be formatted with FAT32 (not exFAT, etc.), and if that doesn't work, maybe another sd card for testing? Not sure if @flashjazzcat has anything to add on trouble shooting the UnoCart?

I haven't tried extracting the SD card, yet. However, I used to use this Unocart all the time in XL/XE machines. That until I got an AVGCart. I know UnoCart is supposed to work on XL/XE machines, only. But after this thread got bumped, I decide to try to make this UnoCart work with my only Atari 800.

The Atari 800 I have is located in the living room, without fancy new or old Atari Peripherals, as I have limited space there, and it is connected to the big TV there, so it is supposed to be more like a Game console. I keep some original cartridges there, to play, but I don't have access to all Atari Library of games there. So, UnoCart is collecting dust, why not make good use of it? Additionally, I housed the Unocart board inside a brown classic Atari 8 bit cartridge, so it fits perfectly with the Atari 800, and I can close the door without problems (unlike AVGCart, by the way AVGCart works with the Atari 800)

Finally, I have noticed that the UnoCart crashes in different points, as sometimes I get the typical Atari blue (light blue) and sometimes I get the more deep blue used in the UnoCart menu. Anyway, maybe the menu use some call to XL/XE OS only routine, and if that is the case, they is no way make it work, unless the menu program is fixed to make it compatible.

Edit: I did the test without SD Card and I got the same result. Maybe it has something to do with the OS revision (I just discovered I got my Atari 800 with revision OS Rev A)

Edited by manterola

I think you should be able to get the menu + files list regardless of OS, it would only fail to load ATRs as that uses a modified OS sitting in RAM under an XL/XEs OS (e.g. top 16K of a 64K machine's RAM). I think the loader uses documented OS calls, so it should be OK, code wise.

I'm guessing this is a hardware issue, rather than software, but I'm not a hardware hacker, and unfortunately can't think of anything else to try.