IGNORED

Having 32K Vs. Not?

bretthorror

Do I need the 32K expansion to enjoy gaming on it for the most part? I doubt the system has a "killer app", but will I be missing out on the better games not having the expansion? Are the factory joysticks good or is there a better option? Would love to hear from anyone who has an opinion on this system because I'm literally starting out with zero knowledge.

I'm a total beginner with the TI-99/4A and aside from an old Vic 20 I had as a 5 year old (it busted), I don't really know/remember anything about classic computers. I plan to get the flash cart from The Brewing Academy and the system I purchased came with the voice synth module. I love old school games and have virtually every home cart/CD console ever made, so I know I'm gonna love it, but seeing as I am gonna get the flash cart anyways, I'm trying to avoid checking Youtube reviews/gameplay footage to be surprised when I load up my cart. I have bad luck with early 80s consoles functioning properly (75% of "tested" items I have bought from that era have arrived non functional, which is why I haven't dabbled into more computers), but I found this one in the wild with a return guarantee. I purchased the RCA cord and it looks and functions immaculately, so I've already developed a soft spot for the system, despite not even having tried out the one game it came with (Jawbreaker II), and a stack of about 15 manuals that were included in the original box with the console.

Thanks in advance, would love to hear any useful tidbits about the system and what it has to offer.

Edited by bretthorror
Wrong Flashcart
  • Like 1

1) You can play most games, especially original era licensed games, without the 32K expansion.  But especially for homebrew titles, it's a very common requirement.  It's an original era upgrade that can be had cheaply and conveniently in a simple plugin format, so while it's not essential I feel like it's hard to justify not having it.  Particularly widespread since both of the predominant means of peripheral expansion emulation (TIPI and NanoPEB) inherently include it.  So you probably end up with it, one way or another. 

2) The joysticks (painsticks) are terrible.  Even fresh out of the box.  Get (or make) an Atari joystick adapter, and you have much more attractive options. 

For further details, see the intro/FAQ thread.

• Like 3

take my opinion with a HUGE grain of salt, but I felt like having a 32k expansion greatly 'expanded' the capabilities of the system.  Game-wise, there's not many original games that utilize it, but there are tons of EXCELLENT homebrews that make use of the additional memory.

IMO 'killer app' games that are original are Tunnels of Doom and Adventure.  :) 

The joysticks are called 'pain sticks' for a reason- I only use them for when I want to feel 'authentic'.  I bought an adapter and use a 9-pin NES-style controller or one of my uber Best-refurbed Atari 2600 CX40 sticks otherwise.  My wrists and hands kill me with arthritis so I vastly prefer a joypad.

• Like 1

Without of 32K or SAMS 1 Meg RAM is like living life with your legs in a potato sack.

You can do it, but WHY?

(Not like Prices are to extreme for hardware or that Emulation of the TI99/4A costs money?)

Edited by RXB

Sooner or later, you're going to be like "Damn... I wish I had 32K so I could play that."

32K usually goes hand in hand with some form of disk system. TIPI and the NanoPeb are the easiest methods to get those without acquiring a Peripheral Expansion Box (which are still relatively uncommon and expensive to ship.)

I'll throw my two cents in that a SAMS system is REALLY nice to have, but at this time, the only vector for it on hardware is a PEB card. There's been a few projects around to create a sidecar option for it but not have reached a state of retail availability. Also, there is really no software that NEEDS the SAMS system as yet. At least until I get my CRPG game out there. :)

• Like 3

They aren't hard to find (unlike F18As... I cant seem to find anyone with one for sale.), I got one off ebay pretty painlessly.  When I get my sidecard TiPi, it should be all good from there. (Still waiting on ArcadeShopper to mail it.)
Hoping they ship to me here this week. Fingers crossed then I will test each one and ship them out

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk