IGNORED

Glitch with Atari 400 Moon Patrol

Rik

So, i set up my Atari 400 after a long while. While playing Moon Patrol, all is fine until after choosing the continue game option more than 2 times, the game starts going haywire. The Moon buggy fires missiles by itself and when it hits the next check point letter, it starts again at last check point and loops like that until I reset the game. Anyone else get this glitch? If it is a glitch which it seems to be, i hope it's just the cartridge and not the console itself, my other games seem to run just fine though, thanks guys.

Edited by Rik

I don't remember that happening... is your 400 upgraded in any way? when was the last time the cartridge port or card edge of the cartridge  cleaned?  after the it's clean and re seat the all the parts of the 400, if still an issue... you have to decide memory chip replacement or upgrade memory time.... or other issues...

Edited by _The Doctor__

It would be good to test the cart on another computer to see if the problem also exhibits itself there, to at least narrow down either the computer or the cart. But I understand it sounds like the 400 is your only machine at this time. Maybe there is someone here near you that can help test it.

Thanks for the replies. I have given the cart a cleaning, that's the 1st thing i do with all my games carts regularly but i have not cleaned the pins in the 400 port in a long while, i will do that 1st. I do have access to another 400 i can test with. It just occurred to me that i may have another Moon Patrol cart, i have not been gaming in a long while so i'm a little hazy on what games i do have in my collection which is fairly large, i'll have to check.  If it does the same thing on another 400, will it be safe to say its a problem with the cart itself?

Okay after narrowing down the causes, i've "embarrassingly" found the cause. I figure it could still help others should they do the same silly thing i did. What i did was instead of pushing the number "2" on the keypad to continue the game, because of playing in a dark room i would sometimes carelessly push "1", or "3" instead, which made the game do what i described which would explain why it did it intermittently.  I tested it 3-4 times just to be sure,  and all is okay! I'm just glad there's nothing wrong with the games or the console.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Sorry been busy with work for a while. Like i said in post #8 pushing 2 on the keypad continues the game, like the arcade version does, to continue at the last level you died ,  instead of starting from beginning, like it says in the instruction manual scan that i also looked up.

moon_patrol_atari_i_2.jpg

Edited by Rik
adding more info
  • Like 1