IGNORED

Do you plan on getting both systems next year

Jim Pez

Next year the intellivision amigo comes out around the same time as the next gen systems. Do you plan on getting the amigo and a next gen system next year. Total cost would be around $700 with out tax. might just get the amigo and wait while before geting a next gen system. 

Edited by Jim Pez
  • Like 1

I don't plan on touching the Amico with a ten foot pole unless someone gifts one to me (highly unlikely). The company doesn't have much of a proven track record and the games themselves looking little more than cheap smartphone games on a TV doesn't give me enough confidence to warrant investing in it. I'm open to changing my stance on it after it's released and there's feedback available on it, but as it stands now I've got more than enough (not to mention a constant flow) of 2D indie titles to play on current systems, along with stuff released on Steam.

For the other upcoming consoles, I'm most likely to jump on the next Xbox as I have a large history of games linked to my Microsoft account. The system is due to be backwards compatible in the same way the current Xbox One is, so that means a greater backlog at my disposal along with the likelihood of better performance/load times of previous titles, if the existing Xbox One X has been anything to go by. I will consider getting a PS5 sooner rather than later if a Bloodborne follow-up is announced or if there are other games that look interesting to me.

• Like 3

We completely skipped the PS4 / XBone generation, though did pick up a Switch a couple of years ago.  Compared to their predecessors, both the Sony and Microsoft consoles felt like they weren't offering enough to justify the upgrade: it was essentially more of the same, but in 4K.  The next generation is going to have to avoid falling into that category before we'd consider buying.

• Like 1

Every console generation, I tell myself I really should pick a side or just sit it out. I don't play enough console games to make it worth owning everything. There just isn't enough time in the day. 

Then along comes something I really want to try, or an offer that I can't refuse. FOMO wins out. They're not that expensive in the scheme of things, it's really more of a question of time and focus. 

I'm with @Austin re Intellivision Amico, I want to wait and see what comes out. I'm not against mobile style games (mobile games are awesome) but I want to see how they manage the pipeline. It will be difficult for a small company to keep a flow of content coming, and there's so much other stuff to play, even if I just stick to what I already have. My iPhone or the Switch have enough games to keep me busy forever. 

I have an Nvidia Shield that plays phone games and I've purchased 1 game since I bought it.  No need to get a console that only plays phone games but does none of the other things the Shield is capable of.  However, I do give them credit for not trying to crowdfund it on Indiegogo.

I plan on getting the next Xbox though just because I can.  I want to see how awesome the load times really are with the SSDs since they're already pretty good on the Xbone and it's sleep mode.

Hey, you forgot to mention that slick looking new Atari console that is due next year... ?

Actually there probably are lots of also-ran gaming consoles if you dig around, though few or none of those will be able to make a name in the same magnitude as Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony are. Well, perhaps Apple though I think they're going for the more casual approach.

• Haha 6

eeeh, i dunno.  For me, the primary compelling reason I'd switch to the next-gen XBox would be if there were 100% backwards-compatibility with XBox One systems. Full disclosure on my part, I haven't really read up on the next-gen consoles a great lot, so my opinions may be moot.  :)   I don't have many games, but I'm just not interested in my old age in hopping to an updated platform and just having to start over with my game library (again).  That being said, if Forza Motorsport 8 is the best thing since sliced bread, it'd be a tempting purchase.

I bought a Nintendo Switch last November- except for the occasional binges of the Borderlands games and FM7/FH4 titles, I'm just not interested in playing my XBox One S a whole lot.  The Switch scratches my itch for a hybrid portable and docked system.  The titles available (and to be available) are way more appealing to me than Microsoft's current offerings.

I'm watching the Amico, but pretty unsure until more concrete stuff materializes next year.  It looks neat, but.....

40 years of gaming, I have yet to be an early adopter of any console. The closest would be either the Wii, 8 months after release, or maybe NES, which I got for Christmas in 86 after it became more widely available in NA. But it's usually at least a year, once the kinks are worked out.

• Like 4

Do the next-gen systems already have a release date?

I'm sticking to Nintendo for my modern gaming needs (ironically I play the NES/SNES apps more than I play the modern games) so PS5 and Xbox 4 are a no go for me.

• Like 2

I still haven't even gotten a Xbox One. Just a Wii U and a Playstation 4. So I won't be getting both next year.

Of course if something very tempting happens with Xbox Next (i.e., full original Xbox backwards compatibility), I may skip the Xbox One entirely and just buy the more expensive (And fully XB1 compatible) Xbox Next. And similarly, if PS5 offered HD rendered playback of all PS2 discs, I'd consider being a pretty early adapter. I really love how nice the 3d games of that generation look in emulation when the resolution constraints of their original hardware are lifted. 

Since I don't see that happening, I'll likely buy a Xbox One S one of these days and let the next generation play out for a few years while I enjoy sales and hardware with all the kinks worked out of it. 

Edited by Atariboy

The amico may have tablet style games but it will also let us play original intellivision games on a modern tv. It will have a better controller then the original intellivision with touch screen for the overlays. They may even be able to get the licenses for games that were not avaliable on the flashback and intellivision lives game.

I’m more interested in the Amico than the any other next gen console. I need to be convinced that ray tracing and 4k gaming is a need. So far I’ve been very happy with 60fps and 1080p with Stella and my hdmi modded 2600. But who knows, maybe I need some ray tracing? I’m sure it looks great combined with HDR.

Maybe as with the PS4 pro the super sampling will be very impressive at 1080p on the next gen consoles. I’ve honestly never seen the original Battlefront 2 look better than when played on an Xbox One X. I couldn’t emulate anything better looking on my super powerful PC.

As a gamer yeah I’m always excited for new hardware. As a father and Husband, I really don’t have time or desire to play more than 15-30 minutes of any game system per day. That usually ends up being the 2600, OG Xbox, or Wii U. And honestly I get more from the 2600 in that time frame. Minus load times and updates, I get about 5-10 minutes less on my other 2 consoles.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, adamchevy said:

I’m more interested in the Amico than the any other next gen console. I need to be convinced that ray tracing and 4k gaming is a need. So far I’ve been very happy with 60fps and 1080p with Stella and my hdmi modded 2600. But who knows, maybe I need some ray tracing? I’m sure it looks great combined with HDR.

Maybe as with the PS4 pro the super sampling will be very impressive at 1080p on the next gen consoles. I’ve honestly never seen the original Battlefront 2 look better than when played on an Xbox One X. I couldn’t emulate anything better looking on my super powerful PC.

As a gamer yeah I’m always excited for new hardware. As a father and Husband, I really don’t have time or desire to play more than 15-30 minutes of any game system per day. That usually ends up being the 2600, OG Xbox, or Wii U. And honestly I get more from the 2600 in that time frame. Minus load times and updates, I get about 5-10 minutes less on my other 2 consoles.

I very highly doubt these new systems will pull off 4k with Ray Tracing. Maybe with very light rtx. I dont even think the mighty $1,000+ 2080ti can pull that off at 60fps and I highly doubt these new systems GPUs will be more powerful than that card. Unless we are talking 30 fps with dips.

• Like 1

Will I buy the next-gen consoles? Yes. I imagine I will end up buying the PS5, the Scarlett, the Amico & the Playdate.

Will I buy them next year? NO. The main concern with any new console is always, always about the games. Of the 4, the only one I've got hands on experience with is the Playdate. It's the only one I expect to be buying out of the gate. It's a bit out of character for me, but the (relatively) low price, getting all of the first games included with the system, & the pedigree of the developers they have lined up has me willing to make the leap. Plus, it's a quality lil' device- amazing screen clarity.

The others will likely wait awhile, based on what games release for them & when I feel it's a good time to buy in.

• Like 1

I already ordered my Collectorvision Phoenix!! And I'm  Super Stoked!    ..So Next Gen?  Nope.   ...Amico...Big maybe leaning towards yes...The family friendly angle kind of pushes me away, but the abundant Retroness and enthusiasm of the team plus games (shown in little teasers) kind of brings me back on board.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

I'm kind of done doing multi-modern platform as it got overwhelming and underwhelming at the same time.  Too many games for the time I have, and well the PS4 was a huge let down with subpar sequels to things I loved last time around and the rest I could run on my PC better than it could do so it got dumped.  I have a lack of time as it is now to just play Switch stuff, so no, nothing's being bought unless Nintendo plays keep-up and does a Switch Pro using that upgraded TegraX2 format so they can still receive handheld port conversions and more new still seemingly excellent stuff to play.  Handheld is just easier, but the docking choice is welcome as I do use it.  My PC as it is is still five years later kind of a beast stuff with a 980 8GB video card to it and plenty of RAM to use I can expand if I had to so I'm covered.

• Like 1

I will not be touching another Xbox or Sony system...period.. games stopped being interesting and innovative 3 consoles ago, same old crap over and over again with a year or sequal number after most of the games.. no thank you.

I do plan to go for Amico, Omni, Phoenix.  I may try out Stadia once the reviews come in for any garbage modern games that I may want to try (don't expect that to happen however haha)

I already own a Switch and will play Animal Crossing on it when it comes out.

• Like 4

I think I'd get a Switch first, but I'm more than content with what I have now. The PS5 sounds cool feature-wise from what I've read, but unless a new Silent Hill game that's a console exclusive comes out, I'm good. I'm at the point in my life where I have plenty of games, books, comics, and shows where I wouldn't be bored if I was stranded somewhere.

If anything, I think I'd rather focus on upgrading my PC, maybe even for VR. There's a lot of great games like Dusk and Overload that are inspired by the PC games of the 90's and early 00's that I loved, so it makes sense to me to focus on that. Plus there's the level editors and mods and all those older games I've missed that I can play through now, like System Shock 1&2 and Deus Ex. If it wasn't for GOG and their DRM free policy, I probably wouldn't be as into PC gaming.

• Like 2